NY Post says that Christie turned down VP

It's still the Post . . . so take it with a grain of salt.

Gov. Chris Christie wasn’t willing to give up the New Jersey statehouse to be Mitt Romney’s running mate because he doubted they’d win, The Post has learned.

Romney’s top aides had demanded Christie step down as the state’s chief executive because if he didn’t, strict pay-to-play laws would have restricted the nation’s largest banks from donating to the campaign — since those banks do business with New Jersey.

But Christie adamantly refused to sacrifice his post, believing that being Romney’s running mate wasn’t worth the gamble.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/christie_had_veeping_doubts_b1gkN5io8CtDgcuiuEgMqL#ixzz24jzMe6gO

The way that story is written, who would know what to believe of it. It was all over the place; Christie turned down Romney but the reasons listed happened after Ryan had already been named. Then they make it sound like Romney didn't want Christie cuz of the donations issue. I really doubt the voracity of this story even though my personal thoughts were that Christie would rather wait four more years and possibly be the top of the ticket. Nothing will ruin a possible presidential run like a loss at a run.

The way that story is written, who would know what to believe of it. It was all over the place; Christie turned down Romney but the reasons listed happened after Ryan had already been named. Then they make it sound like Romney didn't want Christie cuz of the donations issue. I really doubt the voracity of this story even though my personal thoughts were that Christie would rather wait four more years and possibly be the top of the ticket. Nothing will ruin a possible presidential run like a loss at a run.

Which reasons were those?

I have my doubts as well. Strange that a Murdoch owned paper would run with it . . . although there were those rumors about RM wanting Christie to run. Regardless . . . strange.

Actually, I made a mistake with the timeline. Two of the reasons were releasing limited tax returns and the international gaffe tour in July. I was thinking those things happened after Ryan was announced but obviously I was wrong. It may very well be that Christie turned down a VP offer but I don't think the writers of this article are doing much more than guessing at the reasons why. Christie has basically said that 2016 fits him better. That implies two things; he thinks the repub ticket will be open and therefore he is betting Romney won't win in 2012.

Apparently, if Chris turned him down for VP, it was so he could deliver the keynote speech at the RNC and enthusiastically endorse the Romney/Ryan ticket for the white house. It sure seemed to me that Christie really wants to see Romney win and Obama ousted.

Apparently, if Chris turned him down for VP, it was so he could deliver the keynote speech at the RNC and enthusiastically endorse the Romney/Ryan ticket for the white house. It sure seemed to me that Christie really wants to see Romney win and Obama ousted.

his speech sounded like a stump speech for his 2016 campaign.

his speech sounded like a stump speech for his 2016 campaign.

That was my thought as well. Christie seemed much more eager to talk up Christie than Romney. (Talking about his own budgets, etc.)

JJ, which personal lines about Romney did you think were particularly praiseworthy? I definitely agree that Christie wants to see Romney win and Obama ousted . . .

That was my thought as well. Christie seemed much more eager to talk up Christie than Romney. (Talking about his own budgets, etc.)

JJ, which personal lines about Romney did you think were particularly praiseworthy? I definitely agree that Christie wants to see Romney win and Obama ousted . . .

It's not that I felt he went out of his way to praise Romney, he didn't. But, he did seem to genuinely endorse him and want to see Obama replaced now, not later. That alone would fly in the face of the narrative some pundits are giving the supposed Christie/VP issue. However, I do agree with both of you that Christie primarily promoted himself, his views, and his accomplishments. I think it took him about 20 minutes to even mention Romney by name but he was very clear that he felt Romney would do a better job than Obama and that Obama needs to go now, not in 4 more years.

BTW- most of the talking heads afterwards were praising Ann Romneys words but pretty much felt the same way we do about Christie's speech. Personally, I felt his wife could've done a better more thorough job of painting a picture of Mitt being a more normal, everyday type of guy. Prior to her speech, Fox news said what a wonderful job she was going to do in putting a human face to him in answer to the Obama ads that portray him as only a rich, priveleged, company wreaker. The problem there is probably that my hopes were too high because I was watching it with the Fox News spin and not on some other more liberal, Obama spun network. I'm sure her time was limited but I would bet there were more and better examples to give of how their life has not been storybook perfect from day one. Using a door for a table in there first apartment/house and having a child at 22 hardly makes them more "normal" for many people to relate to. And she did not go into enough detail about how he was at her side during her bouts with MS and cancer. I thought she did ok with the little time she used but could've really made him more relatable with more time and detail.