Erstad out to show he's right man for job

Nexus

He was an absolutely idiotic hire. Tom Osborne was a fantastic head coach. He's a horrible AD

May want to at least give him a few games before we rank his prowess as a coach......................

There was simply no reason to hire him. There is NO WAY that Tom made the hire based on his prowess as a coach. Because he literally has NO resume as a coach. How could ANYONE know what kind of coach he is? I'm talking about the hire itself. There were plenty of accomplished and successful coaches who wanted this job. Tom admitted that himself.

To hire a dude who had never even been a paid coach was simply idiotic. Nebraska as a program should never have to be the proving ground. Proven coaches should come here. Tom has now treated two different teams as if we need to hire an up and coming coach as opposed to one who has actually been proven. It makes no sense

I understand what you're saying, and normally I'd agree with you. However this is a little different scenarion for one reason: Erstad took an extremely low salary for himself in order to pay big bucks to get two great assistants. Will Bolt would have been getting HC offers very soon and Silva has been around long enough to know how to run a team. Erstad surrounded himself with great coaches, and unlike other 'proven' coaches you may have wanted, we won't have to worry about him ever bolting for a better job (a la vanhorn/childress).

I understand what you're saying, and normally I'd agree with you. However this is a little different scenarion for one reason: Erstad took an extremely low salary for himself in order to pay big bucks to get two great assistants. Will Bolt would have been getting HC offers very soon and Silva has been around long enough to know how to run a team. Erstad surrounded himself with great coaches, and unlike other 'proven' coaches you may have wanted, we won't have to worry about him ever bolting for a better job (a la vanhorn/childress).

Will Bolt was rumored to be in the mix for the head coaching job here and elsewhere before Erstad's name was dropped, and Will is a graduate of DoNU as well.

Ted Silva was a stud pitcher during his Cal State Fullerton days and won a College World Series, IIRC. Plus, he's made immediate improvements in the pitching departments of all his stops. If Silva wasn't head coaching material yet, he was on the cusp of it and is one of the best pitching-focused coaches available.

I honestly forgot all about these hires when I started thinking about Erstad's expectations out of the gate--if anything, Erstad's low salary and bringing on two assistants that could be coaches in their own right makes me rethink that perhaps we should expect a Big 10 title out of the gate.

Good to have Erstad back in Lincoln. He and is wife have donated lots of money to the University and maybe he could even help with the punters. I still think he should have been the MVP of the '95 National Championship game. his punts helped us with fied position for the whole game.

T_O_B

G>B>R