Lets play the Freshman

I remember during the recruiting, when we got Beck.  I was pretty excited, because it seemed like he would be a good addition to our new WCO.  Why isn't he played at all?  Can he be played?

Why would you burn a red shirt to a young QB who hasn't played a single down and the OL lets their D sack our starting QB 9 times? Makes no sense to do that!!!! Anyone remember when BC pulled Daley out last year?

This goes with my questions. I guess I don't totally understand the red shirt program. If he plays, then what? Is this someting that Beck expected when he signed on for Nebraska? Not being able to play.

Red shirt simply means if he doesn't play a single down as a true freshman then he will be tagged with a Red Shirt. In other words he will still have 5 years to play 4. If he plays he burns his red shirt and has 4 years to play 4.

It's always been confusing to me. So, if he doesn't play this year, he can play for the next 5 years, is that what you are saying? Forgive me if I sound like a complete moron, but I really never did understand the whole redshirt thing.

woohoo...... the winds of a loss are blowin through the cornfields

Once again, though, this is a game we could have, and should have won, just like last week. I don't see that as a reason to burn a possible beck redshirt and such things like that.

I don't think it's fair to throw in the season yet, either. hahaha, I know, I know, they are emotional reactions to the loss.... but I just can't take them seirously.

Everybody knows our OLine is not so great. But this was the most talented Dline we'll see this year, and I think we did very well. A lot of little things could have won us the game, but we lost. I don't quite know about the fake feild goal thing; it seems like everyone knew it was going to happen, but the players on the field didn't.

Even if the coaches say FGblock, you gotta know that as a player, IMO.

A very close loss, worthy of OU NU lore and history.

As far as playing freshmen..... I still standby what I said in the other post. But I am uncertain, sitll, of how much they would really gan from playing much more this year. Perhaps the RBs, but not beck, I don't think. We can save beck for the future.....

(though, if anything should happen to zac, I've got nothing wrong with Beck as #2 )

I agree that BC may not be playing Beck because our Oline is so bad this year. I guess my only concern is that if Beck is as good as they say he is, why would he stay around another year? As much as the NFL pays...I think Beck leaves us a redshirt Junior, but we will see.

I understand your thoughts on this but I'm not sure thats such a bad thing. If he leaves early for the NFL that probably means he has done quite well, which probably means we have done quite well. Also, Callahan has shown than he can recruit big time QB's (Beck, now Freeman) so hopefully, if Beck were to leave early we have a very viable backup ready to step in.

Right but why not play him then?  We might as well use him while we have him... Besides we might as well see how good he is,  if he can't cut it then we need to do some better recruting.  How is Becks speed anyway.  It is painful to see the o-linemen being as fast as our QB.  

It's pretty evident that you aren't going to be happy until Callahan is fired and the wco offense is gone. Saying that if a true freshman (who was rated as the second best qb in the nation) can't "cut it" we need to recruit better is absured. I also know Taylor is no speed demon, but he has made some huge plays with his feet. Speed is always nice, but not essential for a qb (peyton and eli manning, joe montana, matt leinart)

No, I don't want BC fired. No I don't want to get rid of the WCO. I just want to see an offense that works consistantly, and is not predicatable. Beck is stepping up a level in the game. He is now playing agaisnt the best college players, not just HS players. He very well may cut it, but we won't know for sure until he actually gets in the game. I think that if he is successful he will leave NU after 4 years here, one way or another. The NFL pays pretty well. The more I think about it I think at this point BC will leave Taylor out hanging out there and save Beck for next year when we have some good linemen.

On another note, I heard BC pretty much squashed the walkon prgram at NU. Is this true? It seams to me we used to get a large number of great linemen as walk-ons from NE and surrounding states. Any thoughts?

lucky has had his fair share of carries in this game if you didn't know...

He's a bad running back at this point. Good returner.

I think we will beat ku, their offense is terrible. Worse then ours.

I thought we were the worst team in football?

First you can't put beck in at this point you risk shattering his confidence with the way this line is playing, He is probably praying taylor doesnt get hurt and even if taylor does get hurt they should put davis in not beck.

Second: lucky looks like he is running with cement in his shoes even on kick off returns where he is picking up 30 0r 40 yards he should be taking them to the house.

What happend to Brandon Jackson? I would like to see him and Cody Glenn on the field together. They need punishers on the field. Let these guys pound on defenses for awhile and maybe porkchop will enjoy more yards in his final few games.

:bang and can we please stop spotting teams 14-21 points. Down with the 3man line on third and long :wtf Coz it aint working nix the experiment already!

First you can't put beck in at this point you risk shattering his confidence with the way this line is playing, He is probably praying taylor doesnt get hurt and even if taylor does get hurt they should put davis in not beck.

:yeah puttin beck in could ruin the rest of his career the way the line has been working, he really hasnt had much college contact if any at all, especially in games