Why have we become a destination where you can learn on the job?

I just don't understand why we as fans have come to accept this.

Anytime a question like this is raised people are ridiculed and the typical retort is "shame on you for asking" combined with a response pointing to TO's past and how he almost left for CU...it took him time...etc. etc. (or some variation thereof).

The college football landscape has changed and i think a big problem for us is that we are not changing with it. Leadership starts from the top down and if we have antiquated thinking at the top, then how are we ever going to find our identity as a program again?

Whether it's Pelini, Beck or whomever else at what point does someone take a step back and question our approach? Why do we insist on sourcing folks who need to learn on the job instead of going after coaches with a quantifiable pedigrees? This is not Rocket Science...Alabama did it, LSU did it, Michigan did it, South Carolina did it. All of these programs hired Head Coaches with a proven pedigree of winning as HEAD COACHES at their previous destination.

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results?

I'm reminded of the many years it took Dr. Tom to realize that the missing ingredient he so desperately needed (on a simplified level) was lots and lots of SPEED. When he finally realized this and made it a recruiting priority, a legend was born.

It is time for us to get proven coaching commodities; again, Nebraska should not be a destination where you learn on the job.

Put simply, we deserve better than that...

UCLA outplayed us, no question.

I am reminded of all the trouble we had with Florida schools in the 80's and 90's. Then it WAS speed. Now it is speed AND smarts. IT is a very different game. I think we can expect Bo to catch up to this and improve.

I thought this year would be a potential surprise, but I always thought next year would be our real shot.

I still feel that way, but am also stung by this loss.

We did a decent job of flipping the momentum when we turned the "fast snap" offense back on UCLA, but we were not ready to do it on a continuous basis. We need to, if we want to compete in this new world, just as we did under Tom.

Tom recognized it and I think Bo will, too.

I think we give Bo another 3-4 years. Remember how long it took for Tom to climb that mountain. Remember that Texas A&M is currently paying salary to FOUR different head coaches. Sometimes patience can STILL win the day.

In 4-5 years, if Bo has not figured it out it is time to move on.

Our D needs a lot of help, which is sad, since that is Bo's supposed pedigree. One game, though, is not the beginning or the end.

I hoped for better, for sure, but give UCLA props. I think Mora may be the ultimate answer to USC and Kiffin. And USC did NOT look that good today. UCLA has all the same inherent advantages as USC. I think Mora is going to be their saviour, and return them to being constant winners.

• Fire 1

Also,

I would not be opposed to a Solich return. I thought we were short-sighted then, and I think it now.

Frank is a helluva coach. All he does is win.

So, he lost the 2-3 games WE considered important, in what? His 3rd season? Thank god we didn't run Bob or Tom out of here on that basis. Though we almost lost Tom to Colorado. Geez. I get sick in the stomach just thinking about swapping places with Colorado right now.

Also remember, Bo seems to take his job as an educator seriously. I admire that. Of course I want to win games too, but Tom taught me that playing to our potential is more important than winning at all costs. He also taught me that we can win AND educate, and keep our ethics and morals intact.

That, I think, means more than a single loss. As long as we play to our potential and strive to improve I will be satisfied. Not happy necessarily, but I am not willing to sell my soul, and Nebraska's, for a trophy.

Tonight's game left me empty, but I cannot measure this until the season is coming to a close. These young men deserve better, and we have not entered B1G play yet.

• Fire 1

UCLA outplayed us, no question.

I am reminded of all the trouble we had with Florida schools in the 80's and 90's. Then it WAS speed. Now it is speed AND smarts. IT is a very different game. I think we can expect Bo to catch up to this and improve.

I thought this year would be a potential surprise, but I always thought next year would be our real shot.

I still feel that way, but am also stung by this loss.

We did a decent job of flipping the momentum when we turned the "fast snap" offense back on UCLA, but we were not ready to do it on a continuous basis. We need to, if we want to compete in this new world, just as we did under Tom.

Tom recognized it and I think Bo will, too.

I think we give Bo another 3-4 years. Remember how long it took for Tom to climb that mountain. Remember that Texas A&M is currently paying salary to FOUR different head coaches. Sometimes patience can STILL win the day.

In 4-5 years, if Bo has not figured it out it is time to move on.

Our D needs a lot of help, which is sad, since that is Bo's supposed pedigree. One game, though, is not the beginning or the end.

I hoped for better, for sure, but give UCLA props. I think Mora may be the ultimate answer to USC and Kiffin. And USC did NOT look that good today. UCLA has all the same inherent advantages as USC. I think Mora is going to be their saviour, and return them to being constant winners.

Bo does not deserve another 4-5 years. As bad as this crappy conference is, if he doesn't win the confernce this or next year, then he needs to be gone. He's obivously over his head just as Frank was. We need a proven winner with the freedom to do what he needs to do without being ridiculed for not being an "nebraska guy."