McKewon: Contact rules suggest a more cutthroat business

Sam does a good job of putting the new rules into perspective. I found the quote below particularly intriguing and feel that NU needs to hit a homerun in this department.

>> Recruiting support staff — who don't coach the players but serve in player personnel roles, setting up visits, creating prospect lists and the like — can evaluate film and identify prospects, and then contact players via phone, text, Facebook or Twitter. It also opens the door to the true in-house scouting departments and general managers in college football. Look for bigger-budget schools to target ex-players, high school coaches and even some small college coaches to put in their personnel department.

LINK

IF, NU does this correctly, it should help as we are one of the top 10 most profitable football programs in the country. If we do not throw money at the staff and set up some technological kingdom to constantly bombard the kids, we are screwed.

We do have TONS of high profile former players that we could send around to help recruit. Imagine a call from SUH or visit from Wistrom at your house, Ahman Green etc......

I can't say I necessarily like the fact that colleges can now have an entire staff dedicated to recruiting, but since it is going to be that way I hope Nebraska throws some money around and gets some high quality, highly touted recruiters. Let's get this going so we lead the way with how much this will benefit college athletics.

I can't say I necessarily like the fact that colleges can now have an entire staff dedicated to recruiting, but since it is going to be that way I hope Nebraska throws some money around and gets some high quality, highly touted recruiters. Let's get this going so we lead the way with how much this will benefit college athletics.

what has kept a school from having an entire staff dedicated to recruiting in the past though? is there any sort of rule that says we couldn't have 40 "scouts" on the payroll? i find it hard to believe that the NCAA could enforce some rule that says Joe Ganz is not able to review film of a recruit because he's not an "official" assistant. The only difference i'm seeing is that now those individuals will be able to contact recruits.

The current rule is Grad. Assistants can do all of the above mentioned duties. However they're not allowed to leave campus and recruit. The only face-to-face recruiting they can engage in is when a recruit visits campus, officially or unofficially.

What intrigues me about this new rule isn't so much the rule itself, because part of a Grad. Assistant's duty is recruiting among other things. So it's nothing new in that respect.

What it does is it allows NU to invest in people who specialize in scouting/recruiting. It'd be even better if they can find people who have no desire to coach. The "Moneyball" kinda guys that think outside the box. The unsung heroes of recruiting.

what has kept a school from having an entire staff dedicated to recruiting in the past though? is there any sort of rule that says we couldn't have 40 "scouts" on the payroll? i find it hard to believe that the NCAA could enforce some rule that says Joe Ganz is not able to review film of a recruit because he's not an "official" assistant. The only difference i'm seeing is that now those individuals will be able to contact recruits.

You're asking the wrong person on that one. I won't pretend to know everthing, I just assumed since the article was about that rule change, it was more strict on that before. That's my understanding.