Colin Powell, George W. Bush's Secretary of State, Endorses Obama

LINK

Yesterday, Colin Powell endorsed Barack Obama for president, explaining that he believes the incumbent has done a good job on the economy given the situation he was handed. As a former secretary of state and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Powell also took serious issue with the foreign policy stances of Obama’s opponent, Mitt Romney, saying that ” I’m not quite sure which Governor Romney we would be getting with respect to foreign policy”:

“One day he has a certain strong view about staying in Afghanistan, but then on Monday night he agrees with the withdrawal. Same thing in Iraq. On almost every issue that was discussed on Monday night, Governor Romney agreed with the President with some nuances. But this is quite a different set of foreign policy views than he had earlier in the campaign. And my concern, which I’ve expressed previously in a public way, is that sometimes I don’t sense that he has thought through these issues as thoroughly as he should have, and he gets advice from his campaign staff that he then has to adjust to modify as he goes along.

Zero credibility for anyone (regardless of color) who endorses someone because of his race. As Powell did in 2008.

Yeah, figured someone would trot out that Republican derp. Here ya go:

LINK

Colin Powell's former chief of staff condemned the Republican Party on Friday night, telling MSNBC's Ed Schultz, "My party is full of racists."

Retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson made the comment in response to Mitt Romney campaign surrogate John Sununu's suggestion on Thursday that Powell's endorsement of President Barack Obama's re-election was motivated by race. Wilkerson, who served as Powell's chief of staff when the general was secretary of state during the first George W. Bush term, told Schultz that he respected Sununu "as a Republican, as a member of my party," but did not "have any respect for the integrity of the position that [sununu] seemed to codify."

Haha nice try trying to paint repubs as racist. Remember a few weeks ago when Stacey Dash (a African/Latino American) supported Romney and the backlash she endured. What was said about Colin Powell was non existent compared to Dems on Stacey Dash.

https://twitter.com/REALStaceyDash

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/therootdc/post/stacey-dash-supports-mitt-romney-gets-racial-backlash-on-twitter-not-all-blacks-must-be-democrats/2012/10/09/22f792b6-1229-11e2-be82-c3411b7680a9_blog.html

Wow, people are getting real testy, huh?

Colin Powell is a very respectable man who has given a life of service to this country. He endorsed Obama in 2008 (I actually watched the interview where he made the endorsement a few weeks ago) so it's not a huge surprise that he did so again. However, I do think his opinion bears a little bit of weight, coming from where he has. I think his concerns regarding foreign policy and Mitt Romney are poignant.

After nearly getting to the point of supporting Mitt Romney recently, I think I'm getting more to the point where I feel he is an outstanding salesman, with a lack of substance.

“Frankly, when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder if that's an endorsement based on issues, or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama.”

is the same as....." ‘You’re an unemployed black woman endorsing Mitt Romney. You’re voting against yourself thrice, you poor beautiful idiot.’ And somebody else just put, ‘Kill yourself, you old hag,'"

or "white with a dark tan.",

And those are some of the tamer ones. Regardless of who says it, its still unacceptable. Sometimes you can ask why someone switches political parties. And I think you should question the huge African American vote disparity in the last election. If the Caucasian american vote had more than 70% against Obama, I think it would be a rational discussion to have about racism against Obama. Problem is Obama won 95% of the African American vote in 2008, so its only rational to wonder if some people supported Obama based solely on his skin color.

Wow, people are getting real testy, huh?

Colin Powell is a very respectable man who has given a life of service to this country. He endorsed Obama in 2008 (I actually watched the interview where he made the endorsement a few weeks ago) so it's not a huge surprise that he did so again. However, I do think his opinion bears a little bit of weight, coming from where he has. I think his concerns regarding foreign policy and Mitt Romney are poignant.

After nearly getting to the point of supporting Mitt Romney recently, I think I'm getting more to the point where I feel he is an outstanding salesman, with a lack of substance.

Hope and Change.

“Frankly, when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder if that's an endorsement based on issues, or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama.”

is the same as....." ‘You’re an unemployed black woman endorsing Mitt Romney. You’re voting against yourself thrice, you poor beautiful idiot.’ And somebody else just put, ‘Kill yourself, you old hag,'"

or "white with a dark tan.",

And those are some of the tamer ones. Regardless of who says it, its still unacceptable. Sometimes you can ask why someone switches political parties. And I think you should question the huge African American vote disparity in the last election. If the Caucasian american vote had more than 70% against Obama, I think it would be a rational discussion to have about racism against Obama. Problem is Obama won 95% of the African American vote in 2008, so its only rational to wonder if some people supported Obama based solely on his skin color.

Are those quotes from some high-ranking member of the Obama campaign?

Yeah. I didn't think so. But thanks for playing.