KSU Head Coach Snyder Retiring

HSKRNOKC

Snyder to coach Wildcats for final time Saturday

Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, who took over a downtrodden program in 1989 and orchestrated one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history, has told his team he will retire at the end of this football season, ESPN confirmed Monday night.

Peter Aiken/WireImage.com

Bill Snyder, seen here in 2004, is expected to coach his last game for Kansas State on Saturday.

Snyder will make the announcement on Tuesday at his weekly news conference, two players told ESPN on condition of anonymity late Monday night.

Don Marso, father of senior defensive tackle Derek Marso, said Snyder told the team after Monday's practice that his 17th season as Wildcats coach would be his last.

"I am told it was a teary-eyed meeting," Marso told ESPN's Joe Schad. "It was understandably emotional."

The Wildcats (4-6, 1-6 Big 12) will not play in a bowl for the second straight year after making a bowl in 11 straight seasons. Their final game of the season is Saturday against Missouri.

Snyder, 66, will best be remembered for taking over a moribund program and leading it to the cusp of a national title. The Wildcats were 1-10 in his first season but improved to 5-6 in 1990 and 7-4 in 1991 before falling back to 5-6 again in 1992. But then came the string of 11 straight seasons to end with a bowl game.

Snyder is 135-68-1 in his 16-plus seasons at Kansas State, but the three-year stretch from the 1997-99 seasons is the pinnacle for what a Kansas State coach has achieved and the example of how the big one got away from one of the winningest programs in college football in the 1990s.

Snyder's 1997 Wildcats were hammered 56-36 by old Big 8 nemesis Nebraska in the fourth game of the season before easily running the table to finish 11-1 and ranked No. 7 in the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll and No. 8 by AP.

But the 1998 team suffered the most bitter disappointment, cruising into the Big 12 title game undefeated to play double-digit underdog Texas A&M. The Aggies won 36-33 and took away the Wildcats' shot at a national title. Snyder's team capped the disappointment with a 37-34 loss to Purdue in the Alamo Bowl.

The 1999 team came into the Nebraska game 9-0 but left Lincoln with another crushing defeat, 41-15, and a berth in the Holiday Bowl. A 24-20 victory over Washington raised the Wildcats' record to 11-1 and a No. 6 ranking in both polls.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Snyder's 1997 Wildcats were hammered 56-36 by old Big 8 nemesis Nebraska in the fourth game of the season before easily running the table to finish 11-1 and ranked No. 7 in the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll and No. 8 by AP.

But the 1998 team suffered the most bitter disappointment, cruising into the Big 12 title game undefeated to play double-digit underdog Texas A&M. The Aggies won 36-33 and took away the Wildcats' shot at a national title. Snyder's team capped the disappointment with a 37-34 loss to Purdue in the Alamo Bowl.

The 1999 team came into the Nebraska game 9-0 but left Lincoln with another crushing defeat, 41-15, and a berth in the Holiday Bowl. A 24-20 victory over Washington raised the Wildcats' record to 11-1 and a No. 6 ranking in both polls.

WHATS EVERONES THOUGHTS ON THIS :o

Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, who took over a downtrodden program in 1989 and orchestrated one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history, has told his team he will retire at the end of this football season, ESPN confirmed Monday night

Snyder, 66, will best be remembered for taking over a moribund program and leading it to the cusp of a national title. The Wildcats were 1-10 in his first season but improved to 5-6 in 1990 and 7-4 in 1991 before falling back to 5-6 again in 1992. But then came the string of 11 straight seasons to end with a bowl game.

I THINK WE GIVE BC A CHANCE LIKE THIS OR AM I JUST dedhoarse

:smokin:smokin

I THINK WE GIVE BC A CHANCE LIKE THIS OR AM I JUST dedhoarse

Yes, you're dedhoarse

Please let's not go down this road. I can barely stand the comparisons of BC to TO...if we start comparing him to Snyder I think my head will explode. KSU was a bottom feeder for decades before Snyder got there...not just of the Big8, but of all of college football. They were the Temple of the 20th century. Of course he was going to get time because there were zero expectations. I hate to say it once again....but when you fire a 10 (or nine) win coach while saying 'rebuilding is not an option' exc. exc., you've significantly shortened your timetable. Sorry to rehash that again, I know we're all sick of it.

But back to the topic...Snyder did an amazing job at KSU...that being said, I couldn't stand the guy. Other than the apparent lack of sportsmanship over the years, I just remember him saying after the BCS snub in '98 that it was worse than the day his daughter died or something like that. I've never forgotten that as the ultimate example of a warped perspective on life. Anyway, what do you guys think about what I said before about CU tightening their grip on the North in light of Snyder's retirement? I think it will be ISU chasing CU with everyone else trying to catch up for the next few years.

There is this: