The Big Priest? - Creighton Possible Candidate for New High Major

Nebula

So, just wanted to gauge the feelings of a potential big increase in national prestige with a move from the quaint but, let's face it, relatively marginal Valley. (When the Salukis were rolling, and N Iowa was stout and a few other teams were making real noise, the Valley was a legit conference. But it's been downhill for awhile now.)

From the outside looking in, this looks like an automatic acceptance. The opportunity to play the likes of Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, and a host of other established upper tier college basketball programs seems like a HUGE step up in how Creighton is defined as a national program. This seems like a chance to shed the b-side feel of the Jays, saddled with the "yeah, but who do they play?" caveat every year. You knock off #9 Georgetown in their barn (coming in at #19 or something) you're getting big coverage. One hell of a lot more than if you dumped 85 on Drake for an easy win. Nothing against the Vally, but this seems pretty exciting. Hell, I'M excited, and I'm definitely Nebraska basketball first.

FULL DISCLAIMER: It is literally impossible for me to care any less than I already do if you've got a problem with this, but I root for Creighton too. I go to all NU home games, I don't own any Jay gear...but they play out of my hometown, and bluntly, I've been rewarded for my loyalty to NU with decades of irrelevance. I wanna watch some games that matter, and if that means I'm rooting for Nate Funk to drain a three, then I'm doing that. I'm not rooting for Duke, Butler, or Kentucky. So I like Creighton, except for those two hours we play each other.

Mainly, I wanted to gauge the feel of Po and some other Creighton fans on this thing. Excited? Disappointed? Nervous?

If they stick at 10, you're prob out, correct? So need 12 teams, and then...maybe a sweeping change in your program with HUGE repercussions. So what are you guys hoping for? Personally, I think the GU's of the world will be shocked when they get to the Quest Current Sponsor Stadium. It's a legit facility. Word will trickle. And CU may start plucking some higher caliber athletes out of places they never had any presence in. Big deal. (IF it even happens.)

I am actually in the same boat as you, CU fan for 364 days a year. Nebraska comes first, but I have been to way more CU games considering that I live 5 mins away.

It is a no brainer if an invite comes for Creighton to join. A league like that puts Creighton into a nationally relevant league, unlike the Valley. It puts Creighton in the position to be a Xavier or a Marquette type program. It also aligns the university with other like minded very similar peers. I think it also would open up recruiting for basketball and maybe more importantly general students. Creighton would become more of a known name in prep schools through the Midwest and Northeast more than it is right now.

The only argument I have heard against a possible move is that Creighton goes from big fish in a small pond, Creighton is the best program with the best facilities with the best fan support in the best city in the league. To being in a much more competitive league where everyone else is in a bigger city.

If the Big Priest comes calling you accept if you are Creighton. The issue is that they will probably get left out. It sounds more and more like 10 is the final number and Creighton wont end up there.

Yeah...which would suck. I really, really hope they go for twelve and add Creighton. That would be big for the city, it really would. That's a nice arena, and there could be a solid buzz for those games.

If this doesn't happen, it's gonna be pretty annoying watching Creighton play Indiana State and even Wichita State. (Although, that is usually a pretty entertaining game I have to admit.)

I want to see Xavier, Marquette, all those types of teams coming through here. And yeah, you definitely have a good point about the big fish small pond deal, but I feel like joining a league like that would open the door for Creighton in new recruiting areas, and for some high caliber kids they wouldn't have been in the running for anyways.

I am actually in the same boat as you, CU fan for 364 days a year. Nebraska comes first, but I have been to way more CU games considering that I live 5 mins away.

It is a no brainer if an invite comes for Creighton to join. A league like that puts Creighton into a nationally relevant league, unlike the Valley. It puts Creighton in the position to be a Xavier or a Marquette type program. It also aligns the university with other like minded very similar peers. I think it also would open up recruiting for basketball and maybe more importantly general students. Creighton would become more of a known name in prep schools through the Midwest and Northeast more than it is right now.

The only argument I have heard against a possible move is that Creighton goes from big fish in a small pond, Creighton is the best program with the best facilities with the best fan support in the best city in the league. To being in a much more competitive league where everyone else is in a bigger city.

If the Big Priest comes calling you accept if you are Creighton. The issue is that they will probably get left out. It sounds more and more like 10 is the final number and Creighton wont end up there.

The only thing that would worry me right now is recruiting. If CU were to go to this league with the type of team we have this year, I think they would be able to compete well and hold their own. But they will not go to the league with this team, so McDermott is really going to have to recruit better. I agree with the bolded part above that it will open more recruiting grounds and more exposure, which should help recruiting in the long run.

But like Omaha said, its a no brainer. If they are invited, accept. If you've seen my posts on the new B1G expansion, Im more for sexy matchups than easy travel. Id rather have OSU and UM than Illinois and Minnesota in our division. Its the same for basketball, Id get more excited to play Georgetown and Marquette than I would Drake and Bradley. It would def. be an exciting move.

And just like you guys said you like CU when they aren't playing NU, I feel the same, just with opposite teams.

You make the move regardless of reservations, because the opportunity as a basketball-first, no-football school to improve your conference status when you're already in the MVC is rarely going to come along, and the opportunity to play with the likes of Georgetown, 'Nova, DePaul, and Marquette won't come along again.

Understand your concern about recruiting to keep up in the new conference, Po, but wouldn't being in that conference open Creighton up to a level of player they might have not had as good an opportunity to land before? And I would also think, playing those schools, that it might also open up some recruiting areas in the country that Creighton might not have been focused on before. Tend to think recruiting the better player becomes easier at that point.

Regardless, I hope this materializes for Creighton! As others here have said, I also root for Creighton except when they're playing the Huskers or UNO. Nice to see all three DI programs in the state make moves to better their positions in the college landscape within the last few years! I think this move can only boost Creighton's national reputation. Good luck, Jays, and I hope all works out!

Disclaimer: Nebraska Alum/Former Student Athlete---100% Nebraska Fan

If you are Creighton....you have to accept the invite. 1. Its a better situation than the Valley 2.Basketball-only conference 3. Looking down the road, this would be one of the best opportunites that I could think of (I don't see the B1G or Big XII calling anytime soon).

If that being said....Creighton needs to realize that I believe that they need the Conf more than the conf needs them.

Personally, I would like to see Creighton accept the invite (if it comes) just to see them play a Power 6 schedule.

Got to do it for basketball but it's really going to suck for the other sports in terms of travel and costs. Another reason they should do it is the future of the MVC itself. If you look at the Missouri Valley Football Conference....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Football_Conference

there is now a large overlap of schools in both the MVC and the football conference. If I was Creighton I would be concerned with the two becoming one once again, adding the Dakota schools and making a push for I-A status being a conference similar to the MAC or Sun Belt, with Creighton being the odd school out along with WSU with no football program. If TV and bowl money get involved, Creighton will be left out. It seems perfect timing for them to jump to a basketball conference and maximize TV profits themselves. I don't know what it is for numbers but the MVC can't be getting jack for TV money compared to what the Big Priest could from ESPN.

Another side note is if Creighton leaves, this could be the opportunity down the road for UNO to get football back and join the MVC, at least that is my dream scenario.

Got to do it for basketball but it's really going to suck for the other sports in terms of travel and costs. Another reason they should do it is the future of the MVC itself. If you look at the Missouri Valley Football Conference....

http://en.wikipedia....ball_Conference

there is now a large overlap of schools in both the MVC and the football conference. If I was Creighton I would be concerned with the two becoming one once again, adding the Dakota schools and making a push for I-A status being a conference similar to the MAC or Sun Belt, with Creighton being the odd school out along with WSU with no football program. If TV and bowl money get involved, Creighton will be left out. It seems perfect timing for them to jump to a basketball conference and maximize TV profits themselves. I don't know what it is for numbers but the MVC can't be getting jack for TV money compared to what the Big Priest could from ESPN.

Another side note is if Creighton leaves, this could be the opportunity down the road for UNO to get football back and join the MVC, at least that is my dream scenario.

There is no way the MVC is trying to go FBS. NDSU is the only team that would even have a shot a bowl eligibility, plus the Big Ten and MAC pretty much already own their geographic footprint.

On a completely unrelated note the two coaches of this game tonight have to be the tallest combined height of coaches ever. Greg McDermott is what 6'8"? Danny Manning 6'10".

Creighton looks lethargic and uninspired tonight from the opening tip off. Sloppy, sloppy game. I don't think they've hit a free throw yet..

Take that back, Doug just hit one