Why do Hospitals Charge $4,423 for $250 CT Scans?

What I like about this article, if you can get past the headline, is that it states this really isn't a pub-dem issue. It just shows how Politians are for sale. Lobbyists write our legislation. Score another for captain obvious.

In fairness, the state's Democrats were nearly uniformly opposed to the measure, as well. Lobbyists, says Sen. Barto, "nearly killed [the bill] in the Senate, where, after passing the Senate Committee, opponents descended upon Senate leadership personally and the bill nearly didn't come to the floor. Obviously there is something more at stake."

Article Link

There's a few things with this article. 1- the headline is misleading and biased against republicans even though democrats were equally opposed to it. 2- the language of the bill that was defeated was not included and there was no information on how this bill would have directly affected the example case. 3- I realize providers charge differing amounts for thse same procedure to different insurers or payers but it has been my experience that, as a blue cross insured, the discounted rate to blue cross is always less than what I would be charged personally. I ask these questions of providers all the time because I have a very high deductible plan. I'm guessing this AZ legislation had some problems and the writer either has a problem with repubs, is not very bright, and/or is in the bag for some lobbyist group.

Forbes is a right leaning publication. and here are the facts. Arizona Republicans control all 3 legislative branches, Gov, house and senate. If they wanted it to pass (like so many of the other laws they have been passing lately that get headlines) it would have. Period.

A link to the bill was included, as well as a snippet about requiring healthcare providers to 'make public upon demand' a price list.

And please tell me you are not defending the insurance industry. We have here the only commodity or service that you can not get a price for before it is done. You can't even get an estimate from most.

The last group that needs defending is the insurers but we can't blame them for every problem with healthcare. How can they tell you what it will cost without knowing how much the provider is going to bill for it? There is plenty of blame to spread around to everyone; insurers, providers, the government, and yes even the patients. My only point was that I believe the discounted rate I pay, due to being insured by Anthem Blue Cross, is less than what providers have told me my charges would be if I were to bypass my insurance and pay them directly. Maybe Colorado is different than Arizona but I have no problem with providers telling me what my direct cost would be. I have sort of an advantage though, my deductible is so high that I don't have to calculate what my insurer is going to pay because it is almost always zero. It would probably become much less clear if my insurance were to ever actually cover anything. If we want to blame someone for a CT scan that costs $4K plus but is only worth $250, I would start looking at why the providers charge so much (could it be to help pay the bills for all the people that don't pay their bills?) and the lawsuits that inflate all costs. Insurers aren't driving up medical care costs. Medical care costs are driving up the cost of insurance.

The last group that needs defending is the insurers but we can't blame them for every problem with healthcare. How can they tell you what it will cost without knowing how much the provider is going to bill for it? There is plenty of blame to spread around to everyone; insurers, providers, the government, and yes even the patients. My only point was that I believe the discounted rate I pay, due to being insured by Anthem Blue Cross, is less than what providers have told me my charges would be if I were to bypass my insurance and pay them directly. Maybe Colorado is different than Arizona but I have no problem with providers telling me what my direct cost would be. I have sort of an advantage though, my deductible is so high that I don't have to calculate what my insurer is going to pay because it is almost always zero. It would probably become much less clear if my insurance were to ever actually cover anything. If we want to blame someone for a CT scan that costs $4K plus but is only worth $250, I would start looking at why the providers charge so much (could it be to help pay the bills for all the people that don't pay their bills?) and the lawsuits that inflate all costs. Insurers aren't driving up medical care costs. Medical care costs are driving up the cost of insurance.

At issue is you can not get a quote from the provider in most cases on what the cost is. They change the cost based on who is paying for it.

Here is an example. You go to a store, nothing in the store has a price on it. You ask a sales clerk for what an item you are interested in costs and you get a response like this. "We can't tell you that until after you have agreed to pay for it. We can't tell you what we will charge until we know what form you are paying with, and we still won't tell you until after you have agreed to pay and can not back out." How well do you think this business model would work in any other field on earth?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an example. You go to a store, nothing in the store has a price on it. You ask a sales clerk for what an item you are interested in costs and you get a response like this. "We can't tell you that until after you have agreed to pay for it. We can't tell you what we will charge until we know what form you are paying with, and we still won't tell you until after you have agreed to pay and can not back out." How well do you think this business model would work in any other field on earth?

Oh...kind of like Nancy Pelosi's comment on Obamacare, "We have to pass it so you can read what's in it...?"