NU crowds stand out in B1G baseball

Nexus

Oh, I agree, MMG. I think the B1G is worthy of making the argument just on the basis of their status as a power conference in the NCAA as a whole. If anyone could get a change pushed through it would be the B1G. And I agree that they're better than their numbers suggest. Just saying having that success might also give your voice more weight as well.

Baseball is a spring/summer sport. That's when college's should play baseball. Damn Big Ten.

Maybe you should rethink where you direct your condemnation. The B1G would be thrilled to play baseball in the spring & summer. Southern schools would prefer to start in the winter.

First day of Spring - March 20

MLB Opening Day - April 4

NCAA Opening Day - Feb 17

The MLB is almost a year long thing. At the high school level, baseball in Nebraska starts just after the NCAA season starts, and i'm sure sooner down south. There is ZERO reason to try and change what the Big Ten does, because the NCAA isn't going to cater to the Big Ten for baseball.

Oh, I agree, MMG. I think the B1G is worthy of making the argument just on the basis of their status as a power conference in the NCAA as a whole. If anyone could get a change pushed through it would be the B1G. And I agree that they're better than their numbers suggest. Just saying having that success might also give your voice more weight as well.

Of course--that's why the B1G teams need to either invest in their baseball programs (see Purdue and their new stadium), or they need to drop baseball and get the **** out of the way for the other programs in the B1G that still act like they give a damn (*ahem*Northwestern*ahem*).

And the B1G needs to get rid of their scholarship restrictions--there's no sense in penalizing a B1G baseball team because a kid left for the MLB. They don't do the same for basketball or football, so why penalize baseball, a sport that still doesn't have as many scholarships as they do players?

Frankly, the B1G is going to come to this realization when they start looking for ways to maximize the effectiveness of their network during non-football and basketball months. They have a huge inventory of live events (baseball and softball) that they could make use of, but they don't because the quality of product isn't where it needs to be. Get more non-con games, televise whole series when they're important (see Purdue/Nebraska), and they'll get more fans to watch during the summer months.

The MLB is almost a year long thing.

So?

It doesn't start in the winter, it does however end in the fall. Wait are actually arguing FOR the 'play baseball in the fall' camp?

At the high school level, baseball in Nebraska starts just after the NCAA season starts, and i'm sure sooner down south.

Again so what? High school baseball in Ohio starts in April, right around the time MLB starts. Why in the hell should the NCAA base it's decisions around when your HS rules?

There is ZERO reason to try and change what the Big Ten does, because the NCAA isn't going to cater to the Big Ten for baseball.

Actually having a governing body who feels it is necessary to follow a setup that specifically discriminates against teams in certain regions is a valid reason for the B1G to look into what is best for it's member institutions rather than what suits southern HS schedules.

The MLB is almost a year long thing.

So?

It doesn't start in the winter, it does however end in the fall. Wait are actually arguing FOR the 'play baseball in the fall' camp?

At the high school level, baseball in Nebraska starts just after the NCAA season starts, and i'm sure sooner down south.

Again so what? High school baseball in Ohio starts in April, right around the time MLB starts. Why in the hell should the NCAA base it's decisions around when your HS rules?

There is ZERO reason to try and change what the Big Ten does, because the NCAA isn't going to cater to the Big Ten for baseball.

Actually having a governing body who feels it is necessary to follow a setup that specifically discriminates against teams in certain regions is a valid reason for the B1G to look into what is best for it's member institutions rather than what suits southern HS schedules.

Wait, so you're saying the Big Ten should go on it's own late? Or are you saying the NCAA should move the sport to the fall? Both are ridiculous. IF the Big Ten were to play baseball in the fall, it would die out, COMPLETELY. How do you expect it to compete with Football, are you serious? But then again, I forgot, the Big Ten is apathetic with baseball. It would benefit many schools to have a reason to drop it and cut the costs.

The point about the High School is that it plays early in the year. It is a spring sport, not a fall sport. The MLB plays 3x the games, requiring 3x the time to play those games. The NCAA doesn't need to fix something that isn't broken. If a school wants to be competitive, throw money into it. Build an indoor facility that you will be able to use and actually benefit from during the winter months.

Just because the rest of the Big Ten world isn't competitive in baseball and doesn't care about it doesn't mean Nebraska doesn't. I would love to know a logical and feasible plan that would allow baseball to move and still provide the student athletes all the same opportunities they have.