Time to start implementing more option

husker_99

The option works when the offense runs like a well oiled machine from the right talent to the right discipline. This is also true for about any other type of offense. I love the option and I think it is a good style for the Huskers to run but the scheme is not a magic bullet it has to do with talent, coaching and discipline. Being in Nebraska we are in a spot that lends its self to running/option football combined w/smash mouth defense. Despite the years that have passed we are still known as a running team and this it the identity that we can capitalize on. The option is a great scheme that sets up a good running QB for success with easy passes, but it will take more years to become an option based run team if that is what we want, I am willing to wait. That said if this is our identity we should not expect SEC and PAC 12 receivers.

The option works when the offense runs like a well oiled machine from the right talent to the right discipline. This is also true for about any other type of offense. I love the option and I think it is a good style for the Huskers to run but the scheme is not a magic bullet it has to do with talent, coaching and discipline. Being in Nebraska we are in a spot that lends its self to running/option football combined w/smash mouth defense. Despite the years that have passed we are still known as a running team and this it the identity that we can capitalize on. The option is a great scheme that sets up a good running QB for success with easy passes, but it will take more years to become an option based run team if that is what we want, I am willing to wait. That said if this is our identity we should not expect SEC and PAC 12 receivers.

True enough and well said but I don't see a lot of SEC or Pac10 wrs drop passes anywhere near as consistently as we have the last several years. So, I don't think it would change much with our recruiting if we went back to smashmouth & the option.

True enough and well said but I don't see a lot of SEC or Pac10 wrs drop passes anywhere near as consistently as we have the last several years. So, I don't think it would change much with our recruiting if we went back to smashmouth & the option.

I agree with you, seems that we should "take what we can get" as far as receivers and let them support a running team. I am in Oregon now and so I have paid more attention than usaul to the PAC 10 (or 12) and it killed me to see the UCLA receivers who wanted sunshine, hotties and a throwing QB over a Midwest smash mouth team. Running is part of our identity and we need to embrace it as I think we are starting to.

We ran plenty of option this season, and it was rarely effective. We don't have the personnel to consistently run it effectively.

Exactly. Also, Beck being a wr/passing game coordinator at Kansas has me feeling like this offense really wants to be able to pass the ball more often and more effectively. We tried many times to force the passing game down Martinez's throat, Wisconsin would be a game that really stands out. Taylor did improve throughout the season, and I think the direction of this offense will progress to a far more balanced system as the QB progresses. Just my opinion but I think we may move away from the option game as we develop a more balanced Quarterback.

That is true. The problem is that we recruit athletes and convert them to QB. TMart, Carnes, Bubba, Armstrong... We seem to have a pass minded OC that is trying to run, according his own words, a "mutt" offense featuring a lot of running, option, ZR, and drop back passing. Find one system and recruit to that. NE doesn't feature Brady's option game and Denver doesn't feature Tebow's pocket passing.