DE Ben Martin

DJR313

Alot of S&C? Someone earlier mentioned to me that he did 26 reps at 185lbs. before the year was over. Heck, his bench max is already 325lbs. and squat is over 500lbs. and his frame isn't completely filled out yet.

If he plays TE (like has been rumored) I don't see how he is that far off, personally.

Now if he is playing guard....

This guy will never see the light of day at TE, i can promise you that much

hello, martin excelled as a o & d lineman in hs, but he has does not have the body weight or muscle right now to compete, yet - yet he does have the speed, which maybe it is just me but I think that blake is looking at dt's w/ speed to make the angles on & bring down rb's & especially qb's, which cryer, suh, jensen, johnson, & ola have w/ 40 x's under 4.9 - martin fits that w/ a 4.8 - maybe, I am wrong but it seems to be a trend w/ the dt's, who have been recruited the last 2 yrs

what say you?

But, this is the staff that is set (as of now) to have 6 scholly qbs next year and 1 (possibly 2) scholly Safety :wacko:

It can't be because most of the best athletes in high schools play positions like RB, QB and DB? Nah. But yea, you're right, OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH 6 QB'S LOLZ!!!!1

As someone else put it, there are position players and then there are football players.

Not sure if anyone posted this,but Ben may be inline for a academic scholarship. So we wouldn't have to take away from our football scholarships that we have left.

There's still options for Ben. He is eligible for an academic scholarship so that's why i eluded to the fact he could greyshirt his first season and then pick up a football scholarship the following year. Usually guys who end up greyshirtting are eligible for academic scholarships. There's no reason for Ben to turn down a full ride at Colorado St just to play for Nebraska unless he had something already backed up. The only thing is, the majority of the academic scholarships don't cover all expenses (some don't include housing), so it's not like he will have a problem with housing since he's local.

Kinda a weird recruit with the few schollies we have left to give.

:yeah

Deep at DE, with huge holes at OL and DB, and supposedly Clayborn has been turned away :wtf

But, this is the staff that is set (as of now) to have 6 scholly qbs next year and 1 (possibly 2) scholly Safety :wacko:

Clayborn can play DE or LB, but we are VERY deep at both positions, so turning him away (assuming he was but i haven't heard anything about turning him away) isn't a big deal. Right now, this is how the class will up with the remaining scholarships

2 safties (A.J Wallace,Ashlee Palmer, Jonas Mouton, Ricky Thenarse)

2 CB's (Greg Davis, Sheerace Wright)

1 OT (Bruce campbell, Russell Okung, or Keith Williams)

1 DT (J.B Walton, Charles Deas)

1 WR (Jeremy Maclin, Mo Purify, Chris Mitchell)

Of course we got Sir Aarson Mason coming in for OT as well so that's another option (although the coaches STRONGLY want a high school kid). Ron Paulo's visit will likely be cancelled because we don't really have a need for his position. NU could very well close out the class by next weekend (with the exeption of 2, maybe 3 guys who commit at the AA game). If we have 21 commits by next weekend, NU will begin working on the the 2007 class)

hello, I think that people are a little too concerned w/ the amount of stars that a prospect gets which is too bad, because I have heard only great things today about martin's prospects at UN from those that know him or have seen him play on the line at lin sw

if you compare martin to two 3 star lineman - one of a yr ago, & the other is a prospect this yr - you can see there is not a lot of difference in their size:

martin 6'4", 250 (present lbs - 232 was camp lbs), 4.8 **

hickman 6'4", 244, 5 ***

okung 6'5", 250 ***

the only real difference is the additional star, & people's attitudes in accepting a *** instead of a ** - then again, hickman & okung are from ca & tx, which can give a prospect a little more exposure, & interest draw because of the amount of schools, universities, football camps, newspapers, ect...you name it, in those states

maybe people are upset w/ the verbal of martin, because they want immediate help on the oline, but that help is not going to come from this yrs hs ol recruits - it will be coming from last yrs rs olinemen (jones may play, but the rest of the hs ol's will rs - & martin may gs - so what is the big deal w/ martin verballing? - the same thing happened w/ hickman last yr & it did not seem to bother people this much - plus, if he gs then he would not count against this yrs class anyway)

p.s. as for west & young UN needs s & they fill that need (& UN will probably get verbals from 2 more s - hopefully palmer & davis)