where are the critics now

But I also can't deny how horrible the offense looked for 90% of the rest of the season.

Both running backs steadily have become comfortable with the playbook.

Early in the season, however, “I didn’t know what side to line up on,” Glenn said.

“We pretty much know the offense now,” he added. “It’s just a matter of getting more reps and getting in rhythm.”

Probably why most of the team seemed out of sync. WCO+New Team= Patience.

When there is parity and great, fast athletes on defense the option offense doesn't work.  Otherwise, the NFL would be running it; and USC; and every  other Top 10 team.

sorry man i dont buy it. one reason the pros dont run an option based attack has alot to do with $, those qbs cost alot and they dont want to have to pay them to ride the pine while theyre broke. secondly youll never convince me that speed has killed the option offense, there is speed on the offensive side too, and alot of an option attack is based off misdirection. $ are what have killed the option based offense in college football, alot of todays recruits look purely at playing as a pro. not at winning in college and getting an education.

Oh no! This is the WCO offense that can score in under a minute given the right play call. This is the "New Nebraska."

The old nebraska could score in under a minute given the right play call. Hell anyone can score under a minute given the right play call.

I was just pointing out that the WCO is more "point productive" than the old option.

Use the high point deficits by NU on a few occasions as an example.

The option attack probably wouldn't have the same sort of chance of recovering as the WCO proved in those games. (Although still falling short)

I understand your point about the WCO being a quick score offense, but the old option attack didn't have too many problems scoring 40, 50, 60, or even 70 points per game. The WCO can also be ineffective when the execution is lacking. Just look at the pitt game. A whole 7 points was scored.

It can also prolong the agony like it did last year against TT. BC just kept winging the ball and throwing incomplete passes and stopping the clock. There are pros and cons to each offense. I think the WCO is more of a fair weather offense though. There is nothing like good old smashmouth football in 10 degree weather with 6 inches of snow on the ground.

sorry man i dont buy it.  one reason the pros dont run an option based attack has alot to do with $, those qbs cost alot and they dont want to have to pay them to ride the pine while theyre broke.

I am stumped when it comes to history of the AFL, so help me out here.

Let's rewind to 1960's.

Len Dawson- In his first season, 1962, Dawson had led the league in touchdowns and yards per attempt. He was the Sporting News selection as the AFL MVP for 1962. A pinpoint passer with four AFL passing titles, he went on to be selected an AFL All-Star six times, and holds the American Football League’s number one career passer rating.

Tom Flores- He became the team's starting quarterback early in the 1960 season and led the league by completing 54.0 percent of his passes, throwing for 1,738 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Jack Kemp- He led Buffalo to three straight Eastern Division titles and two American Football League championsips, in 1964 and 1965, throwing to Hall of Fame receivers Elbert Dubenion and Ernie Warlick. Kemp was the first 3,000 yard passer in the American Football League (1960, 14-game schedule)and the league's Most Valuable Player in 1965. He had the most career passes attempted, most completions and most yards gained passing in the history of the American Football League.

Daryle Lamonica - In his first year with the Raiders, he threw for 30 touchdowns and ran for four more. In 1969, he threw for 34 touchdowns and over 3,300 yards.

Joe Namath - Signed to the Jets team by Hall of Fame owner Sonny Werblin in 1965, Namath was the first pro quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards in a season (1967).

Vito Parilli - He played for the Patriots from 1961 through 1966, and was a three-time AFL All-Star. In 1964, throwing to fellow Hall of Famer Gino Cappelletti, he amassed nearly 3,500 yards passing, with 31 touchdowns.

So I am wondering if these QB's ran the option in college, then switched over to the passing game when they went pro due to the risk of injury?

Let's post a Husker Classic. The ONLY QB from Nebraska that I know of to get drafted to the Pro's, (as a QB.)

Vince Ferragamo- (born April 24, 1954 in Torrance, California) was an American football quarterback from the late 1970s through the mid-1980s. A University of Nebraska Cornhuskers graduate. He played for the Los Angeles Rams (1977-1980 and 1982-1984), Buffalo Bills (1985) and Green Bay Packers (1985-1986). He played in Super Bowl XIV. He also played for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League for one year, 1981.

On December 26, 1982, Ferragamo threw for 509 yards in a game against the Chicago Bears, at the time the second highest passing mark in league history.

When there is parity and great, fast athletes on defense the option offense doesn't work.  Otherwise, the NFL would be running it; and USC; and every  other Top 10 team.

Texas A&M seemed to have some success aginst Texas running their option attack, which opened up PA passes.

The option doesn't work anymore. You're a bad fan, too.

Texas A&M seemed to have some success aginst Texas running their option attack, which opened up PA passes.

Yet they still lost. :thumbs

I love the option as much as the next guy but what we were running in 02-03 wasn't that good. It was predictable.

Don't come back with the either has the last two years.

Am I the only one who thinks that Lord was the problem? Great athlete, poor decision maker and unbelievably predictable. Don't tell me the problems started in 2001. We ranked in the top 10 in scoring offense in 2000 and 2001. The two game we lost were to Colorado (wasn't an offensive problem) and to Miami (many considered this team one of the greatest ever, especially their defense. How many NFL starters were on that defense?)

Miami (many considered this team one of the greatest ever, especially their defense. How many NFL starters were on that defense?)

I think this is the game many people point to as when the NU option attack died. We looked slow compared to Miami. How many times did Crouch break through the line only to get caught by a LB or DB? He was one of the fastest ever at NU and he couldn't out run those guys. I know of at least two runs where I thought he was gone only to get caught. Maybe I'm crazy but this might be what the "option is dead" crowd is referring to. Speedy Defense vs power football. It was that way against OU that year as well. I know we won that game but it was due to a trick play not because of the option attack.

Miami (many considered this team one of the greatest ever, especially their defense. How many NFL starters were on that defense?)

I think this is the game many people point to as when the NU option attack died. We looked slow compared to Miami. How many times did Crouch break through the line only to get caught by a LB or DB? He was one of the fastest ever at NU and he couldn't out run those guys. I know of at least two runs where I thought he was gone only to get caught. Maybe I'm crazy but this might be what the "option is dead" crowd is referring to. Speedy Defense vs power football. It was that way against OU that year as well. I know we won that game but it was due to a trick play not because of the option attack.

We didn't win the OU game because of the trick play, that's how we iced it. I thought that was one of the best games Solich ever called. We played field position and tough defense and took what we were given. Again OU's defense that year was one of the better ones in the past 10-15 years.

And you can't compare our performance against perhaps the fastest defense ever as the sole reason why the option is dead. I don't think there's been a defense as talented or fast as Miami '01 since, and there probably won't be for a while. And the next person to put together a defense will probably win the NC no matter what offense their opponents run.

NU didn't run the option when Ferragamo played here, did we?

I don't remember. Could someone shed some light? I'll try to dig up info in the meantime.

One thing I did note was that Vince had about 20 more interceptions during his career than he did TD passes.

Don't know if this stat is "option" related or not.

NU didn't run the option when Ferragamo played here, did we?

I don't remember. Could someone shed some light? I'll try to dig up info in the meantime.

One thing I did note was that Vince had about 20 more interceptions during his career than he did TD passes.

Don't know if this stat is "option" related or not.

When Ferragamo played for the Huskers they still ran the passing/pro style offense that they ran when they won 2 championships in the early 70's. Osborne changed the offense in 79 I believe, to the triple option. He then won a huge recruiting battle over a QB prospect that was instrumental in taking the team to another level. Enter Turner Gill. :clap

We didn't win the OU game because of the trick play, that's how we iced it. I thought that was one of the best games Solich ever called. We played field position and tough defense and took what we were given. Again OU's defense that year was one of the better ones in the past 10-15 years.

And you can't compare our performance against perhaps the fastest defense ever as the sole reason why the option is dead. I don't think there's been a defense as talented or fast as Miami '01 since, and there probably won't be for a while. And the next person to put together a defense will probably win the NC no matter what offense their opponents run.

The option isn't dead. The problem is(as another poster had eluded to) that kids don't want to play it. They want to go some place that will get them to the pros. If NU would have Vince Young and Adrian Peterson running the option with a solid athletic line, I would pretty safely say that the offense would still work. It takes good blocking, solid running backs and a quarterback with good decision-making skills. If Lord was the best NU could do for 2 years, than that tells you one of two things; either he wasn't properly coached(which I doubt because his predecessors excelled) or he just wasn't all that good and would have been a back up behind a guy like gill, taylor, frazier, gadowski, frost and crouch. I think the problem is that Jammal Lord was the best that we had and he had to play, not that the offense he was trying to run didn't work anymore. As long as kids shy away from that offense to play for the glitz and glam of a pro-style/WCO offense, then it will be hard to run the triple option offense.