where are the critics now

Wow, did you even read my post, even the part that you quoted? I never said that this year's defense is as good as our ones from the 90's. I simply refuted your claim that the type of athlete that Callahan is recruiting is slow and overweight, and pointed out that the prime example of slow and overweight on this year's defense, who is Adam Carriker, leads the big twelve in sacks. Barry Turner is small and runs a 4.5 as well, i forgot to add that one. Dont make blanket statements about how everyone that Callahan plays and is bringing in is overweight and slow without looking up the facts first. Your wrong. Deal with it. The issue on defense may reside in scheme or injuries, or even just not quite having the talent we need, I dont know, but I do know that the defense has plenty of fast players on it, and saying that Callahan is bringing in slow, overweight athletes is a bald faced lie. You got caught, its ok, move on.

So youre saying that the CBs cover as good as the Ralph Browns, T Williams, B Miles, M Bookers?? You think that either Carriker or Moore can hold a candle to Wistrom, Tomich, Alberts, or Rucker?? How many OLBs does NU now have that run like Farley, J Williams, Ortiz, or E Johnson??

I know that there are a couple of DEs that NU has recruited in the last couple of years that run from 4.8-5.0 40s. Moores 40 time was 50 pounds ago. If you think that McKeon is that fast, then why has he been getting beat this year (Mizzou game is a prime example).

If you want to talk about a bald-faced lie how about this statement:

Dont make blanket statements about how everyone that Callahan plays and is bringing in is overweight and slow without looking up the facts first.....and saying that Callahan is bringing in slow, overweight athletes

I did not say that they were "overweight and slow". I merely mentioned that these coaches are not recruiting the same types of players that NU did when we were great and that they were not as fast as those great teams.

Omg, do u even read???? NO, THESE CORNERS dont cover as well as the corners of old, but YES they are just as fast. NO ADAM CARRIKER IS NOT GRANT WISTROM, but he did lead the big twelve in sacks. JOSH BULLUCKS IS JUST AS FAST AS MICHAEL BOOKER, and the guys we are bringing in ARE FASTER!!!! HOW MANY OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS DO WE NEED THAT RUN 4.5s BEFORE YOU REALIZE THAT SPEED IS NOT THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. Rulon davis is the only guys i can think of that runs slow for a defensive end according to his forty time, so where are all of these slow defensive ends Callahan is bringing in. Tomerlin and Potter were both being looked at for tight end for christ sake. These guys obviously arent slow. Dontrelle Moore, who runs a 4.5, now plays defensive end. We have a commitment from a DT that runs a 4.75!!!!!!!!!! How much faster do you want??? Lets just lineup wide recievers at every position, than we will be unstoppable. My god, do you ever admit that your wrong? We are not recruiting slow athletes. This defense is not as good as one in the 90's. Both of these statements are pure FACT. Not conjecture, so either put up or shut up.

To be completely honest, we just DON'T know enough about how truly fast the current bunch is. We have some numbers from camps that are about as unreliable as anything can be. A 4.4 was routinely a 4.6 or 4.65 in our electronic system. Most of the current player 40 times are cited from camp numbers or elsewhere as NU no longer publishes their testing numbers.

The other point is that we do have fast players, but the overall mix is important. If you have a slow OLB that becomes very important, where a slow DT is no big deal and really not relevant.

The final point is that the 90's defenses were among the best ever. Almost that entire D went to the NFL or had the potential to be in the NFL. It's hardly blasting the current bunch to suggest that it is unlikely that 10 of next year's starting D will end up in NFL camps - although I do think that we have a large nubmer with that potential.

--Alan...

Have you bothered to watch any games from the past 2 years??? If so, do you think that the last 2 teams look anywhere remotely close to what we saw in the 90's??? Can you honestly say that?? Or do you not remember how dominant and fast those teams were. Those teams were all over the field, not just one guy, but 11 guys on every single play.

There is no comparision whatsoever.

Firstly, the players you're dissing were Solich recruits. Are you dissing his recruiting? Could that be? Is that what some of us have been saying all along?

There's no question of the dominance of the teams of the mid 90's. While that would be the model of success to strive for, comparing this year's team to those defenses is like comparing apples to oranges. Firstly, the 93, 94, and 95 teams had all americans on the DL. Having a stellar pass rush definately helps the back 7 in coverage along with being able to stuff the run. I'm not saying our DL wasn't awfully good this year, but we weren't exactly loaded with talent up front like the year we had Wistrom, both Peters and also Rucker i believe. There was also at least one bona fide playmaker in the secondary such as a Brown, Minter or even Miles.

Also, the defenses of the 90's were coached by the great Charlie McBride. He alone had 20+ years of coaching experience at Nebraska. He also ran a much different defense. While still a 4-3, there was a lot more man coverage and a lot more blitzing, especially in 99.

This year's team is more zone oriented as that is the way football has gone. Kids want to play in a cover 2 type system since that's what the pros use. Also, with the way Carriker lined up basically anchoring an entire side of the defense he needs to be bigger. We need at least one large body to put on that end of the line to eat up blocks and allow the linebackers to make plays, so saying we're recruiting bigger and slower players to put on the line is somewhat deceiving since they're more necessary in our current system.

The Mike doesn't really need to be blazing fast since it's not his job to control the flats. I'd be interested to see how McKeon and Dillard's 40 times compare to Barret Ruud, Carlos Polk, or even Phil Ellis (94). A Mike covering a TE is almost always a mismatch, just the way football goes. Terrel Farley's aren't everyday finds, saying we should be recruiting guys like him is like saying we should recruit guys like Leinart to play qb. They don't come along every day.

Of course this year's defense, and offense for that matter, don't match up with the teams of the mid 90's. That's why we aren't in the NC game. I'll wager the defenses of the mid to late 80's didn't match up with those guys either.