Barnett Show

They have a show on Fox Sports RM called "Buffalo Stampede". I beleive its on again on Friday in the middle of the day, along with Big 12 Instant Replay and " Showcase.

I've never watched the Buffalo Stampede show before but it covers all CU sports and this week's started with an NU vs CU game review with Barney.

paraphrasing--

Host: "well, uh, we have to show the highlights of this one..."

Barney: "yeah... i know." <_<

On the personal foul that gave NU a 1st down on 3rd&10--

Barney says, as he did in the post-game, that the player didn't hear the whistle. He added, "I don't think anyone out there heard it". maybe except for the other 10 CU guys on the field who stopped on the play. and the 11 Husker players who stopped.

questioning my bias on it, I watched the replay of that over and over and was only more convinced that the player, hearing the whistle or not, knew the play had stopped and smacked Taylor anyway.

On the mysterious time clock at the end of the 1st half--

Barney said he's convinced you just can't get the ball snapped and spiked in less than 3 seconds. apparently Barnett and the refs are the only people who saw that game who believe there wasn't time for one more play. ESPN even made a comment about the quick stadium clock on Sportcenter, as did the ABC announcers. heck, even most of the CU fans at the game knew it! and i wouldn't be surprised if the refs knew they made the wrong call shortly at half time. but Barney, he's convinced.

On the CU fans

He said it was the the coaches' fault b/c, had they put up a better fight, the fans wouldn't have acted like idiots. he said you can't characterize the whole student body or the whole stadium full of CU fans by what a few idiots did. sure, absolutely, understood. except that this isn't exactly a first time incident for CU so... what's the excuse for why they've acted like @sses for years even before this game?

I can't remember where i read it but officials from the Big12 conference were in Boulder to hand out the North Division trophy to CU that day (everyone though CU had the Big12 wrapped up that weekend) and said they expected the refs to file a report about the time clock incident

expected the refs to file a report about the time clock incident

expected the refs to file it? so does that mean the refs blame the guy running stadium clock? that wouldn't be much for them to fall back on if time is (supposed to be) kept on the field. not that its exactly rare when Big 12 refs don't do their jobs right.

Those refs are damn lucky the potential three points weren't much of a factor at the end of the game. 33-3 would have been that much funnier.

were in Boulder to hand out the North Division trophy to CU

:lol:

but, they were probably waiting to give it to ISU as well. again.

apparently nobody really wanted that thing. now that CU has it, i hope they remember put the Nebraska score on there. :thumbs

just a note on the poor innocent player that didn't hear the whistle before he nailed Taylor...

He just got a similar penalty in the Big XII championship.

Young was down but the CU player (Alex Ligon) still took a couple additional steps before piling on the Texass QB.

whistle or no, he knew the play was over when he hit the QBs in both cases. but you would think the guy would have learned from last week.

I hadn't watched CU the rest of this season so I wonder if this guy just has a knack for nailing QBs when the play is over, or if these are just a couple isolated incidents 2 weeks in a row.

this too kind of goes along with the *Barnett is a jackass* theme, maybe that's what i should have titled the thread.

While walking to the locker rooms, Barnett apparently complained about NU running a no-huddle just before half despite being up by 17 points. (though i didn't see it personally b/c of a dying VCR)

Barnett has a knack for saying stupid things but what kind of BS is a comment like that?!

at halftime i was thinking, don't get comfy because this game ain't over yet! mainly because in the late 90s, NU would be way up in a game in Boulder and CU always found a way to crawl and claw back into it.

If Barnett wants to bitch and moan about 17 points with a whole half left to play, then maybe he needs a reminder of these games:

1997-- Nebraska was up 27-10 by the end of the 3rd quarter. 17 points with only 1 quarter left to play but even that was almost enough time for the Buffs. final score NU 27-24.

1999-- Huskers were up by 21 (24-3) at the half only to have a Barnett-coached CU team come back with a 24-point 4th quarter and nearly beat Nebraska on a last-second field goal. Final NU 33-30 in OT.

btw, if 17+ at halftime is running up the score- then what was the Texass game?!

:rollin

I watched the replay of that over and over and was only more convinced that the player, hearing the whistle or not, knew the play had stopped and smacked Taylor anyway.

IMO that flag is completely warranted because of what the player did. The ball was snapped and hit ZT in the stomach and then fell to the turf. If the player was really just continuing to play then wouldn't he have gone after the ball instead of hitting Taylor? The claim that the penalty was unjustified is so rediculous it could only have come from Colorado.