VIDEO: 1969 Sun Bowl Nebraska vs Georgia...the 1st meeting

Nothing to see here.....move along....move along....

I am glad you changed your helmet symbol. That NU wasn't cutting it.

Those were the days when Nebraska was on a plane with USC, Notre Dame, Alabama and of course your nemesis, Oklahoma. Georgia was just making a rise back into prominence after a dormant 1950s. Dooley had us playing at a high level, just not yet a Nebraska level.

Just think this team wasn't far removed from the 1971 "game of the century" team.

I am not sure anyone wanted to be matched up with Nebraska in a bowl game back then or even up until the early nineties for that matter.

Bob Devaney's first 3 years were good ones. He then had two 6-4 years and there was some grumbling that maybe he couldn't recruit and had won with another coaches players. 1967 and 1968 about cost Bob his job. The "67 losses were all close and 3 of the 4 losses in 68 were close but we were blown out by Okla 47-0. In "69 we started the season 2-2 with losses to USC and Missouri. The Huskers finished strong however beating Okla 44-14 in Norman and ended with a win vs Georgia in El Paso 45-6. This win did propel the Huskers to an 11-0-1 record and the National Championship.

Mike Green the FB mentioned many times in the above video and Joe Orduna were also from Omaha. Didn't realize Larry Frost was from Malcomb Ne. Dana Stephenson was from Lincoln.

I believe even as late as 1969, Georgia was fielding an all-white team.

I watched this game and remember the added fun of putting a beat down on the racists.

now that sounds eerily similar to what I read over on mizzou's message board when they first got into the SEC. Don't be like that man.

Sorry Dawg, but it's a simple fact that Georgia was one of the last teams in the nation to integrate.

If you can come up with a better term for instituionalized segregation based on the inferiority and undesirability of another race, I'm all ears.

(fwiw.....that was 43 years ago. Times have changed. I'm not blaming you personally. But it was what it was)

• Fire 1

Six replays of a 37 yard field goal?

Paul Rogers, the game MVP, has 4 FG's in the 1st qtr.

In the days of the straight-on-toe-poke kickers, it was a big accomplisment.

With each made FG, I recap his previous made attempts.

The DVD of the entire game doesn't have the kick replays right on top of each other.

The radio is over about 2 hours 20 minutes long. The game film is only 35 minutes.

When putting these radio / film projects together, I try to let the radio audio run with minimal editing.

I have to stretch the video using techiniques like; replays, player photos, graphics and historical features.

I wish the film was better quality. The field being grass bare doesn't help.