Affordable Care Act / ObamaCare

Supreme Court Decision  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So it's June, and the SCOTUS should be wrapping up soon. I guess the last couple of years they have finished early. Does anyone know how they will announce the decision? Do they telegraph that today or tomorrow the decision will be announced or do they just post it to their Facebook page....

It was probably decided this week. We probably won't know until summer.

I thought that they had to announce the decision this month since the current sessions ends 30 June.

I think summer begins on the 20th, right? Not near my calendar at the moment.

That's the Summer Solstice. June still ends on 30 June.

So it's June, and the SCOTUS should be wrapping up soon. I guess the last couple of years they have finished early. Does anyone know how they will announce the decision? Do they telegraph that today or tomorrow the decision will be announced or do they just post it to their Facebook page....

It was probably decided this week. We probably won't know until summer.

I thought that they had to announce the decision this month since the current sessions ends 30 June.

I think summer begins on the 20th, right? Not near my calendar at the moment.

That's the Summer Solstice. June still ends on 30 June.

According to my desk calendar "June 20, Summer Begins."

That's a strange thing to focus on. Perhaps you can find someone to argue with you about the last day of June? If my math is correct they could announce the decision after the beginning of summer while still being before your June 30 deadline. I'll have to check on it. :thumbs

carlfense, did you notice that Yossarian said "sessions," not "season?"

Yep. I did notice that. I had said that we probably wouldn't know until summer. (I think that was before Yossarian raised the session issue.) Then Yos said that he thought that they had to decide this month . . .

What are you two disagreeing about in the last three posts? :dunno

You'll have to ask him. I don't think that we disagree here.

carlfense, did you notice that Yossarian said "sessions," not "season?"

What are you two disagreeing about in the last three posts? :dunno

I agree that the Summer Solstice is 20 June. What's not to agree with? But the beginning of summer has nothing to do with the SCOTUS. The Stonehenge Court? Yes. SCOTUS? No.

The current SCOTUS session ends on 30 June, so the opinion on Obamacare will likely be released before then - probably on 25 June since that is a Monday and opinions are historically released on Monday.

I agree that the Summer Solstice is 20 June. What's not to agree with? But the beginning of summer has nothing to do with the SCOTUS. The Stonehenge Court? Yes. SCOTUS? No.

You must be acting intentionally obtuse. Most of our political beliefs are different but you aren't so stupid as to think that an "until summer" answer implies that the solstice affects the court.

The current SCOTUS session ends on 30 June, so the opinion on Obamacare will likely be released before then - probably on 25 June since that is a Monday and opinions are historically released on Monday.

June 25 . . . June 25 . . . carry the two . . . by my math that would qualify as summer. Would you please double check that for me, Yos? Thanks.

I'm glad that we agree about an approximate date. I still don't know what you were arguing against with the gibberish of your previous 3 posts in this thread but I'm glad that we've reached an end point.

You guys aren't seriously quibbling over ten days, are you? This is approaching an epic level of boredom if you are.

I'm simply stating when I believe the SCOTUS will announce its decision. carlfense usually tries this tactic on everyone, and eventually crosses into name-calling as he has done here - calling me stupid (obtuse) and calling my posts "gibberish." I try to address the post and not the poster.

You guys aren't seriously quibbling over ten days, are you?

I don't know about quibbling . . . I was genuinely confused as to what Yossarian was arguing. Honestly, I still am.

It looks like you were in the same boat.

http://www.huskerboa...post__p__962229

No, I was confused as to why you were confused. Yossarian clearly wasn't arguing. It was a potayto/potahto thing, and much was made of it for seemingly no reason.

Lengthy article from the New Yorker about the individual mandate.

What is notable about the conservative response to the individual mandate is not only the speed with which a legal argument that was considered fringe in 2010 had become mainstream by 2012; it’s the implication that the Republicans spent two decades pushing legislation that was in clear violation of the nation’s founding document. Political parties do go through occasional, painful cleansings, in which they emerge with different leaders who hold different positions. This was true of Democrats in the nineteen-nineties, when Bill Clinton passed free trade, deficit reduction, and welfare reform, despite the furious objections of liberals. But in this case the mandate’s supporters simply became its opponent

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/06/25/120625fa_fact_klein?currentPage=all

Fascinating stuff about motivated reasoning and the effect of the partisan press' influence on group thinking.