Stopping Shaw

Stickney

I haven't watched really any game tape of SCar -- their QB Shaw -- is he a "running QB" or is he a mobile passing QB? (ie -- are they called run plays or are they scrambles)

NU fans understand that the difference is slight, but was just curious.

How is their running game predicated? Pro-style? Zone read?

More of a running QB. Read option and designed (delayed) QB draws (send 4 WR's on deep fly or post routes to pull of LB coverage and then beat the DL to the corner). That being said, he's also pretty accurate while on the move. His stats improved thru the year as he got playing time. Over the last couple of games he was 16 of 18 for 234 yds and 14 of 20 for 208 yds. He threw 3 td's in each of those games. In those games he averaged over 100 yds on the ground and scored a running TD in each.

I haven't watched really any game tape of SCar -- their QB Shaw -- is he a "running QB" or is he a mobile passing QB? (ie -- are they called run plays or are they scrambles)

He plays a little of both. One of Spurrier's critics on him is that he is too quick to tuck and run instead of creating more time with his feet. He also has several designed runs out of the shotgun as well.

How is their running game predicated? Pro-style? Zone read?

Zone read mostly, that's where a lot of shaw's runs come out of.

Zone read primarily, but we have thrown in the option here and there. We also play a lot of spread with 3 WR's to give him more running room.

In the past 7 games, since he's been the starter here are his stats:

67.5% Completions

1187 Passing Yards

12 Passing TD's

6 INT's

107 Rushes

443 Net Rushing Yards

4.1 Yards per Rush

7 Rushing TD's

0 Fumbles Lost (that I can remember)

His last 40 yard dash timed him at 4.5 sec's. So he's not Vick, but he can move pretty well, and he's been playing in a zone read system since High School and his best two games were the last 2 that he played, IMO. Although, the Kentucky game he put up great stats, but it was Kentucky, so take it for what it's worth.

LU, good review. I would add that he is tough and can take a hit. The games I have seen is he makes a lot out of nothing on scrambles. Does well on broken plays and moves out quick. Decent pocket presence and can really move to make plays. Appeared accurate when on the move. USC seems to have also drawn up some designed draws and play action for him as well. Spurrier does not appear to be afraid to turn him loose.

We have had issues with mobile QB's since Bo's arrival. With our pass D coverage, it opens up those runs to the middle. Safeties over the top to help the CB's and the LB's playing wheel routes or a RB out of the backfield really leaves us exposed. David is a beast in the open field. Our DB's are becoming much better in the open field. Not really sure runs to the outside will work as we have a a defense capable of closing quickly. The busted plays and designed runs of the QB off tackle or draws really hurt. Bo has a month to prepare so I trust he will.

We won't use a spy. Never have and never will. IIRC, y'all runs spread with some power. Wouldn't surprise me to see us run our Peso as base and use a more traditional look during obvious running downs. Need to really keep the LB's home and don't bite on the play action. Watch the way the O line moves ie they pull, the play is going that way, flow to and fill. Watch the middle on passing downs so Shaw doesn't have 20 yrds of open field when he takes off. Blitz. We haven't all year so that might come as a shock to y'all. Copy MSU game plan against Michicken ie blitz every down. When we do, conceal and start closer. Stand up D line on obvious passing downs. Get penetration.

Should be a great match up. Shaw is definltly a better passer than Martinez and better scrambler. Martinez is faster than an arrow (check out sports science!) and if you miss him, he is gone. Now that this is the last game and he will have a whole off season to heal up, I expect to see a lot more of Martinez tucking and running and more designed runs from him. Teams have stacked the box all season so that will be nothing new. He has become significantly better as a passer than his throwing motion would show. He is good enough to move the chains though the air if needed.

I would add that he is tough and can take a hit.

Point taken. Keep in mind tho is that we really don't have anyone behind him. As a result, you can tell by watching film that he's "been coached" not to take the big hits if he can help it. I've seen him "slide into second base" more times this year than Ricky Henderson...

I would add that he is tough and can take a hit.

Point taken. Keep in mind tho is that we really don't have anyone behind him. As a result, you can tell by watching film that he's "been coached" not to take the big hits if he can help it. I've seen him "slide into second base" more times this year than Ricky Henderson...

Our QB does the same --- seemingly for the same reason... no one behind him. Our QB (Taylor Martinez) is nowhere near the passer that Shaw is... but is comparable in terms of running to Shaw. He is quick, though not elusive. And he is fairly hesitant as a runner. that said, TMart can, if he has a lane, can explode through that lane and run very fast.

NU, like most teams, has struggled with dual threat QB's. So... we will have trouble with Shaw.

He played vs one good team at home, Clemson.

They got smoked by Arkansas

They struggled with Florida big time.

Shaw's been a starter for the past 7 games, and he played good defenses. To put what I'm about to say in perspective, Nebraska is ranked #36 in the nation for Total Defense.

- Florida is ranked #9 in total defense. Shaw ran for nearly 100 yards and 2 TD's.

- Tennessee is ranked #28 in total defense. Shaw ran for 64 yards, 1 Rushing TD, and went 10-18 and threw a Passing TD. We really had WIlds run the ball most of the game, as he was avg'ing more than 5 yards a carry.

- Miss State is ranked #43 in total defense. Shaw was 20 for 28 in completions and threw the game winning TD in the closing minutes.

http://espn.go.com/c...292/connor-shaw

http://web1.ncaa.org...g&div=IA&dest=O

Shaw had his best games the last 2 games of the season against avg defenses of The Citadel and clemson (#59). Combining those 2 games, Shaw went 30 for 38, with 6 Passing TD's, 1 INT, 30 Rushes for 197 yards, and 2 Rushing TD's, with 0 fumbles. My point to all of this being, HE HAS played good defenses and performed well enough to win 6 of 7 games. I don't think Shaw is an RBGIII or anything, and I'm not saying that Shaw is going to explode this coming game, but he can sure enough do is manage a game even against tough defenses.

He played vs one good team at home, Clemson.

Well, we played Clemson, and we were at home, but I'm not sure I can agree on the "good" part of your statement... :)

edit: As to the rest of what you were saying there is some truth to it. The Arky game their DL shut down our run game a couple weeks after we lose our #1 RB, the guy that our offense had basically ridden for the previous year and a half. Since then, I think the coaching staff, has reworked the offense a bit to use tool they had at had.

Early in the 4th we were still within two points. A couple of 4th quarter turnovers and scores did us in (including 1 where Shaw fumbled on the SC 1 yard line with about 5 mins to go). What was lost in the final score of that game is that the gamecocks held the razorbacks on a 1st and goal inside the 5. 3 plays after the ball was turned over on downs, Shaw fumbles and the razorbacks recover on the SC 1 yd line. It still took arky two more plays to get it in (it took them 6 plays inside the 5 to get the TD). The ensuing kickoff was fumbled deep in SC territory. Our defense held them scoreless on that one too, but at that point it was a matter of time and there just wasn't enough left.

My point is, we were in the game in the 4th, but then (our own) mistakes killed us. I'm not crying, just stating what happened for those that don't follow our team. That's football.