Maurice McClellan Decommits

Fanatic

Thanks for the update Fanatic. Man this stinks. Apparently it comes down to academics AGAIN.

From today's Hartford Courant sports page (www.ctnow.com). Pasted in because you have to be signed in to read it.

McClellan Shucks Huskers, Picks Huskies

February 1, 2004

By TERRY PRICE, Courant Staff Writer

Nebraska's loss is UConn's gain.

Maurice McClellan, a running back/linebacker from Fitch-Groton, said Saturday he has changed his mind and will attend UConn rather than Nebraska.

McClellan, who had given Nebraska an oral commitment, said he will sign a national letter of intent with the Huskies Wednesday, the first day recruits can officially commit.

"Nebraska will get a shock," McClellan said .UConn also will likely receive commitments from offensive lineman William Beatty, of York, Pa., and kicker Tony Ciaravino of Boca Raton, Fla. McClellan, Beatty, Ciaravino, safety Lou Allen of East Lyme and tight end Rob Getek of Nashua, N.H., made official visits to UConn over the weekend. McClellan was recruited by Nebraska as a running back, but he expects to play outside linebacker for UConn. McClellan (6 feet 3, 210 pounds) said he decided Nebraska was too far away. "This is closer to home," he said. "Nebraska was in the middle of nowhere. I can be close to my family here. This is the place to be." Beatty (6-6, 275) said he would sign with the Huskies if he did not hear again from Arizona State. "I haven't heard from them in a while," Beatty said. "UConn is my top choice. If Arizona [state] doesn't come back, I look forward to [signing with UConn]." Ciaravino has an offer from Oregon State, but said UConn was his top choice. He said he made 9 of 12 field goal attempts this season, the longest 50 yards. He said he hadn't been offered a scholarship by UConn, but hoped that would happen today. "I will definitely take the offer from UConn," Ciaravino said. He would compete with Matt Nuzie, who made 11 of 21 field goals last season, going 3-for-13 from beyond 29 yards.

oh well, better now than later. man is anyone starting to wonder if we may just be pursuing the wrong breed of talent? Ive heard more about potential "partial qualifiers" and others that may not qualify and have to go to JUCO than ever before. this is indication of the change in recrutiing philosophies. TO and Frank didnt go after these types of guys. So there is a price to pay for these "blue chippers" after all. welcome to reality guys, this may only be the tip of the berg.

damn. whatevr. Ive heard that the replacement for MM may be a kid named Delbert Ferguson, who Frank and co were pursuing earlier. he has expressed a great deal of interest in NU, but Call did not reciprocate. He broke his leg last year, so only had 500 yds and 6 TD last yr. hes a 3 star and is 6-1 215 with a 4.5 40.

He is ready to decide today b/t Wash St and Cinci, so if we want to rekindle sumthin Call better do it fast.

Yeh not sure if Call will pursue DF or not. The hangup on him was that he doesnt quite have the hands BC would like to see for a WCO back.

Good point redcountry. This is definitely the caveat for the new recruiting philosophy of "just get the best athlete", and worry about stuff like qualifying later. Thats true I dont think Oz or Frank found themselves in this situation very often. It'll be interesting to see if this trend continues and starts to wreak havoc.

FYI here are the decoms since last fall:

Seth Olsen (coaching flux)

Maurice McClellan (grades)

Allan Evridge (coaching flux)

Terrence Nunn (hopefully will ultimately switch back)

D.T. McDowell (uncertainty)

Gabe Hatchett (grades)

Byron Smith (off field problems)

What do you think, if we kept Solich would we be better or worse off than we are now? Im not talking long term, just this season. Thoughts?

I think every time a little adversity hits us, people start questioning. My bottom line is that the recruiting class is already better than what Solich would be able to put together (just my opinion). I also think everyone just needs to ride the waves a bit. Think of it as a football game! When you have a couple of turn overs or get behind in the game, you don't panic and start questioning your decisions, you make adjustments. You have to remember, you are dealing with kids (the recruits), many of which are probably not going to be scholastic all-americans. They have a lot of family and outside influences, maybe even girlfriends that are tugging at them. I don't think we've lost much to be honost and we just have to "stick to the game plan" with a couple of adjustments we'll be fine.

Things are certainly better off than if Solich were there. This guy who just decommitted I think was looking for an excuse to switch. At RB he saw a lot of competition and not much of an opportunity to play. Or it just be the fact, according to that article, maybe a lot of players in his area are going to UConn and he wants to be part of an up and coming program.

redout

I actually don't have too much of a problem with those who have decommitted. I would be far more worried if they were doing so to go to powerhouse programs. They're not, which to me indicates that the reasons don't really have to do with Nebraska, per se, but with other factors - grades, proximity to home, that sort of thing. That means, to me, that had they committed to Nebraska and actually reported, there is a strong likelihood that they would never have contributed or remained. Better that they never report and take a scholarship than to have one wasted.

Is this class better than what Solich would have at the same point in time? Always difficutlt to judge, but my honest opinion is, "Yes". It does appear that they are better athletes, at least.

Having said that, athletisim alone can be a curse. Too often these "super" athletes are undisciplined, spoiled, and uncoachable - they are more concerned with "going to the next level" than doing what is best for the team.

Yes, you have to have some of these "super" athletes. But total reliance on them is misplaced, I believe. Like it or not, character and commitment is important. Players have to understand that they must sacrifice, and that for the good of the team the athlete may have to develop or wait his turn. The "super" athlete is not used to this - he expects instant stardom and to have coaches bow to him, rather than the other way around.

What a program needs, in the long run, are those rare "super" athletes that can sublimate their egos sufficiently to contribute to the team, rather than to their goal of getting an NFL contract.

Partial qualifiers are not, necessarily, bad, but you have to carefully evaluate why they are partial qualifiers. Did they lack the discipline to work in high school? Are they incapable of really making the grade in college? Or were they simply deprived of the type of environment that most kids have - and have they demonstrated the traits to take advantage of that environment when offered by NU? Find enough of the latter, and you have something. Get too many of the former, and you have dissension and problems.

Good points guys. Yes I would agree that this class supersedes a Solich class even with a full season to do it. Yes we will have some minor setbacks along the way, but as CH mentioned we just need to stay focused and not waver from the objective. Yes it may be different than we're used to around here, but it seems it may be the only solution to help us compete nationally again. So along the way incidents like this one will occur, but yes that appears to be part of the process.

Good luck to MM, good job to BC and co., and GBR!!