To merge or not to merge?

knapplc

As I type this, there are about five or six threads in the Husker Football forum that deal specifically with the coaches/coaching staff. There are, with slight differences, the same conversations going on in these threads.

My policy in the past has been to merge these threads. It makes the board easier to read (my opinion) and it keeps similar conversations together.

Does everyone agree with this? If not, what should be done about threads with similar topics?

Note - this does not include topics that have been started in Husker Football that belong in other forums. Those will get moved, and if there is already a topic in the correct forum, merged.

Its a good idea although there has to be balance. I liked what you did with pushing things with game time commentary into that thread. I think right now we have multiple Bo/Coaching threads and most of those could be merged as well. Although if someone tries to start a thread that is similar, but with the intent of assessing the game, since the existing thread has dissolved in to bitching, then it should be allowed to stay unless it degrades as well... Either way people are going to be mad, but we do seem to have a lot of folks who start threads because they are to lazy yo look for the five others on the same topic...

If anything I think there should be more merging. Just look at after a loss or something like the Penn State scandal. We have a million threads that are all, essentially, the same discussions. Sure some people feel bad to have their stuff merged but it might be worth looking in to, all at the Moderating Staff's leisure of course...

Good Knap........ nothing annoys me more when there is an actual good discussion going on in a thread..... then someone decides to take something from that thread and make it new fresh thread. Like they need more attention or something. Anyways these refugees are really p###ing me off. So Im gonna go into hibernation for a few days(I think).

• 2 weeks later...

My fear with lots of merging (totally understand it much of the time) is the casual message board user will not get their quick Husker fix. The "Suuuuuuh" thread for example has so much news merged into it right now that myself personally would never take the time to click through all of that. There are some great articles and discussion going on that I would love to see each have it's own thread.

Would love to hear for feedback though on what's the best action to take.

• Fire 2

My fear with lots of merging (totally understand it much of the time) is the casual message board user will not get their quick Husker fix. The "Suuuuuuh" thread for example has so much news merged into it right now that myself personally would never take the time to click through all of that. There are some great articles and discussion going on that I would love to see each have it's own thread.

Would love to hear for feedback though on what's the best action to take.

agree with this statement.

Agreed that there needs to be balance. There are a lot of threads I've never decided to leaf through because their size is intimidating, and I don't have time or desire to read through 9 pages of posts before I reply or to find a specific thing I'm looking for, but I also don't like to see 30 threads about the same things. The fear is also that if you merge too much, then it seems people aren't really allowed to make new threads, and there is already a thread for every single category of discussion. We're nowhere close to that, thankfully.

• 1 month later...