Tom Osborne's last game

BIG ERN

I was there! I was 18 and a senior in high school. My best friend said he was going with a couple of juniors in college, so I went home and told my parents I was going too . Needless to say they didn't love the idea. After hours of explaining to my parents why I so badly needed and wanted to go ( Osborne's last game, we were gonna win the National Championship) they caved and let me go. 5 of us drove 24 hours straight in a Chevy Corsica to get there, won 1000 dollars playing scratch tickets at a truck stop in MO, were about murdered in East St. Louis gas station otherwise made it to Miami unscathed. The night before the game we watched the Michigan game with Tennessee fans who were awesome and not too mention not horrible to look at. They hated Michigan too because Woodson beat out Manning for the Heisman.

We went to the Coors Light tailgate party, ended up on ESPN, stole a 50' string of red and white balloons, got them into the stadium and tied them above our seats in the very top row, called my parents from a pay phone to tell them to look for the balloons and if you look closely in the opening first shots of the game you can see them. By half we were setting in the lower bowl at about the 35, 15 rows up. The game was amazing and I will never forget. It was one of the coolest things I have ever experience and still get goosebumps every time Scott Frost gives his speech after the game.

After the game we ended up at The Dollhouse in Ft Lauderdale, which at 18 I must admit is was amazing. As minors they made us were t-shirts that said minor on it and we received special attention from the ladies. We ran into some UT fans that were kind enough to buy us some personal dances and closed the place down, only to go back to the hotel grab our stuff and head back because we had a basketball tourney in 2 days.

It was a once in a lifetime trip and one that I am proud to say I was at! TO is a great coach and a better man!

• Fire 1

I watched this when I lived in Omaha, originally. It was the culmination of the greatest run in CFB history.

Alabama may challenge it this year, we will see. But this was incredible.

One thing that struck me: The commentators spoke incredulously about the out of control coaching salaries. Fulmer had just been given a 5 or 7 year extension that guaranteed 750k per year.

Was it really so recent? It seems like forever that coaches have been overpaid.

Nice to rewatch this, and thanks for sharing.

One other thought:

Commentators saying: Big 10 played poorly that year, winning only 2 of 5 bowl games.

Wins over Colorado, Notre Dame, Baylor ooc. All of which tanked in the season.

Interesting that the clock has swung fill circle and Nebraska is now part of a sub-par B1G.

After watching, I think the split championship for NU and Michigan was probably the best outcome.

Even these commentators were chatting about a playoff, soon to come, thank goodness.

Anyway, fun to watch this game again. Thanks

I watched this when I lived in Omaha, originally. It was the culmination of the greatest run in CFB history.

Alabama may challenge it this year, we will see. But this was incredible.

One thing that struck me: The commentators spoke incredulously about the out of control coaching salaries. Fulmer had just been given a 5 or 7 year extension that guaranteed 750k per year.

Was it really so recent? It seems like forever that coaches have been overpaid.

Nice to rewatch this, and thanks for sharing.

And as has been done for the past 50 years ....... I have no problem comparing NU to AL ,or vice versa, as stalwarts of college football.

We're still going to be one of the top 10, if not top 5 programs in the modern era. Having a run like that makes us special and something we should be proud of.