Is Poland asking too much?

Grammatically it doesn't make sense, a Polish death camp would mean it was a death camp owned or ran by the Polish, the proper term would be a Nazi death camp in Poland, or occupied Poland. The statement in many peoples eyes makes it sound if the Poles wanted to kill millions of people in their country (also I think even Germans would prefer it not called a German Death Camp). It would be almost as insensitive to say Jewish Death Camps, while Jewish people were killed there, it doesn't make sense to say it that way. An apology from the President's spokesman is in my personal opinion a slap in the face to another head of state, it can't be that hard to pick up the phone and make a call to the Polish Prime Minister and apoligize for his mistake.

No, grammatically it DOES make sense. People of Poland were put to death in a camp. Polish death camp. If it were called a Puppy Death Camp, you wouldn't think puppies were the ones killing people.

Hell, people called them Japanese Internment Camps...you don't think the Japanese were relocating themselves, do you?

You hear what you want to hear. The name of the camp isn't what matters. Acknowledging what happend there is.

Those were American Internment Camps.

Probably more technically Japanese-American Internment Camps (referring to Japanse-Americans)

http://en.wikipedia....ican_internment

http://www.historyon...nment_camps.htm

But still, what they were called doesn't matter. You could have called them fluffy, bunny, love camps. It wouldn't have changed what went on there. And if we're going to argue that more than just Polish people died there so therefore we can't use the word Polish...well, not only the Nazi's were responsible for the death camps (as stated in your Wikipedia quote, Ziggy). So let's call them Nazi Germany and Ally Death Camp. Blaming just the Nazi's makes the other allies feel sad! :sarcasm

• Fire 1

Grammatically it doesn't make sense, a Polish death camp would mean it was a death camp owned or ran by the Polish, the proper term would be a Nazi death camp in Poland, or occupied Poland. The statement in many peoples eyes makes it sound if the Poles wanted to kill millions of people in their country (also I think even Germans would prefer it not called a German Death Camp). It would be almost as insensitive to say Jewish Death Camps, while Jewish people were killed there, it doesn't make sense to say it that way. An apology from the President's spokesman is in my personal opinion a slap in the face to another head of state, it can't be that hard to pick up the phone and make a call to the Polish Prime Minister and apoligize for his mistake.

No, grammatically it DOES make sense. People of Poland were put to death in a camp. Polish death camp. If it were called a Puppy Death Camp, you wouldn't think puppies were the ones killing people.

Hell, people called them Japanese Internment Camps...you don't think the Japanese were relocating themselves, do you?

You hear what you want to hear. The name of the camp isn't what matters. Acknowledging what happend there is.

Probably more technically Japanese-American Internment Camps (referring to Japanse-Americans)

But still, what they were called doesn't matter. You could have called them fluffy, bunny, love camps. It wouldn't have changed what went on there. And if we're going to argue that more than just Polish people died there so therefore we can't use the word Polish...well, not only the Nazi's were responsible for the death camps (as stated in your Wikipedia quote, Ziggy). So let's call them Nazi Germany and Ally Death Camp. Blaming just the Nazi's makes the other allies feel sad! :sarcasm

I should have included the insert sarcasm here emoticon. Apologies. We are in agreement.

• Fire 2

Not sure which allies your refering to? The allies of Nazi Germany, or the commonly refered to "Allies" of US, UK, France, Russia? Just need some clarification.

Knapp doesn't need anyone to defend him, but his post critiquing the substantive merits of this topic is perfectly on topic. The bottom line is that it is, in fact, a dumb thing to to fret over. People that get so animated about this kind of stuff and insist on regurgitating it as "gotcha talking points" clearly don't have their priorities sorted.

There are probly 80% of the topics on this board that are not probly helpful to the advancement of our country and to say we shouldnt have a discussion about our sitting president and his interaction with foreign governments is a little naive of the point of this whole board. If you think this is such a little thing and doesnt need to be discussed please provide a reason why it is such "a dumb thing to fret over". I think its a pretty big deal to insult a country as a President, and the way that President reacts to that percieved insult should be up for discussion. Instead of attacking the OP, attack the idea and make a rational response that can futher the discussion. Knapps and your own comments come off as high and mighty and appear at least to me as a personal attack on my intelligence and my ability to spew my own rational thoughts and not "gotcha talking points".

I think its a pretty big deal to insult a country as a President, and the way that President reacts to that percieved insult should be up for discussion. Instead of attacking the OP, attack the idea and make a rational response that can futher the discussion. Knapps and your own comments come off as high and mighty and appear at least to me as a personal attack on my intelligence and my ability to spew my own rational thoughts and not "gotcha talking points".

Calm down. You are making a huge deal out of nothing.

The Poles and some in this forum are making way too big of a deal out of this. I'm no fan of Obama's but, come on people, any half-wit knows what he really meant and it is obvious he is not trying to link the atrocities of the Nazi's to the Polish people. If you are less than a half-wit, please continue bashing Obama for this harmless speaking gaffe. I'm sure he will appreciate the fact that you aren't grilling him for his more obvious shortcomings.

I only came into this link because of the title "Is Poland asking too much?" I figured they were seeking international assistance on how to change a lightbulb.

• Fire 2

The Poles and some in this forum are making way too big of a deal out of this. I'm no fan of Obama's but, come on people, any half-wit knows what he really meant and it is obvious he is not trying to link the atrocities of the Nazi's to the Polish people. If you are less than a half-wit, please continue bashing Obama for this harmless speaking gaffe. I'm sure he will appreciate the fact that you aren't grilling him for his more obvious shortcomings.

I only came into this link because of the title "Is Poland asking too much?" I figured they were seeking international assistance on how to change a lightbulb.

Haha - believe it or not, I like it when I can agree with you!

I think its a pretty big deal to insult a country as a President, and the way that President reacts to that percieved insult should be up for discussion. Instead of attacking the OP, attack the idea and make a rational response that can futher the discussion. Knapps and your own comments come off as high and mighty and appear at least to me as a personal attack on my intelligence and my ability to spew my own rational thoughts and not "gotcha talking points".

Our economy - the world's economy - is teetering on the brink of collapse. We have major social issues to deal with in this country. Our national infrastructure is a shambles and needs a major overhaul. We are engaged in one major war and terrorism is fomenting across half the globe, much of it aimed at us.

Can we please focus on what's important and knock of this mindless drivel about whether it was a "Polish death camp" or a "Nazi death camp?"

For God's sake - get your damned priorities in order. Stop parroting this crap and focus.

Implying that I am acting irrational and need to be told to calm down is exactly what I am talking about you coming off as high and mighty. You created the tangent in this discussion by not being able to have a discussion about the Polish percieved insult by our sitting President and his response to it. Ordering people to calm down, to get their priorities in order and using words like Mindless and parroting is pretty easily to be considered a personal attack and not a response to the OP and the topic in general. And if worded differently I would probly have agreed with you that there are plenty of other topics that could be discussed that may be more important to the current situation that the US is currently in. If you want to discuss those topics start threads and I will come over and discuss those things with you but I started this topic to see what people think of this topic.

Implying that I am acting irrational and need to be told to calm down is exactly what I am talking about you coming off as high and mighty. You created the tangent in this discussion by not being able to have a discussion about the Polish percieved insult by our sitting President and his response to it. Ordering people to calm down, to get their priorities in order and using words like Mindless and parroting is pretty easily to be considered a personal attack and not a response to the OP and the topic in general. And if worded differently I would probly have agreed with you that there are plenty of other topics that could be discussed that may be more important to the current situation that the US is currently in. If you want to discuss those topics start threads and I will come over and discuss those things with you but I started this topic to see what people think of this topic.

You've been posting here off and on for almost a year, and you still haven't managed to figure the place out, eh? This forum is chock full of tangents. Most of the activity in this forum is probably tangential. Your precious thread isn't special, so get over it. Besides, criticizing thread's core point as irrelevant, overblown or just plain stupid isn't really tangential.

Our economy - the world's economy - is teetering on the brink of collapse. We have major social issues to deal with in this country. Our national infrastructure is a shambles and needs a major overhaul. We are engaged in one major war and terrorism is fomenting across half the globe, much of it aimed at us.

Can we please focus on what's important and knock of this mindless drivel about whether it was a "Polish death camp" or a "Nazi death camp?"

For God's sake - get your damned priorities in order. Stop parroting this crap and focus.

Fun Fact - the Mods get to decide what is or isn't a personal attack. If you think I'm launching personal attacks at you, use the report function and one of the other Mods will look at it.

You and Rush agree. Didn't know you were a dittohead.

Trust me I had this place figured out long ago. And I dont consider this as "my precious thread". Hey if someone wants to drop into a thread and complain about the relevence, importance, or how overblown the core point is, is up to them and they have that right, but its my right to call someone on it. Throwing insults and intentionally trying to move the conversation away from topic is counter to the whole point of this board. Obviously its easier to do that than come up with a well thought out response but I guess thats just how I see it.

You mean Rush is a knapplc fan? I'm honored.

Knapp, I had a long winded response, but I will leave it at this. I fight my own battles, I stand up for what I believe is right, and I wont be intimidated by post counts or mod status. I will continue to post on topic and try to give well thought out responses. If you dont like it feel free to report me or do whatever you mods do with the power to decide what constitutes a personal attack.

• Fire 2

You mean Rush is a knapplc fan? I'm honored.

Maybe he is! :o