The Essential Smart Football

I just finished this book last weekend. Anyone else read it? It's from the guy who runs smartfooball.com, and I would highly recommend it. It's somewhat short, but it helped me understand some stuff I never really knew. He goes into detail about the stuff like match-zone coverages we use, and discusses the "get open" WR routes Beck installed (it's from the run-n-shoot). I've also spent quite a bit of time at his website over the summer, and it's a really cool site if you're into X's and O's.

Website is here: www.smartfootball.com

Book is here.

I just finished this book last weekend. Anyone else read it? It's from the guy who runs smartfooball.com, and I would highly recommend it. It's somewhat short, but it helped me understand some stuff I never really knew. He goes into detail about the stuff like match-zone coverages we use, and discusses the "get open" WR routes Beck installed (it's from the run-n-shoot). I've also spent quite a bit of time at his website over the summer, and it's a really cool site if you're into X's and O's.

Website is here: www.smartfootball.com

Book is here.

I've often thought, without having any real inside information, that the "get open" concept is more based on the WR reading what the defense is doing pre-snap and then basing the route off of what he sees rather than having a play with set routes which would be the old school way.

And match-up zone, I think, is essentially "get open" except in reverse. In other words our defense watches film, notes what types of routes are run in certain down and distance situations, and bases coverage off of it.

Is that more or less the case in both scenarios?

I was looking at the book on Amazon and then I apparently bought it, because it showed up on my Kindle. Looks like I HAVE to read it now! :lol:

Going on Amazon with a beer in one hand and a credit card in the other sometimes works out ok. ;)