ESPN plays the race card again....

clyde40

In this "win win win, WIN RIGHT GOD DAMN NOW" society we live in, do they really truly believe that black coaches are not getting the jobs simply because they are black? Seriously, if they are qualified, they would get the damn job. Hell, I'm actually jealous. Most of 'em are probably still playing.

Did Andy Reid get fired in Philly because he's white? Or was it because he had Vick a black QB? Or maybe it was all Nick Foles fault because Andy gave him the starting job later in the season instead of Vick? Wait that would make Andy a racist because he played a white QB in front of a Vick. It just depends how far you want to over process it.

I pray that our nation eventually gets to the point where black and white ancestry makes about as much difference to people as German vs English ancestry does. I mean seriously, bosses, hire the best person for the job, period, and onlookers, don't second guess the boss's motives from a distance.

This sort of discussion (whether its NFL or whatever) is deeply unhelpful to race relations in this country. In reminds whites that in some cases, discrimination against them is encouraged, and it reinforces among minorities the idea that discrimination against them is still alive and well.

• Fire 1

Affirmative action has no place in today's society IMO. Black, White, Female, Male...The best qualified should get the job.

We're all Americans, we're all equal. IMO we wouldn't have minorities if we would quit classifying certain people into those categories.

AA is a sticky issue. We'll never stop classifying people. Are stereotypes good or bad? They're good--we as humans are cognitively lazy creatures, so we rely on stereotypes and heuristics to categorize individuals. They're bad when we take those stereotypes, those classifications to extreme levels, like all black people are lazy free loaders who don't work as hard as white people. That's simply not the case. So it is up to personnel managers (I/O psychologists, managers executives, owners, and the like) to develop tests that can accurately and significantly detect who will perform the best for their organization whose goals differ from organization to organization. Then those tests must not discriminate (which also varies according to law). But we are at a point where those tests don't discriminate, so AA shouldn't even be brought up in this matter.

the problem is less about race and more about networking. the nfl is an old boys club and there is a coaching carousel. it is natural for white people to affiliate with more white people and friends hire friends. i do not see this necessarily being a story, but as someone said above, minorities need to get some position and coordinator jobs. then they can start making those connections and bring in their own network. transitions just take time and minorities will work their way in. the unfortunate truth is that society moves slowly and the effects of an era, which was not that long ago, that allowed jim crow laws are still being overcome.

Update: On Sunday NFL countdown the reported that the NFL wants to upgrade the Rooney Rule. I can't stand affirmative action. There's a flyer in my dorm for a "minority only scholarship" isn't that racist? Heaven knows we couldn't ever have a "white only scholarship"

Yes, it is. But the people in charge think it's "good racism". Any type of racism is bullsh#t, I'd say.