How games changed. When I raided in EQ going in with less than 40 for most stuff was suicide, and many you needed just about the full 72. And done only with game chat, no voice chat yet. Tried some multi group WoW stuff, and the encounter was easier, but getting people to operate smoothly as a unit was almost impossible. Even with voice chat.

I can't imagine those runs in EQ back in the day.

Only reason we did ok in WoW with my 10 man group, because it was essentially the same core of 7 or 8 of us every week, only switching out 2 or 3 people...

The raids were the most fun I ever had in EQ and more memorable than most every other part of my MMO gaming in general.

How it worked for my guild, and we were a bit different than most raiding guilds, was we had a core of about 30 people who were always there, and would be officers and class leaders, who were almost always there for raid time (it was scheduled) and the other 40 or so came from about 100-150 other people who were available. I know many other guilds operated with only about 80 people and expected members to be there every single time, or else. We were not that rigid.

What made it work was command structure, and people who consistently could not follow directions would get bounced from the guild, or more often not pass the probationary period. And with EQ getting kicked from a raid guild could be the end of your raiding in the game, ever, Chars took a lot of time to get to the point to even join a raiding guild. And there was actually more of a community at the high end than in any of the other MMO's I have ever played. Raiding guild leadership would check with other guilds about applicants. And getting kicked from a guild could mean a total blackball from all guilds depending on what the reason. Even a server transfer might not help, as there was cross server chat, or they would just hit the guild's website. Unlike any other MMO I have played, where you can get a char to the 'endgame' levels in a couple weeks if you try hard, if you had to remake yourself in EQ, you were looking at literally months to get back. Led to fewer jackasses. And people who actually knew hot to play their char.

How games changed. When I raided in EQ going in with less than 40 for most stuff was suicide, and many you needed just about the full 72. And done only with game chat, no voice chat yet. Tried some multi group WoW stuff, and the encounter was easier, but getting people to operate smoothly as a unit was almost impossible. Even with voice chat.

Only reason we did ok in WoW with my 10 man group, because it was essentially the same core of 7 or 8 of us every week, only switching out 2 or 3 people...

The raids were the most fun I ever had in EQ and more memorable than most every other part of my MMO gaming in general.

How it worked for my guild, and we were a bit different than most raiding guilds, was we had a core of about 30 people who were always there, and would be officers and class leaders, who were almost always there for raid time (it was scheduled) and the other 40 or so came from about 100-150 other people who were available. I know many other guilds operated with only about 80 people and expected members to be there every single time, or else. We were not that rigid.

What made it work was command structure, and people who consistently could not follow directions would get bounced from the guild, or more often not pass the probationary period. And with EQ getting kicked from a raid guild could be the end of your raiding in the game, ever, Chars took a lot of time to get to the point to even join a raiding guild. And there was actually more of a community at the high end than in any of the other MMO's I have ever played. Raiding guild leadership would check with other guilds about applicants. And getting kicked from a guild could mean a total blackball from all guilds depending on what the reason. Even a server transfer might not help, as there was cross server chat, or they would just hit the guild's website. Unlike any other MMO I have played, where you can get a char to the 'endgame' levels in a couple weeks if you try hard, if you had to remake yourself in EQ, you were looking at literally months to get back. Led to fewer jackasses. And people who actually knew hot to play their char.

Sounds like what we were doing, only on a larger scale...

We also had defined roles, I was always tanking, and we had two blonde chicks healing (how we never died on a constant basis is beyond me) and my friends we're the dps....

Sounds like what we were doing, only on a larger scale...

We also had defined roles, I was always tanking, and we had two blonde chicks healing (how we never died on a constant basis is beyond me) and my friends we're the dps....

Yeah, well defined roles. Each major mob had a designated tank, with a couple 'trash mob' tanks as needed. The healers had their own channel to manage the main tank. The plan would usually be to have Complete Heal landing on the tank at set intervals, with 'blast healing' in between. Setting up the timing on a 10 sec cast spell was paramount usually. Everyone would have a hotkey designated with the right assist commands. Tanks had to make sure to position boss mobs, as melee attacks would 'push' everything, the tank had to make sure to keep everything in range of the healers and casters, or just out of other agro areas. Trying to get WoW tanks to understand the concept of 'cornering' a mob was a nightmare.

When I played WoW it was mainly with 2 or 3 actual friends. We spend a lot of time 3-manning dungeons. Only ran a couple of raids there, and they ended up a mess. Get used to running with a tight team that functions well and anything else ends up painful. Weather its 3 other guys, or a 72 man group.

• 3 weeks later...

New demo video of the game.

http://www.gamespot....s-demo-6405664/

After watching about 2 minutes it i know it will already fail. people want to create their own characters not have hundreds of the same people running around.

Maybe, maybe not. Looks less like a true MMO to me, and more like a more multiplayer focused Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Yeah, I'm about two minutes in, and two things jumped out...

A) I hope it looks better than that

B) I don't necessarily want to play as my favorite marvel hero

I can see the suck coming...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the invite to the closed beta today... I'll be checking it out this weekend...

Let us know how it is, when you can anyway. NDA's and whatnot...

Will do, I'll be installing it tomorrow, and playing on Saturday...

I'll do my best to give you guys a full run down...

NDA? Non disclosure agreement?

I just got the invite to the closed beta today... I'll be checking it out this weekend...

Yeah, some Beta's I have been in before had NDA's attached, they didn't want people talking ahead of the full open beta. No idea if this is the case with this game though.

Yeah, some Beta's I have been in before had NDA's attached, they didn't want people talking ahead of the full open beta. No idea if this is the case with this game though.

Yea, had to click on a NDA, but that doesn't mean I won't be giving you guys the scoop...

Beta's only open 3 days a week which I found weird. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and tomorrow it's only open from 11a to 7p...

I just played for 45 minutes, and holy sh*t was that disappointing.

You can't make you're own guy, which was I thought was apart of the game, which is kinda lame. You can't jump. I mean, what the f*ck, you can't jump? The movement is not your standard W to go forward, but all mouse directional based, which makes combat kinda crappy since when you click the hot key to attack, it will make you move to a point. You have to use microtransactions to unlock the other Marvel characters.

It's going to be a system hog.

Overall, if you want to try it, prepare to be let down...