"We just need more talent..."

owa Hired Kirk Ferents in 1999

1999 record: 1-10 (pulled in 59th ranked recruiting class)

2000 record: 3-9 (pulled in 60th ranked recruiting class)

2001 record: 7-5 (pulled in 51st ranked recruiting class)

2002 record: 11-2 (pulled in 43rd ranked recruiting class)

2003 record: 10-3 (pulled in 38th ranked recruiting class)

2004 record: 10-2 (pulled in 11th ranked recruiting class)

*took Ferentz 1 year longer because his recruiting classes were not that special

Huh, you mean that Ferentz had WORSE classes than Solich???? Is that even possible??

:sarcasm

I guess that those guys miraculously/luckily became good players and built the team into a very good team??? :blink:

Oh, wait, they have something NU doesnt....a good coach!

Here's what Ferentz inherited:

1992 Iowa 5-7

1993 Iowa 6-6

1994 Iowa 5-5-1

1995 Iowa 8-4

1996 Iowa 9-3

1997 Iowa 7-5

1998 Iowa 3-8

A little worse than what Cally was handed. ;)

Hahah, you have to love it when other people already know the answer and formerfan who tries to sound like he knows everything doesn't.

If common sense told clone to research what Ferentz inherited, why didn't it work for you Formerfan. That's all i have to say. The research speaks for itself, but then again, i am sure you will find ways to discredit information as you always do

I think you're off your rocker if you think clone was trying to discredit FF. He just gave him more ammo by showing those stats. Fact: Ferentz did inherit a lot bigger problem program than BC, and he's turned it around. The first year, he slipped from the previous year. The second year, he won just as many as the coach before him did his last year. We don't have enough teams left on the schedule to win 9 this year dude.

The research shows me Iowa had a plan, and their plan has worked. The research shows me Pud had no plan, and we're reaping the rewards from that. Another thing I find puzzling is how such progress can be made in 3 years when year 1 had the 59th ranked class, year 2 had 60th, and year 3 51st class. Solich left BC with a hell of a lot better classes than that, and we sure aren't going 7 and 5 or 11 and 2!

I think you're off your rocker if you think clone was trying to discredit FF

Try reading what i said instead of skimming through posts. I never said anything about clone discrediting FF. I said Clone used a common sense approach by doing some research to figure out the differences between Callahan and Ferentz in terms of wins and losses. From that you got "discredit" :wtf

He just gave him more ammo by showing those stats

Ahhhh i see. So i guess me and Clone providing documented statistics is now giving him more ammo to do what? Argue something that isn't there? Discredit information that been documented? Exactly how does that work? Like this:

######: Here are the stats you requested formerfan

Junior4949: No i protest, those stats don't mean anything

######: But..these are actual stats that have been DOCUMENTED

Junior4949: No, i still protest, me and Formerfan don't believe in stats"

Formerfan might have some insane ideas at times, but i doubt he wants to argue proven stats, unless he wants the board to think he's an idiot. That would be like someone trying to argue (regardless if someone presented documented information) and swear up and down that NU never went 5-6 last year

Fact: Ferentz did inherit a lot bigger problem program than BC, and he's turned it around

Yeah and Ferentz changed the offense a litte bit, but nothing 180 degrees from a run based attack to a balanced attack. With little changes, Ferentz did it in 4 years, Callahan is only in his second year, which was the whole point of this thread that asked about talent.

The first year, he slipped from the previous year.

Correct, he won 1 game against Northern Illinois compared to 3 wins from Hayden Fry the year before.

The second year, he won just as many as the coach before him did his last year

Correct again, so far you are making sense. Ferentz won 3 his second year, Haden won 3 his last year.

We don't have enough teams left on the schedule to win 9 this year dude.

:wtf

Please explain where you got 9 wins? Ferentz won 7 games and lost 5 his third year.

The research shows me Iowa had a plan, and their plan has worked

Isn't that what i was getting at? The average turnaround is 3-4 years, except Callahan is doing it with a whole new offense, while Kirk did it with almost the same type of offense, except with more passing???? So what you are really saying is you don't want to give Callahan the 3 or 4 year average to see if his plan worked. Oddly enough, that's what Bama, UCLA, Iowa fans felt before they began rolling.

The research shows me Pud had no plan

Where's the research in this thread that shows that, or you just assuming again?

Another thing I find puzzling is how such progress can be made in 3 years when year 1 had the 59th ranked class, year 2 had 60th, and year 3 51st class. Solich left BC with a hell of a lot better classes than that, and we sure aren't going 7 and 5 or 11 and 2!

His first recruiting class, when they became Junior went 7-5. His First recruiting class when they were Seniors went 11-2. Callahan is still on his first full recruiting class, so you expect to see progress immediately? Maybe if you fast forward 2 years from now, you will see this "progress" but for anyone expecting progress in 1 recruiting class is fooling themselves, which is exactly what you are trying to do, fool yourself.

In year 2, Ferentz won as many games as Fry won his last. In order to do the same, BC would have to win either 9 or 10 games depending on whether or not you want to give Solich credit for the bowl win.

Why do you insist on comparing NU to teams who were poor or on probation (Alabama, Iowa,)? Why don't you compare them to teams under similar circumstances as NU after Solich was fired (Notre Dame this year, kind of Florida this year)? Alabama was decimated by probation. How does this resemble NU's situation 3 years ago? Iowa was 3 and 8 before Ferentz. Again, how is this similar to 10 and 3?

You can say all you want about average turnaround of 3 to 4 years and having a plan. If I remember correctly, we heard both Pud and BC's plan. "We will not surrender the Big 12 to Texas and Oklahom". "Rebuilding isn't acceptable, winning immediately is". "We will take what we want". Etc. Etc. Etc. Wow, we're following that script to a T. Fact of the matter is that there would have been a fan revolt after the 2003 season if Pud and BC would have stated a 3 to 4 year turn around and potential back to back 5 and 6 seasons with no bowl appearance.

You say his first recruiting class went 7 and 5 and his second went 11 and 2. Congratulations to him. I guess not having a top 10 recruiting class doesn't necessarily mean you can't win! Solich's last 2 classes were better than Ferentz's first 2. Does that mean we go 8 and 4 and 12 and 1? I thought talent was #1. I guess Ferentz showed that it wasn't.

All I know is that if we'd have known we'd be in the bottom 25 percent in the conference after BC's hiring, we'd lose our bowl streak, we'd lose our winning streak over KU, we'd suffer our worst defeat in history, etc. there is no way in hell any fan would have welcomed BC and Pud would have been run out of town. However, this has all happened and there are still people ranting and raving about patience. Unbelievable!