Something I heard on 1620 this week...

So I forget if it was Damon Benning or Greg Sharpe who said it, but they threw out an interesting theory that I kinda wanna know how you guys weigh in on it.

Tommie Armstrong, big arm QB from Cibolo. I've watched the vids, the guy has the arm and seems like the experience to run our offense and according to everyone on the team, he gets better and better every week.

Anyhow, on 1620 this week Damon or Greg (forget who said it) said something to the effect of "Taylor Martinez will start at QB in 2013, but if he shows signs of struggle again, and Tommie A doesn't get a shot...Tommie will not be at NU the following year." When I heard this, I panicked. I kept thinking how bad it would be to lose a great talent like that. It's been bugging a ton this week. It's not that I don't respect Taylor, in fact, he's been our guy when we had no one to hang our hat on and has shown so much heart all 3 years he's started...but when we have a complete QB like Tommie (and possibly another one coming in Johnny Stanton) I just hope that, next year during the spring there actually is a competition for the starting spot. I would hate to see good player go on to bigger better things elsewhere because they aren't getting a shot.

Your thoughts?

So I forget if it was Damon Benning or Greg Sharpe who said it, but they threw out an interesting theory that I kinda wanna know how you guys weigh in on it.

Tommie Armstrong, big arm QB from Cibolo. I've watched the vids, the guy has the arm and seems like the experience to run our offense and according to everyone on the team, he gets better and better every week.

Anyhow, on 1620 this week Damon or Greg (forget who said it) said something to the effect of "Taylor Martinez will start at QB in 2013, but if he shows signs of struggle again, and Tommie A doesn't get a shot...Tommie will not be at NU the following year." When I heard this, I panicked. I kept thinking how bad it would be to lose a great talent like that. It's been bugging a ton this week. It's not that I don't respect Taylor, in fact, he's been our guy when we had no one to hang our hat on and has shown so much heart all 3 years he's started...but when we have a complete QB like Tommie (and possibly another one coming in Johnny Stanton) I just hope that, next year during the spring there actually is a competition for the starting spot. I would hate to see good player go on to bigger better things elsewhere because they aren't getting a shot.

Your thoughts?

Why the hell would tommie come too NU with that attitude knowing T-mart is the starting QB?

That don't make sh#t for sense.

If he has that attitude he would have gone somewhere else where he could have started right away.

I think he came here and will stay because he loves his team, Bo, the university, and the state. And also because i'm sure he knows he can compete for the starting job in 2014 as a Redshirt soph.

Taylor is not the problem. Taylor is the guy... you stand behind your quarterback. You give your players unneeded confidence issues when you bench them at the first sniffle sneeze or cough. Tommie wouldn't want to be benched if he earned the starting job and he had a hiccup in a game either.

Yeah, I'd agree with that Nobody, except Taylor has enjoyed unlimited job security for years. With a lot of mistake-filled performances over that time.

I agree with what they're saying: Taylor has to continue to prove and earn his job. If these kind of struggles continue and his job security continues unlimited, it would not be surprising for a backup QB to leave, although Tommy would only be a redshirt freshman next season. If Taylor is the starting QB next year, I think he should win an (open) competition in spring and fall. If he's good enough, he'll win it.

toten, I think most players go into a program with the attitude of 'I'm going to compete for the position and do my best', not 'Well, this guy is obviously better than me, so I'll just have to sit around for a few years.' Just the nature of competitive athletics, no?

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, with him "changing" so much this offseason. With his mistakes at QB we WILL NOT win big games.

My thought exactly. How often are we gonna watch him revert back to bad habits whenever he plays a defense with a pulse? It's one thing to show confidence in a QB, it's another story when he has a track record of meltdowns against good teams.

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, with him "changing" so much this offseason. With his mistakes at QB we WILL NOT win big games.

My thought exactly. How often are we watch him revert back to bad habits whenever he plays a defense with a pulse?

I wanted to defend this team this year, but it's the same ole Bo led team. I obviously want them to win, but something HAS to change. You can say our offense played good last week, and our defense was the downfall. I say without the massive amount of turnovers that game could have been a lot closer. Who was it with all of those turnovers?

Taylor looked pretty damn good against Ohio State last season, Wisconsin this season, Northwestern last year, UCLA this year.

Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. IIRC, he did good against South Carolina in the bowl game also. Three of those are losses. Hence, a lot of the time when we lose, it is not Taylor's fault at all. Even this year's Ohio State game wasn't his fault IMO. He had a hand in giving OSU that game and making it look embarrassing, but you've gotta blame that one on the defense.

Taylor is a good QB. If he happens to get beat out by Armstrong next year, so be it. At that point, I will be the biggest Tommy Armstrong supporter out there. Until that point, Martinez is our guy.

Your thoughts?

Why the hell would tommie come too NU with that attitude knowing T-mart is the starting QB?

That don't make sh#t for sense.

If he has that attitude he would have gone somewhere else where he could have started right away.

I think he came here and will stay because he loves his team, Bo, the university, and the state. And also because i'm sure he knows he can compete for the starting job in 2014 as a Redshirt soph.

You don't make sh#t for sense. Sorry but he's not going to stay solely because he "loves" the team, Bo and the freaking state. That's hilarious by the way. Part of the reason he came here is because he know's he phenomenal and that NU is weak at the QB position and that he had a great chance to compete and take over the starting job. He's not going to stay if he doesn't get a shot. He his not here because he loves Nebraska. He is here to be a starter, win and move to the next level. If I was a star like him and saw how bad TM is, I would have been here too. The guys on 1620 are absolutely right.

Speaking of delusional, when the defense is giving up 42 points a game and 6.5 YPP against BCS teams, you could put joe Montana at QB, and it wouldn't matter. But go ahead and blame the QB for us losing....

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents.

:facepalm:

Taylor's Ohio State, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri wins, off the top of my head, were against "nobody" opponents?

Yes, facepalm. If you actually believe Taylor is the one winning our games, you are delusional my friend.

If you actually believe Taylor is the one losing our games, you are delusional my friend.

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents.

:facepalm:

Taylor's Ohio State, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri wins, off the top of my head, were against "nobody" opponents?

Yes, facepalm. If you actually believe Taylor is the one winning our games, you are delusional my friend.

If you actually believe Taylor is the one losing our games, you are delusional my friend.

I don't think anyone thinks TM is the one losing our games! But he is a BIG part of the problem. Being critical of one aspect doesn't mean we blame everything on that one aspect. There is a lot wrong with this team. It's not just one thing. And for you to believe that someone thinks it's only TM losing the games is ridiculous. Quit being so eager to defend and show your blind loyalty. I'm sick of sanctimonious Husker fans who reject any criticism of Bo, TM or any other weakness on the team.