"We just need more talent..."

Posted in another forum:

The year before Leach took over at Texas Tech, the Raiders passed for about 175 ypg and completed 48% of their passes. In Leach's 1st season, before "his players" could be brought in, Tech averaged almost 300 ypg and completed 60% of their passes. If the WCO requires 4 years and a perfect player at every position, than the offense is worth nothing. If Leach could do it in one season with no recruiting classes, why should we give Callahan 5 years?

:yeah

Uh, because Callahan isn't Leach?

What offense did Tech run before Leach?

A run-oriented offense...Spike Dyches ran it, and ran it a lot. Had a guy who played for the Steelers as a RB...Byron Moriss...he got into trouble...remember Byron Hanspard? When NU played them, it was run, run, run. Texas Tech was a run-oriented team. They switched to a passing attack and had no problems right away.

Dave, you are a great guy, and I respect your opinion. Callahan isn't getting it done, man, he ain't gettin' it done. NU is regressing. 108th in total offense for the year. There are individual players with more total offensive yards than the NU offense!

I'm sorry, Dave, but the NU players deserve better than this. I will root hard for them again this Saturday, but Callahan ain't gettin' it done, plain and simple.

A run-oriented offense...Spike Dyches ran it, and ran it a lot. Had a guy who played for the Steelers as a RB...Byron Moriss...he got into trouble...remember Byron Hanspard? When NU played them, it was run, run, run. Texas Tech was a run-oriented team. They switched to a passing attack and had no problems right away.

Dave, you are a great guy, and I respect your opinion. Callahan isn't getting it done, man, he ain't gettin' it done. NU is regressing. 108th in total offense for the year. There are individual players with more total offensive yards than the NU offense!

I'm sorry, Dave, but the NU players deserve better than this. I will root hard for them again this Saturday, but Callahan ain't gettin' it done, plain and simple.

So you are saying we go through another change like we did last year. All over again. What then? What if we don't get the instant gratification some of us seek? Do we fire them? Where does it end? When NU can't find a coach to take the job? Because believe me, it would most definitely END there.

For many years I heard Tom Osborne talk about the importance of having the team mentally ready to play. The game prep that Osborne had must have been incredible. He always talked about winning every angle of the game. This team really lacks concentration and the vision to win. That doesn't come with talent, it comes through on Mon-Fri on the practice field. That's squarely on the coaches.

A run-oriented offense...Spike Dyches ran it, and ran it a lot.  Had a guy who played for the Steelers as a RB...Byron Moriss...he got into trouble...remember Byron Hanspard?  When NU played them, it was run, run, run.  Texas Tech was a run-oriented team.  They switched to a passing attack and had no problems right away.

Dave, you are a great guy, and I respect your opinion.  Callahan isn't getting it done, man, he ain't gettin' it done.  NU is regressing.  108th in total offense for the year.  There are individual players with more total offensive yards than the NU offense! 

I'm sorry, Dave, but the NU players deserve better than this.  I will root hard for them again this Saturday, but Callahan ain't gettin' it done, plain and simple.

So you are saying we go through another change like we did last year. All over again. What then? What if we don't get the instant gratification some of us seek? Do we fire them? Where does it end? When NU can't find a coach to take the job? Because believe me, it would most definitely END there.

Dave, I never said I thought Cally should be fired after this year...as a matter of fact, I said in another thread he should be kept, because it would be the total distruction of NU football.

I don't like what he is doing as a coach. As a matter of fact, I think he is not very good at a lot of things. But he does need another year. He ain't gettin' it done. But if NU fired him now, nobody would ever come to NU that is any good at all.

Lets just fire Callahan now, get it over with and look for another coach who will take the job security of being fired after 2 years. Lets wait another 2 years and see if the guy can make any improvements, and if not, lets fire them and look for another coach and continue doing that untill we find somoene who goes 10-2,11-1, 12-0 his first season and wins us a National title his second year.

Oh by the way, i am establishing a organization to help fund the costs of firing and hiring coaches untill we find our man. I am sure ALL of you whining will donate a 1,000 dollars each year to hlep fund this operation.

What? You are not going to donate? Then please drink this glass of shut it

I do find it funny that you think BC is doing a good job Nameless...

He has had his ups and downs (mostly downs) this year. He was doing ok. Now his team has regressed, and is likely going to end up with another losing record.

Will he do well next year? I doubt it, but he needs another year, so that it won't be so tough to find his replacement.

I'm glad you're happy with what has turned into a bad team. I'm certainly not. Make all of the excuses you want. NU is bad, plain and simple.

Here's hoping Cally gets it turned around next year. He certainly didn't this year, even IF NU wins Saturday and goes to a bowl.

Lets just fire Callahan now, get it over with and look for another coach who will take the job security of being fired after 2 years. Lets wait another 2 years and see if the guy can make any improvements, and if not, lets fire them and look for another coach and continue doing that untill we find somoene who goes 10-2,11-1, 12-0 his first season and wins us a National title his second year.

Oh by the way, i am establishing a organization to help fund the costs of firing and hiring coaches untill we find our man. I am sure ALL of you whining will donate a 1,000 dollars each year to hlep fund this operation.

What? You are not going to donate? Then please drink this glass of shut it

Gosh...if that is all it costs to be able to call the shots...i'm goin to ask for some of my money back.......

I think it is poor taste to assume that I don't help the program....If I got what I have paid for...we would all be happier

I never said Callahan was doing good or bad. Callahan is doing what he can do with the guys he has to play for him. I wasn't expecting miracles this season and i wasn't expecting a Big12 North division crown this year

Is the season a disaster? Yes and no.

YES: We discovered that our OL play is horrible and that we still have some cancer players on this team. Yes, i am going to name names. Bullocks is one of them and quite honestly the coaching staffs hand is tied. You can't bench him because he will spew more venom into the team and possibly run his mouth to some recruits, so basically you have to play him but he's playing like he could care less.

NO: Freshman like Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Phillip Dillard for example are getting some playing time and building experience. On the other hand, we discovered some talented guys like Nate Swift, Todd Peterson who will become threats in the passing game.

After starting out 4-0, i expected us to be 7-4 with losses to Colorado, Texas Tech and Missouri. Right now, 6-5 with a bowl game and a light at the end of the tunnel would help this team and build some confidence.

I can gurantee you that this team will be totally different next year and i have the patience to wait for it. Right now, i am seeing small glimmers of hope from a passing game, some true freshman stepping up and others being discovered and our ability to comeback from deficitis.

after every loss for about a day i feel like there is no hope, but then by the end of the week i realize that this is just a... hate to say it... team that is building up to the promising future they have in front of them. after this game i will just be happy with a bowl game, no matter wat. this team better not give up because that is wat has got me through this season and after the kansas game where they just gave up everything they need to pick up the pace and get back on track for a return in 06-07. we are at home where we have a better chance, so lets all go out there and give it our all and hope that the team does as well

I never said Callahan was doing good or bad. Callahan is doing what he can do with the guys he has to play for him. I wasn't expecting miracles this season and i wasn't expecting a Big12 North division crown this year

Is the season a disaster? Yes and no.

YES: We discovered that our OL play is horrible and that we still have some cancer players on this team. Yes, i am going to name names. Bullocks is one of them and quite honestly the coaching staffs hand is tied. You can't bench him because he will spew more venom into the team and possibly run his mouth to some recruits, so basically you have to play him but he's playing like he could care less.

NO: Freshman like Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Phillip Dillard for example are getting some playing time and building experience. On the other hand, we discovered some talented guys like Nate Swift, Todd Peterson who will become threats in the passing game.

After starting out 4-0, i expected us to be 7-4 with losses to Colorado, Texas Tech and Missouri. Right now, 6-5 with a bowl game and a light at the end of the tunnel would help this team and build some confidence.

I can gurantee you that this team will be totally different next year and i have the patience to wait for it. Right now, i am seeing small glimmers of hope from a passing game, our true freshman and our ability to comeback from deficitis.

no one can guarantee this team wil be "totally different" next year......you just don't recover from 2 5-6 seasons (or close to it) and suddenly have everything go right.......if there is recovery, it will take at least 2 more years.....and that is IF the coaches learn anything in the interium as well! first order of business is getting the slugs off the offensive line and some athletes in place and some coaches that can teach blocking schemes.......big order!

hunter

no one can guarantee this team wil be "totally different" next year......you just don't recover from 2 5-6 seasons (or close to it) and suddenly have everything go right.......if there is recovery, it will take at least 2 more years.....and that is IF the coaches learn anything in the interium as well! first order of business is getting the slugs off the offensive line and some athletes in place and some coaches that can teach blocking schemes.......big order!

I hate using other teams as examples, but when the occasion calls for it, i am forced to:

Alabama hired Mike Shula in 2003

2003 record: 4-9 (pulled in 15th ranked recruiting class)

2004 record: 6-6 (pulled in 18th ranked recruiting class)

2005 record: 9-0 (currently has 6th ranked recruiting class)

UCLA hired Karl Dorrell in 2003

2003 record: 6-7 (pulled in 34th ranked recruiting class)

2004 record: 6-6 (pulled in 26th ranked recruiting class)

2005 record: 8-1 (currently has 8th ranked recruiting class)

Penn St

2003 record: 3-9 (pulled in 14th ranked recruiting class)

2004 record: 4-7 (pulled in 25th ranked recruiting class)

2005 record: 9-1 (currently has 32nd ranked recruiting class)

owa Hired Kirk Ferents in 1999

1999 record: 1-10 (pulled in 59th ranked recruiting class)

2000 record: 3-9 (pulled in 60th ranked recruiting class)

2001 record: 7-5 (pulled in 51st ranked recruiting class)

2002 record: 11-2 (pulled in 43rd ranked recruiting class)

2003 record: 10-3 (pulled in 38th ranked recruiting class)

2004 record: 10-2 (pulled in 11th ranked recruiting class)

*took Ferentz 1 year longer because his recruiting classes were not that special

That's just a small sample of coaches who are given time to recruit and install their system. Some didn't have losing seasons their first 2 years (maybe their first or second) but eventually, with good recruiting and repetitive execution of the offense, the team eventually turns itself around.