New opponent

Troy will be an opponent 2006/2007 and possible Wyoming

Huskers to host Troy on Sept. 23

By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Dec 05, 2005 - 07:50:58 pm CST

Nebraska football schedules for 2006 and 2007 are progressing toward finality, bit by bit. Troy (Ala.) University officials announced Monday that the Trojans will play Nebraska next season in a non-conference game Sept. 23 at Memorial Stadium.

The only other game on Nebraska’s non-conference schedule next season is Sept. 16 at Southern Cal. The Huskers apparently are trying to schedule two additional non-league opponents for 2006.

Nebraska officials declined comment on scheduling matters Monday, saying they will release the full schedule only upon completion.

The Huskers’ 2007 schedule tentatively features home games against Nevada and Southern Cal sandwiched around a road test at Wake Forest.

Troy’s trip to Lincoln next September will follow road games against Florida State and Georgia Tech. In 2007, the Trojans play road games against Georgia, Florida and Arkansas.

Troy athletic director Steve Dennis said Monday that after 2006, no future games against Nebraska have been scheduled. The teams met in three consecutive seasons in Lincoln starting in 2001, the Huskers winning 42-14, 31-16 and 30-0.

“It’s an opportunity for our kids to play high-caliber teams,” Dennis said of Troy’s difficult non-conference schedule. “We’re trying to elevate the program.”

Dennis declined to say how much money Troy will receive for playing at Nebraska.

The Trojans finished 4-7 this season, including 3-4 in the Sun Belt Conference.

Meanwhile, Wyoming athletic director Gary Barta confirmed that Cowboy and Husker officials have discussed the possibility of future games. However, Wyoming’s non-conference schedule is filled in 2007, and next season the Cowboys have a non-conference contest scheduled at Virginia.

“We’ve had conversations with Nebraska,” Barta said. “But nothing more than that yet.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

Regardless of what folks say about our preseason schedule and playing in the Big XII north, next year's schedule will be as tough as anyone's in the nation when you include both teams in this year's national championship game on next year's slate. Here's hoping we finish off this year's season with another confidence building win.

Wyoming will be intersting. If I remember correctly, they have a pretty good coach, he will probably get a pretty good plan in store for NU.

Troy.....meh.

I agree. Another thing about Wyoming is they play tough. No, they don't always win, but they do play tough. People can say what they want about Troy and Wyoming, but having USC in pre-conference play, evens things out in my opinion. Yes they lose Leinert and Bush, but they will be plenty tough none the less. Texas will be similar to this year. I am glad we have a year to gel a little more.

:restore2

Anyone who watched Troy last year probably watched one heck of an exciting QB named DT McDowell. I don't know that he played this year because of grades I believe, but most Husker fans should remember the name. He was a Frank commit that de-committed once the Tank was fired and the new staff was named. I don't think he's on the team anymore, but he was a very exciting player.

In addition to Leinart and Bush the Trojans likely are going to lose LenDale White as well. I am also pretty sure that thier front four are mostly sr.s and are gone as well. USC will be a very different team in 2006, but still awfully danerous. Here's hoping John David Booty is chased around and hur by our more experienced blackshirts next year

I don't see why we keep playing this team (Troy / Troy State). They were a fill in game 2 yrs ago (after we played them 2 years in a row). It would be nice to have a team like Iowa or Colorado St. (or any team that is near us) that we could play every year. I am sure most teams around here don't wanna play us year in, year out, and I can't really blame them. Anyways, I guess I am glad it's a home game, another Saturday in Lincoln baby! :thumbs

Troy State?

Yep... beating Troy State sure is gonna get us high ratings.

Now if Pederson wanted to get on the graces of Husker fans that are not too enamoured with his performance so far... he'd get a game like Iowa on the schedule seeing that is something the fans would like to see happen. Plus you beat a team like Iowa and the nation starts taking notice. Right now we aren't even on the radar nationally except when something un-Nebraska like happens on our part.

You want order restored? Start scheduling a few more respectable opponents and take them to the woodshed. Its takes some to get some.