Big 12 north - Wide open.

HSKRNOKC

With the retirement of Bill Snyder and the apparent firing of Gary Barrnett, Callahan moves up the seniority chain among coaches in the north.

This is the perfect opportunity IMO for Callahan to step up and take control of the vulnerable north. Two of our biggest division rivals are going through a coaching change. Pinkle in Mizzou isn't on the steadiest of ground either.

The north is ripe for the taking next year. I hope that we are up to the challenge. If so it could be the beginning stages of ,"Restoring the order" to coin a phrase. :thumbs

With another solid recruiting class this winter, improvement in the spring and fall along with a year of experience, the Big Red will rise up to their rightful place a top the Big 12 North and truly restore the order.

I'm already looking forward to going down to Ames and watching the Huskers spank the clones and help reclaim the dominance of years past!

And lets remember that our best receiving threat - Herian - returns next fall to catch Taylor's passes.

GO BIG RED!!!

:restore2

CU may not be leaving the Big12. I wont be suprised if Pinkle is fired soon. Barnett is a Missouri Alum i believe and Missoouri would have to be crazy to pass up that chance to get him. Also with CU, KSU most likely to be struggling next year, Missouri having to play us at home without Brad Smith, and KU losing it's entire defensive starters basically and the majority of it's offense, it will come down to a NU/ISU showdown for which team will play in the Big12 title game.

With the retirement of Bill Snyder and the apparent firing of Gary Barrnett, Callahan moves up the seniority chain among coaches in the north.

This is the perfect opportunity IMO for Callahan to step up and take control of the vulnerable north. Two of our biggest division rivals are going through a coaching change. Pinkle in Mizzou isn't on the steadiest of ground either.

The north is ripe for the taking next year. I hope that we are up to the challenge. If so it could be the beginning stages of ,"Restoring the order" to coin a phrase. :thumbs

ISU should win it next year but then again they should of the last 2 years aswell. Any way you look at it the north is plain pitiful and its embarrassing we can't win it as horrible as it is.

ISU should win it next year but then again they should of the last 2 years aswell.

"The real big red" will probably just choke again. :thumbs

Any way you look at it the north is plain pitiful and its embarrassing we can't win it as horrible as it is.
Yea, we should just switch conferences

My Big XII North opinions. (for 2006)

Nebraska - Gaining groud day by day. Will dominate yr. in yr. out!!

Iowa St. - Same team as the past 4 yrs. Moble QB, but will never win the big one.

Kansas St. - New coach, new scheme?? Might take some time down in the 'lil apple.

Kansas - Don't see them making a run anytime soon.

Mizzou - Blah

Colorado - Blah

Short but sweet.

I would have to say that ISU would be the "favorite" (at this point) to win the North, with NU a close 2nd. I think that this division will probably be weaker than it was this year however, and with the way ISU has "handled" its business, NU could pull this one out by default.

ISU is the favorite at this point because of what? Both NU and ISU beat Colorado and scored the same amount of points on them. Both NU and ISU lost to Missouri in Columbia. Both lost to Kansas in Lawrence. NU beat Baylor on the road, ISU lost to them at home. Both teams played a DIV-AA team to begin the season. Both teams had a 3 game losing skid this season

The most important one is NU beat ISU this year. Your "point" would be logical if you had something to back it up with. Please provide reasons as to why ISU would be the favorite at this point

The most important one is NU beat ISU this year.

Barely, and only by a dropped ball. Besides, ISU gets NU in Ames which is huge, cause NU hasnt fared too well in the past couple of meetings there. NU seems to have problems on the road the past 2 years, also.

Please provide reasons as to why ISU would be the favorite at this point

Last I checked (and Im not real familiar with ISU) they should have alot of their offensive firepower back next year, and they have a better coaching staff. From what I have heard from alot of "media types" they are considered to be one of the frontrunners next year.

Im not saying that they will win it, its way too early to tell, need to see schedules, how the year plays out, etc. Im just saying that ISU and NU are probably neck and neck at this point, with an early slight advantage IMO to ISU to win the North.

Wow FF, when you post, you never do bother to do research. Here's a little research for ya when it comes to ISU's Big12 schedule next year.

Sept. 2 EASTERN MICHIGAN

Sept. 9 UNLV

Sept. 16 at Iowa

Sept. 23 at Texas

Sept. 30 NORTHERN IOWA

Oct. 7 NEBRASKA

Oct. 14 at Oklahoma

Oct. 21 TEXAS TECH

Oct. 28 at Kansas State

Nov. 4 KANSAS

Nov. 11 at Colorado

Nov. 18 MISSOURI

*Home games in Capitol letters, road games in bold

Lets see, looking at that, they have guranteed losses to Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Texas to start off with. Nebraska is another loss. CU, KSU are tossups untill we see what kinda offense they run or even who CU hires. Missouri and Kansas are likely wins (maybe) for them unless Pinkle is fired and someone else comes in, then even then, that's not a guranteed win.

Barely, and only by a dropped ball

Doesn't matter if you win by a blocked field goal, a punt/kickoff return for a touchdown, or a 2 point conversion. It doesn't matter if NU won by 1 point or 30 points. A win is a win and all that matters is a W in the win column because that's ALL that matters.

ISU gets NU in Ames which is huge, cause NU hasnt fared too well in the past couple of meetings there

What does next year have to do with now? You said "AT THIS POINT". At this point doesn't mean next year. It means NOW. If you want to use the next year argument, next time make sure you post it. And by the way, how solich played against ISU in 2002 has nothing to do with Callahan. Callahan is 0-1 against Iowa St in Ames and that was with a QB who shouldn't have even been a QB. If you want to hold that against Callahan because his hands are tied, go for it, but we all know Zac Taylor would rip ISU a new one if they played right now.

they should have alot of their offensive firepower back next year,

A team needs offense and defense to win games. They lose pretty much their whole defense if not all of them (if the other 3 go to the Draft)

1. SS Nik Moser, Sr.

2. FS Steve Paris, Sr.

3. CB LeMarcus Hicks Sr.

4. DT Brent Curvey, Sr.

5. NT Nick Leaders, Sr.

6. LB Tim Dobbins, Sr.

7. LB Jammar Buchanan Sr.

8. DE Cephus Johnson Sr.

They do return everyone on the offense except OG Pence to graduation (assuming no one else goes to the draft).

and they have a better coaching staff

They do? The one that lost to Baylor at home or the one that lost to Nebraska on the road? The one that lost the same games and won the same games that both teams played (with the exception of Baylor). If Iowa St's coaching staff is better, PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW . Is it in terms of recruiting (doubtful). Is it in terms of record on the road against Big12 teams (doubtful since ISU only has 1 more Big12 road win on the road compared to Nebraska since Callahan was hired). So what is it Formerfan, please entertain the board with an explaination of what slight edge it is ISU has that NU lacks. This is the second time i am asking you to explain how and i am guessing you will not provide any info to back up your claim other then providing an opinion. We all know what opinions are like.

ISU should win it next year but then again they should of the last 2 years aswell. Any way you look at it the north is plain pitiful and its embarrassing we can't win it as horrible as it is.

North is quite pitiful, but I'm not going to feel any remorse or guilt when we take the title next year.

ISU could have won the north division the last two years if they could have finished with a win. Granted a weak weak north. They couldn't finish the deal. I don't think that next year will be any different. The ISU game will be important for us to win.

I agree with nameless in the fact that their defense will not be as good because of the players being lost. Their offense should be decent. I think it is very winnable.

Other than ISU ,the rest of the teams in the north are definently NOT up to snuff. With the coaching turnover, it may be a couple years before there is more strength in our division.