2012 Summer Olympics - London Games

knapplc

Jumping on a Trampoline is an Olympic sport but women's softball isn't. That's a but load of crap. How many ways can you figure out to do flips and twists in the air?

T_O_B

Why is softball even a sport?

Just an excuse to drink beers. Well. OK. Maybe it is a sport.

Little bit of a difference between fastpitch softball and mens league slowpitch softball.

So what did you all think about USA-Canada? Do the losers have legitimate complaints?

Any time there's a highly unusual call like that, there's room for complaints.

Bottom line, though, is that Canada didn't lose because of that call. They lost because they couldn't stop the U.S. after that call was made. That call didn't even directly result in a goal - it was the handball off the free kick that allowed the goal, then the U.S. won it in extra time. Canada had chances to win that match well after that call was made.

USA takes the first game, 25-14. Jordan with three kills on seven swings, two blocks and three digs. Hooker once again led the way with six kills on ten swings with two blocks, and Foluke Akinradewo added three kills on just four swings, and another two blocks.

This looks like it will be a quick match if the girls don't lose focus again.

steamroller.gif

So what did you all think about USA-Canada? Do the losers have legitimate complaints?

Any time there's a highly unusual call like that, there's room for complaints.

Bottom line, though, is that Canada didn't lose because of that call. They lost because they couldn't stop the U.S. after that call was made. That call didn't even directly result in a goal - it was the handball off the free kick that allowed the goal, then the U.S. won it in extra time. Canada had chances to win that match well after that call was made.

The argument could be made though, had the delay call not been made, the U.S. would not have scored the tying goal and taken it into OT. I grew up playing soccer and never have I seen that delay penalty ever called. Normally the ref gives the goalie a warning. And nothing I seen from the Canadian goalie indicated to me she was trying to delay the game. I've seen field players employ worse delaying tactics than what she was doing.

Back to women's indoor VB - Team USA leads 2-0 after winning the second set 25-21. The Dominican Republic kept that game close through 10s, then the US pulled ahead, only to see the DR close it up at the end. It's currently 10-7 good guys in the third game.

Jordan's line:

Kills: 8

Swings: 19

Blocks: 2

Aces: 0

Digs: 8

In other news, Destinee Hooker is a freak. Everyone knows she's getting the ball, all tournament long, yet she's still hitting around .500 through four or five matches. Every team keys on her, yet she still puts it down or tools the block.

It's a shame she's 25 - she may not play more than this one Olympics. We'll see.

EDIT - 17-11 USA right now. Eight points from the Semis.