Huskers Records and Streaks

TGHusker

I believe the "Dark Days" are over at NU. While we may bemoan a 4 loss season or laying defensive eggs as we have in recent years, I think NU has rebuilt were we can officially forget the BC years. We aren't where we want to be yet and there may still be some doubt if Bo can get us over the hump - (the next 2 years should tell us IMHO) - but I think the days of .500 and below is behind us. Thinking about this made me think back to the streaks that ended and those that remain. I wonder which one can we realistically recapture. With the infusion of TV money, it may be difficult to recapture many of these records as the current very strong programs may remain that way - I don't see Alabama, LSU, OSUt, OU fading anytime soon (outside of a horrific NCAA Violation - like PSU or a terrible coaching change like Michigan wt Rod... or NU wt BC) - it may be difficult for us to recapture some of our old streaks.

Here are some of the past and current streaks and my thoughts on if we can recapture them. You may think of other streaks:

What streak ending is the hardest to swallow? For me it was the 9 win season. A 6-6 team can get into a bowl game now. However, I think the 9 win bar should be moved up to 10 wins as a measurement of greatness. To me the other streaks to have meaning are bulilt on W-L. We will be in the top 25 and in bowls if we win at a high level.

NCAA record consecutive sell outs - Safe and will continue

Most Academic All Americans - safe and will continue

Consecutive wining seasons - I believe we had 40 ended wt Frank - 7-7 in 2002 - If you call 7-7 a wining season, then it ended wt BC 2 years later. We are building this again but will lag behind the recent strong programs until they faulter one by one.

Consecutive 9 win seasons - We had 33 ended wt Frank at 7-7 in 2002. Bo has proven he can win 9 games so our current new streak will continue.

Consecutive Bowl bids - We had 36 ended wt BC - doubt we lead the NCAA in this again

348 Weeks in a row in the AP top 25 a AP record - Ended wt Frank - We've been on razors edge with the top 25 - losing CCG and BG at the end of the season kind of hurts the rankings.

33 straight years ranked in AP (final Bowl) - ended wt Frank

Consecutive Bowl bids is by far the hardest for me to swallow, but I actually think that it is a streak that we could recapture to some extent, especially under Bo Pelini. Bo hasn't taken us to the promiseland yet, but you can't argue with his consistency. It is hard for me to even entertain the idea of not getting six wins in a season under Bo. We are Nebraska, so if we get six wins we will be going bowling....The most prideful streak, or it should be, from our (the fan's) perspective should be the sell-out streak. That streak means more to me, as a Husker fan, than most anything else about Nebraska football....

Consecutive Bowl bids is by far the hardest for me to swallow, but I actually think that it is a streak that we could recapture to some extent, especially under Bo Pelini. Bo hasn't taken us to the promiseland yet, but you can't argue with his consistency. It is hard for me to even entertain the idea of not getting six wins in a season under Bo. We are Nebraska, so if we get six wins we will be going bowling....The most prideful streak, or it should be, from our (the fan's) perspective should be the sell-out streak. That streak means more to me, as a Husker fan, than most anything else about Nebraska football....

I agree, if the sell out streak ends, it means passion has ended. That speaks of something terrible going on wt the program - (or a freak snow storm that kept eveyone away!!!). Actually the 2 streaks that continue - the sellout and the academic All- Americans speak the loudest about our program. It says we have built this program on passion, the love of the game and on academic integrity. No short cuts and no major NCAA violations. These streaks are ones we can be very proud of and I see continuing. The newly extended 92k seat stadium will be sold out as well.

I agree, if the sell out streak ends, it means passion has ended. That speaks of something terrible going on wt the program - (or a freak snow storm that kept eveyone away!!!). Actually the 2 streaks that continue - the sellout and the academic All- Americans speak the loudest about our program. It says we have built this program on passion, the love of the game and on academic integrity. No short cuts and no major NCAA violations. These streaks are ones we can be very proud of and I see continuing. The newly extended 92k seat stadium will be sold out as well.

No doubt.... Proud to be a Husker, and a Nebraskan....

Frank and Bill both lost to teams that hadnt beatin us in multiple decades. Missouri, Kansas St, and Ok St all ended 20+ year losing streaks to Nebraska under Solich. In fact, I think these streaks were actually pushing 30 years long if not there. Iowa St was back up to 9 straight when they won in 2002. Callahan lost to Kansas in '05 which ended a streak that was pushing, if not at, 30 years as well.

I'm actually more concerned that economical issues will end it before any lack of passion does. I'm nervous that at some point in time, the price of the #1 essentials such as food and fuel are gonna become too much to allow for the purchase of football tickets to be a priority. Of course, the economy seems to be on an upswing, so this could be a lot farther away than one would think, but you never know what tommorrow will bring.

Frank and Bill both lost to teams that hadnt beatin us in multiple decades. Missouri, Kansas St, and Ok St all ended 20+ year losing streaks to Nebraska under Solich. In fact, I think these streaks were actually pushing 30 years long if not there. Iowa St was back up to 9 straight when they won in 2002. Callahan lost to Kansas in '05 which ended a streak that was pushing, if not at, 30 years as well.

Yea, I didn't think of those streaks - those were equally painful and even more telling of the fall we had taken. To think how badly we got trounced by OSU Lite, Kansas and Mo during that period. I don't know what was worse being behind OSU at half time by 35-0 or losing to Kansas as bad as it was. Painful to think about it.

You may be write about the consecutive sell out streak as you noted on your other post. We did survive 2007-9 with it still going. But if prices for the tickets keep going up and prices for farm goods (which supports the economy around Lincoln and the state) keep going down while expenses (fuel and all things releated - fertilzer ) keep going up - we might reach that tipping point. Hope not.

I'm actually more concerned that economical issues will end it before any lack of passion does. I'm nervous that at some point in time, the price of the #1 essentials such as food and fuel are gonna become too much to allow for the purchase of football tickets to be a priority. Of course, the economy seems to be on an upswing, so this could be a lot farther away than one would think, but you never know what tommorrow will bring.

I wouldn't worry about that. Economics is all supply and demand. If there is a massive inflation of oil and food prices it is because there is also an inflation in salaries and the cost of the dollar has lowered