Offense / Defense - Something I've noticed

Has anyone else noticed how we fail to function as a "team" and instead operate as two individual units? Just my opinion and maybe others see it differently, but I made a post in another thread about momentum, and how we can't seem to keep it, or gain it during road games. It seems to me that a huge reason why is that our offense doesn't key off the defense at all. We know there are issues there. But when they arise the tempo doesn't change a bit. We're up 17-7 and the defense gives up a huge play that results in 7. 100% on the defense, but the momentum was still in our favor at that point, we'd still just put up 17 on them and completely shut down Braxton and their offense until that run. What does Beck do? After already giving up a pick 6, he goes back to the patented hurry up rush - pass - pass that leads to another interception in 60 seconds and the defense is back on the field. Boom, momentum goes the other way, game over. We needed a slow, methodical, sustained drive to regain the momentum lost. Huddle up, give the defense a chance to regroup, even if it is 5 plays for 18 yards....take a few minutes off the game clock. But it seems the offense operates completely independent of the defense and completely without regard to the game being played. 100% on Bo IMO.

Mannnnn, you need some paragraphs up in there :lol:

I don't agree with two separate units. I think this team is far more cohesive than you give them credit for. I would agree with a concern somebody else expressed in another thread about a lack of on-field leaders to rally around. Then again, we just got our teeth knocked in by a superior opponent. So who knows?

Talking about tempo, New England just obliterated Denver yesterday with an extremely up-tempo no-huddle. However, they also did a pretty good job controlling the clock this way. I think our offense is a little less reliable in that category though so perhaps our no-huddle hurts us more than it hurts the defense. That's an interesting argument.

I think it is a worthy question and concern. Our style of offense doesn't help the defense at all. Most high powered offenses that are quick strike design their defenses around speed and risk. They set their defenses up to try to force turnovers to get the ball back for their offense but not built to stop an opponent really.

We don't have a good enough passing attack to put that type of stress on a defense that isn't built to take to many chances.

The blackshirt defenses of old forced a lot of turnovers due to speed and their attacking nature. Then our offense got on the field and worked the clock or busted big long plays. It was a balanced and deadly combination.