Baseball roster set?

Looks to me like Coach Erstad has his roster set for spring 2012. Some tough decisions had to be made.

I am looking forward to a fun season. I think they will be pretty scrappy on offense. It will be very interesting to see what the new coach can do with the pitching staff. Should have solid depth. Defensively I would like to see Christensen at one of the corners. Kelly at SS will give us more range. We may have to suffer through a few errors to begin with, but other than that should be solid, although catcher can be an adventure sometimes depending who they go with. Wonder when Headley will be back for SS? I haven't seen him play so I don't know what to think there. Maybe have him redshirt if he is still healing. Would like to see Urban,Fish, Stovall, Mossey and Headley redshirt.

1) Pritchard (lf)

2) Peters (2nd)

3) Sanguinetti (cf)

4) Kash (DH)

5) Farmer (1st)

6) Darby (rf)

7) Christensen (3rd)

8) Burleson/Stock rotation. Stucky in rotation on weekdays.

9) Kelly (SS)

Pinch runner - Kildow

Pinch Hitters - Kiser, Christensen

Subs - OF Cooper & Schieffert & Kildow

IF - Kiser, Kash

Pitchers & game rotations?

1) Spitznogle,Vogt,King

2) Lemke,Pierce,Hirsch,Williams

3) Keller,Hander,Bublitz,Bummer

Closer Niederkin (I don't think he's targeted as a closer but I think he would be a good closer. Throws strikes, tenacious and gets grounders. Fields his position well. Has good baseball smarts)

Weekdays

Huber,Christensen,bummer,Kubat

Looks to me like Coach Erstad has his roster set for spring 2012. Some tough decisions had to be made.

I am looking forward to a fun season. I think they will be pretty scrappy on offense. It will be very interesting to see what the new coach can do with the pitching staff. Should have solid depth. Defensively I would like to see Christensen at one of the corners. Kelly at SS will give us more range. We may have to suffer through a few errors to begin with, but other than that should be solid, although catcher can be an adventure sometimes depending who they go with. Wonder when Headley will be back for SS? I haven't seen him play so I don't know what to think there. Maybe have him redshirt if he is still healing. Would like to see Urban,Fish, Stovall, Mossey and Headley redshirt.

1) Pritchard (lf)

2) Peters (2nd)

3) Sanguinetti (cf)

4) Kash (DH)

5) Farmer (1st)

6) Darby (rf)

7) Christensen (3rd)

8) Burleson/Stock rotation. Stucky in rotation on weekdays.

9) Kelly (SS)

Pinch runner - Kildow

Pinch Hitters - Kiser, Christensen

Subs - OF Cooper & Schieffert & Kildow

IF - Kiser, Kash

Pitchers & game rotations?

1) Spitznogle,Vogt,King

2) Lemke,Pierce,Hirsch,Williams

3) Keller,Hander,Bublitz,Bummer

Closer Niederkin (I don't think he's targeted as a closer but I think he would be a good closer. Throws strikes, tenacious and gets grounders. Fields his position well. Has good baseball smarts)

Weekdays

Huber,Christensen,bummer,Kubat

Looks like you have done some serious thinking about this.................congrats.....

I expect we will see a product on the field that mirrors the head coach...........................i.e. ...............the scrappy, fiesty Fighting Erstads.............

btw..............Spitznogle.........? Any name like that HAS to have West Virginee roots.................

IMO, changes will be more by position than by players. New faces that likely will have an impact will be, Stock, Sanguenitti, Kelly, Headley and Darby...don't thnk all will have a major impact, maybe 3 of 5. We lost two position players to draft or graduation; Asche and Tolentino. This means two new faces taking their place. Maybe one other new comer will beat out a returning player:

Options:

catcher- Burleson, Stucky and Stock- IMO, Burleson and Stock sharing time. both could play with one DHing. One could win majority of playing time behind plate. This will be decided by defense first and hitting second.

1B- Kalkowski, Kalkowski or Kalkowski- IMO, Kalkowski will be our everyday first baseman unless he struggles defensively.

2nd- Sanguenitti, or Peters- If Peters wins second then Sanguenitti goes to OF

SS- Kelly or Headley- Nebraska will play with a first year player at SS for the 4th out of last 5 years

3rd- Farmer, Peters and Scheffert- Our DH may come from one of these 3 that doesn't win 3rd job.

OF- Pritchard, Christensen, Kiser, Scheffert, Darby and Cooper...or Sanguenitti if he doesn't play second- OF may be the most unsettled and most competitive for playing time.

Weekend rotation- Pierce, Keller, Huber, Neiderkline, Lemke, Hander, Spitsnogle or King- one of these pitchers may be moved to closer role. Whoever doesn't win weekend, midweek starter and closer role, will provide significant depth in bullpen.

Closer- Bublitz, Vogt, or one of the above

Bullpen- Hirsh, Bummer, Stoval, A. Christensen

* A lot of depth and variety in the pitching staff. Based on what Silva has done in his previous coaching stops, I expect our pitching will be the best it has been since 2008.

Some good thoughts Turn2. Christensen to OF would certainly shake things up. I know I have read that may happen. As you say that would allow Kash to be 1st base and Farmer to 3rd. I would like to see Darby be DH if Christensen goes to the OF. Of Burleson & Stock I think Stock may be the better defensive catcher and Burleson more valuable at the plate as a switch hitter. As you say they could rotate the DH&Catching positions. Sure want to see Darby bat though. The young Christensen is a very good hitter but he's not the fastest guy on the base pads. I think he might be a good choice to pinch hit and then have Kildow or Cooper pinch run for him.

Sanguenitti impressed me immensely and I think he is going to be the best all around player on the team. He did a great job at 2nd in fall ball and that would be my preferred spot for him, but my dilemma is what to do with Peters. Since he has lots of experience at 2nd I kept him there. Peters probably could do a great job at 3rd but then I would want to put Farmer at 1st as I thought he did well there last year. Kash certainly deserves playing time in the field but I hate to throw away experience..... It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Vogt as a possible closer sounds like a good idea to me as well.

Some good thoughts Turn2. Christensen to OF would certainly shake things up. I know I have read that may happen. As you say that would allow Kash to be 1st base and Farmer to 3rd. I would like to see Darby be DH if Christensen goes to the OF. Of Burleson & Stock I think Stock may be the better defensive catcher and Burleson more valuable at the plate as a switch hitter. As you say they could rotate the DH&Catching positions. Sure want to see Darby bat though. The young Christensen is a very good hitter but he's not the fastest guy on the base pads. I think he might be a good choice to pinch hit and then have Kildow or Cooper pinch run for him. Sanguenitti impressed me immensely and I think he is going to be the best all around player on the team. He did a great job at 2nd in fall ball and that would be my preferred spot for him, but my dilemma is what to do with Peters. Since he has lots of experience at 2nd I kept him there. Peters probably could do a great job at 3rd but then I would want to put Farmer at 1st as I thought he did well there last year. Kash certainly deserves playing time in the field but I hate to throw away experience..... It will be interesting to see how it works out. Vogt as a possible closer sounds like a good idea to me as well.

IMO, Christensen should never have been our SS (last year had no other option). Christensen is built like a greek god and should always have been on the corner somewhere. This should allow him (mentally) to focus on hitting.

MERRY CHRISTMAS