Thread Locking

Just out of curiosity, why do so many threads get locked here? I don't frequent a lot of forums, but I've never seen one where the mods lock so many threads and I don't understand why they do. There is one in the Football area, for example, that was locked today or last night for no apparent reason at all. The mod said the discussion could continue in the Woodshed if we liked. To my knowledge, there was no fighting or arguing in the thread, just a good discussion that the mod evidently got tired of.

As I understand it the Woodshed requires a password because it is more "hard core". I don't have that password, nor do I care to have it, so moving a non argumentative thread there seem ridiculous imo.

There is also a regularity of locking threads that may be of similar topic, not same, but similar. Why? What is wrong with having more that one thread that is about similar topics. I understand there is no need for duplicate threads, but multiple threads going in different angles on a similar topic is cleaner and more user friendly than 1 jumbled mess of a thread.

Just out of curiosity, why do so many threads get locked here? I don't frequent a lot of forums, but I've never seen one where the mods lock so many threads and I don't understand why they do. There is one in the Football area, for example, that was locked today or last night for no apparent reason at all. The mod said the discussion could continue in the Woodshed if we liked. To my knowledge, there was no fighting or arguing in the thread, just a good discussion that the mod evidently got tired of.

As I understand it the Woodshed requires a password because it is more "hard core". I don't have that password, nor do I care to have it, so moving a non argumentative thread there seem ridiculous imo.

There is also a regularity of locking threads that may be of similar topic, not same, but similar. Why? What is wrong with having more that one thread that is about similar topics. I understand there is no need for duplicate threads, but multiple threads going in different angles on a similar topic is cleaner and more user friendly than 1 jumbled mess of a thread.

The Callahan thread was locked because the conversation was devolving into personal attacks against the OP. Rather than hand out a bunch of warnings, we locked the thread after some discussion in the Super Secret Mod Lair.

The reason similar threads are locked up is that it can become unwieldy to have the same conversation taking place in five different places. Points are made in one thread that would bring about better conversation in the other threads. So should that post be made four times, or should we just merge the thread with the other one, and have the point in one place? It's a philosophical question, and we've had some discussion about it HERE.

The Callahan thread was locked because the conversation was devolving into personal attacks against the OP. Rather than hand out a bunch of warnings, we locked the thread after some discussion in the Super Secret Mod Lair.

The reason similar threads are locked up is that it can become unwieldy to have the same conversation taking place in five different places. Points are made in one thread that would bring about better conversation in the other threads. So should that post be made four times, or should we just merge the thread with the other one, and have the point in one place? It's a philosophical question, and we've had some discussion about it HERE.

Thanks, I'll check out that like. It just seems really cumbersome with all the thread locking, I look forward to checking out the link. Thanks for the info.