I just bought iTunes match to make it easier to access our music. Even with home sharing on not all the devices had the same music on them and it was getting annoying so this sounded like the perfect answer to our problem. I downloaded iTunes match and my music library went from 1,091 songs to 93..........................the 93 are the ones I just recently purchased! I can't find the other songs anywhere and I'm so pissed right now I could smash my computer. Now at one point I had a different iTunes account, but that one was hacked so I opened a new one and merged the playlists. I don't know if those are the songs that disappeared, but I didn't get some of the songs back I purchased from iTunes and none of the CD's that I ripped onto iTunes got transferred over. That's a lot of time/work to rip those CD's if you've never done it. Anyone got any ideas? I put this here in the BS forum so it would get more views. This is going to be expensive to replace if I have to replace all the songs..............

I've never had to do this but I think it should work. If you had all your songs backed up to an external source (like you should do), can you simply re-acquire them from your backup? If you didn't create backups, I apologize for bringing it up. And, I am not sure if songs ripped from CD's would be backed up like purchases are. I am however going to check mine tonight because, as you stated, re-ripping 1000+/- songs would take some serious time.

Also, I assume there should be a way to prove to iTunes that you have purchased those songs and hopefully forego having to re-purchase same songs. That would really suck. Sorry if my answers are just obvious things that you've already tried. Good luck.

So I got lucky today..............I bought our current computer sometime in the fall because our old one seemed to have a fried hard drive. It just wouldn't come on and I tried everything at the time to try and get it going. I got nothing so I finally had to go and buy our current computer as a replacement. I lost all my documents and pictures of my kids with that computer. So I decided today, "screw it, I have nothing to lose by trying to fire that POS up!" So I went downstairs, plugged the old laptop in, fired it up and I'll be damned if it didn't work!? So I was able to get all my pictures off of it and save those to discs.

I was able to get my entire playlist back onto my iPhone and my wife's iPhone for now. I'm going to try my iPod later and get it on there. I shut that ****ing POS iTunes match off because I want nothing to do with it and told our phones to back-up to iCloud so I hopefully avoid this mess in the future if I lose my computer to failure. Once I'm done updating my iPod, it'll hold everything cause it has the most memory you can get, I'm going to burn the purchased songs from that iTunes onto discs so I at least have the things I've purchased in the past and everything I've currently purchased should be saved in the iCloud. iTunes on my current computer said I had only purchased 93 songs.............iTunes on my old computer said I had purchased almost 400 songs! That's approximately $600.00 in songs that iTunes on my new computer expected me to eat apparently.

I'm going to try and get my money back for this stupid iTunes match and the albums I purchased yesterday as I thought I had lost those. If not, it's bye-bye Apple and I'll go to the android system and hate Apple forever. My last back-up disks I found for my iTunes was from 2008.............needless to say, that's my fault and that won't be happening again!

Hey BRI..

Any chance of you pulling your Hard Drive from your old machine and installing it in your newer computer as a secondary HD? Or even turn it into an external Hard Drive by getting a $20 case on ebay to encase it? I did that once with a HD I wasn't using and now just use it to back up stuff (Not nearly often enough)..I was also able to save some of the old pictures off the old HD that way and might work for you.

I've not tried iTunes yet, probably because of the songs I borrowed from LimeWire ended up hurting my ears because I was raised by angry audiophiles..

But I asked my young Son, "the expert"...Here is his very first post on HuskerBoard:

put all of your music onto a CD and put the CD in the computer while having iTunes open and you should be able to rip the songs to iTunes.