NU 90's reminds me of Bama now

Flood

Oversigning is no longer a thing, correct.

Although they still do the sketchy grayshirt thing and 'Bama has signed kids without having room for them in the current class, so basically told them to keep working out and bide their time and join the next year's class. For real. And they drop kids from scholarship like none other. So they still have a numbers advantage recruiting-wise.

• Fire 1

Found this article from January 2011 on SI:

*Snip

When Football Bowl Subdivision schools across the nation begin signing football players on Feb. 2, they'll have to adhere for the first time to an NCAA bylaw that limits them to 28 signees between Signing Day and May 31. Unchanged is the rule that declares schools can bring in only 25 new scholarship players each academic year. Also unchanged is the rule that allows schools to have only 85 total players on scholarship at a given time. So now that a nationwide rule governs signee totals, the morally shaky practice of oversigning should end. Shouldn't it?

Not even close. The rule isn't worth the paper on which it's printed, and everyone in college football knows it.

The NCAA rule was sponsored by the SEC, home to some of the nation's most notorious oversigners. The SEC passed its own rule in 2009, and that rule was in place last year when Auburn signed 32 players and LSU signed 29. Thanks to a lingering numbers drought in the Loveliest Village on the Plains following coach Tommy Tuberville's 2008 ouster, Auburn managed to squeeze every academically qualified player onto the roster. That wasn't the case at LSU, where coach Les Miles already had tried to clear the decks by cutting quarterback Chris Garrett. Miles misjudged how many of his academically shaky signees would qualify, and by summer's end, Miles had two more qualified newcomers than he had available scholarships.

It sounds like the rule is in place but it may take some time to see the effects

I was thinking exactly the same thing about their defense. Like the 90's blackshirts, they are physical, aggressive, talented and seemed to be playing with 12 men. They were always in position to make a play. Well coached team.

Their offense is impressive too. Nothing complicated, just sound blocking and moving the ball at will. They were getting 8 yards by running straight up the middle. They manhandled a good Michigan team tonight. I will be surprised if they lose a game this year.

You know a team is completely dominating you when their wide recievers are De-cleating linebackers. Meatchicken looked like scared deer in the headlights tonight. They had no business being ranked #8 anyways.

Bama's defensive guys and even their special teams were flying to the ball and just laying the wood! Absolutely zero concern for their own personal safety and I can admire that from a defensive player. Awesome to see.....................if they do go undefeated and USC does as well....................I hope they DESTROY USC and take out Lane Kiffin along the way.

Found this article from January 2011 on SI:

*Snip

When Football Bowl Subdivision schools across the nation begin signing football players on Feb. 2, they'll have to adhere for the first time to an NCAA bylaw that limits them to 28 signees between Signing Day and May 31. Unchanged is the rule that declares schools can bring in only 25 new scholarship players each academic year. Also unchanged is the rule that allows schools to have only 85 total players on scholarship at a given time. So now that a nationwide rule governs signee totals, the morally shaky practice of oversigning should end. Shouldn't it?

Not even close. The rule isn't worth the paper on which it's printed, and everyone in college football knows it.

The NCAA rule was sponsored by the SEC, home to some of the nation's most notorious oversigners. The SEC passed its own rule in 2009, and that rule was in place last year when Auburn signed 32 players and LSU signed 29. Thanks to a lingering numbers drought in the Loveliest Village on the Plains following coach Tommy Tuberville's 2008 ouster, Auburn managed to squeeze every academically qualified player onto the roster. That wasn't the case at LSU, where coach Les Miles already had tried to clear the decks by cutting quarterback Chris Garrett. Miles misjudged how many of his academically shaky signees would qualify, and by summer's end, Miles had two more qualified newcomers than he had available scholarships.

It sounds like the rule is in place but it may take some time to see the effects

Sounds like the rule isn't going to do a whole hell of a lot to change things.

I never imagined the Huskers 90's run would be matched.

I am reconsidering, as I watch them humiliate Michigan. Is MU overrated? I really don't think so. Maybe a little, but it IS Michigan, you expect great things from them.

I see Bama dominating in the same manner NU whipped Florida.

Bama has played for a couple championships in the last couple years and could be there again this year.

It is like watching pro-bowlers against middle school kids. Okay, big exaggeration, but the Bama team is flat-out amazing. If T-Mart keeps up the good work, we could face these guys. I love the idea of being in the MNC, and I know it is WAY too early to even suggest such a thing, but whoever ends up there--if playing Bama--is going to have a tall mountain to climb.

The Bama team is fun to watch, in the way the Huskers were in the 90's as well. It is pure brute force, and they simply WILL NOT be stopped.

Your thoughts?

My thought? A thread about Alabama doesn't belong on the main football page of a Nebraska site.

You know a team is completely dominating you when their wide recievers are De-cleating linebackers. Meatchicken looked like scared deer in the headlights tonight. They had no business being ranked #8 anyways.

Agreed, but I don't even have the Huskers in the Top 25.

Welp, that settles it then. Might as well cancel the season.

Agreed, but I don't even have the Huskers in the Top 25.

Welp, that settles it then. Might as well cancel the season.

Personally, I don't think that kind of statement brings about a "good" discussion. You know I didn't say that and you also know I'm not a newbie to the board ... we play the season to see who is the best. You obviously believe the Huskers are better then the ranking ... I see it differently. But please ... don't put words in my mouth (and yes, I see the sarcasm). Grant another Husker fan who has been true to this board for 6-7 years a little bit of room to disagree with you and others on the board. I just don't think the B1G is all that good as a conference ... I didn't think highly of the conference when we were in the Big 12 and since we've joined it it has actually gotton weaker then traditionally.