Multiple Status Comments problem

NUance

First, this isn't really a problem--it's due to user error. I think. I'm talking about when you make a Comment to someone's status update and multiple copies of your Comment appear. I think this happens because the Comment button doesn't cause the page to reload. And people hit the button a couple of times because nothing happens. At least that's what happened to me. Fix: After hitting the Comment button and nothing happens, just hit the Reload button on your brower--the circular arrow. Your comment will appear. And people won't ridicule you because you made four copies of the same comment.

I'm not sure that is topic warrants it's own thread. But I see posters doing this (multiple comments) once in a while. So here you go.

It should reload - I just gave it a test run on knapplc's status. Kind of an ajaxy thing, once you make the comment, it appears. The issue is if you double click the 'comment' button, two requests get sent to the server, and the comment appears twice. When the server or your internet is slow, too, this probably happens a lot more...

I don't know if there is a way we can throttle comment frequency like we do posting frequency...but if there is, that should be a fix it.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to bump this because it's still an issue I see pop up a lot.

I don't think it has anything to do with page reloading times. I have a very fast internet connection and, after posting on someone's status, my computer just sits there and doesn't update the comment. I have to manually refresh the page.

To retest this, I commented on someone else's status, and then my comment loaded immediately. It was only about 45 seconds after commenting on the first status. It appears that the issue is hit or miss.

The status updates have some ajax interface going on -- I believe they are live updating, right? As opposed to posts, where you submit, it takes you to a new page, and then you see your post. I'm not sure that is something we are able to change, but it does seem to be that clicking the 'comment' button multiple times submits the request multiple times.

Not having your comment immediately display after clicking 'submit' probably has little to do with connection speed, it's a delay that sometimes can't be helped. It may have to do with server load or maybe even your system load. The problem is if nothing happens immediately, you feel like maybe you didn't click it yet. So you click again, and now you have multiple instances of the comment showing. Bad design :P