30 U.S. Corporations Paid More to Lobby Than Income Taxes

ZRod

It will take brave and informed American voters to fix the problem.

exactly...and they need give politicians enough back to where they can feel safe in voting new laws into place that take mone out of politics. As it is right now Obama couldn't do anything if he wanted. Back when he first started talking tough against the banks and all their bonuses AFTER the bail out he had to pull back because Wall Street was threatening to pull back on campaign money for him and other Dems....so he pulled back. It's the chicken/egg situation mentioned earlier..

It's just too bad the TP fumbled the ball and let big money control their agenda/party. They could have done somethign w/ all their new congressmen they got in. and I really odn't understand what people disgaree w/ in regards to OWS. First and foremore they are about getting money out of politics. YOu do all understand that, right? Instead so many bash them probably just because certain talking heads and politicans tell them too.

exactly...and they need give politicians enough back to where they can feel safe in voting new laws into place that take mone out of politics. As it is right now Obama couldn't do anything if he wanted. Back when he first started talking tough against the banks and all their bonuses AFTER the bail out he had to pull back because Wall Street was threatening to pull back on campaign money for him and other Dems....so he pulled back. It's the chicken/egg situation mentioned earlier..

It's just too bad the TP fumbled the ball and let big money control their agenda/party. They could have done somethign w/ all their new congressmen they got in. and I really odn't understand what people disgaree w/ in regards to OWS. First and foremore they are about getting money out of politics. YOu do all understand that, right? Instead so many bash them probably just because certain talking heads and politicans tell them too.

The Tea Party was pretty much astroturf from its start.

I see hit a few nerves with the revolution statement and trying to at least equally blame Washington along with the 1% that control Washington. What I want someone to explain to me is; if we don't fix Washington first, how are we ever going to correct the 1% problem in Wall Street, corp America, or with the rich?

Your pushing the cart in front of the course.

Washington cannot be fixed while it is owned by Wall Street.

It will take brave and informed American voters to fix the problem.

That means we're screwed.

That was exactly my point. We can't fix wall street with our votes. How many of the 1% have you ever had the opportunity to vote for? That is why I maintain we have to fix Washington first. They promise the electorate just enough to keep most of America voting for what amounts to the status quo. It is going to take a much more radical approach than voting for more dems or repubs.

That was exactly my point. We can't fix wall street with our votes. How many of the 1% have you ever had the opportunity to vote for? That is why I maintain we have to fix Washington first. They promise the electorate just enough to keep most of America voting for what amounts to the status quo. It is going to take a much more radical approach than voting for more dems or repubs.

We're pretty much saying the same thing.

Both Washington and Wall Street need to be fixed in parallel, which means the repeal of corporate citizenship and complete campaign finance reform.

When a "report" has phrases like "The American people wonder why members of Congress suggest cuts to Medicare and Social Security but won’t require millionaires to pay their fair share in taxes" and "then use that extra cash to pay bloated bonuses to CEOs or ship jobs overseas" in the first couple sentences of the introduction, it makes me question their commitment to objective reporting but that's how it goes. Their data was (as far as I could tell) taken straight from a different report and there weren't many citations in that report for where the data came from so I was having trouble checking to see where they were getting their figures.

I've heard GE brought up before as far as not paying taxes during that time and I believe some of that was due to the fact that they had a net loss for at least one of the years in that range. That made me wonder if the "profits" they were referring to were more accurately "revenues" which is a totally different deal but, like I said, I had a hard time tracking the data all the way through to figure that out.

There's plenty of blame to go around but it's up to whoever actually has the vote - whether it's electing representatives or voting on laws - that are responsible for the decisions made.