New B1G Fanbases: What to expect

Does anyone have experience attending or playing Rutgers or Maryland Games? What is the character of their fans?

Some assumptions on my part:

1) East Coast and Middle Atlantic fans tend to be very critical at games, booing and cursing at both opponents and their own team. (there are some of these fans everywhere, of course)

2) There is much more passion for basketball than football (obviously they are better at it)

3) Games with B1G schools will lack much of the acrimony and hatred that go along with rivalries, thus making them pretty vanilla in the first few years (like Nebraska's last two seasons)

4) Penn State will be the only team with much history playing them.

5) Like other B1G schools, Rutgers and Maryland are large, old, and have good academic reps. This should equate to large and educated alumni bases. = potential sleeping giants fan-wise.

Am I making an ASS of U and ME in ASSUME-ing?

(1) can't really speak to the college game too much, but at DC Nationals game it doesn't seem to be an issue (Philly fans certainly make one think that's the way it is, though)

(2) Maryland yes, Rutgers?

(3) True (other than PSU and Maryland perhaps, even though PSU owns the record b/t the two 35-1-1 according to Wiki, still a bit of rivalry action there)

(4) See (3)

(5) I think Rutgers truly is a sleeping giant, they just need the right shot in the arm, perhaps the B1G is what does it, who knows (not so sure about Maryland)

Maryland has a pretty average fanbase. Unless they win big. Then they have a riot.

edit: The link is to a basketball riot. Hasn't been a reason for a Maryland football riot since midway through the Friedgen era.

(1) can't really speak to the college game too much, but at DC Nationals game it doesn't seem to be an issue (Philly fans certainly make one think that's the way it is, though)

(2) Maryland yes, Rutgers?

(3) True (other than PSU and Maryland perhaps, even though PSU owns the record b/t the two 35-1-1 according to Wiki, still a bit of rivalry action there)

(4) See (3)

(5) I think Rutgers truly is a sleeping giant, they just need the right shot in the arm, perhaps the B1G is what does it, who knows (not so sure about Maryland)

Yes, I guess I was thinking mostly of the Philly fans, who have that rep...

and Beaver Stadium http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1227396-college-football-rankings-10-worst-stadiums-for-away-fans-to-visit/page/7

and The obscene chants back in 07 at the Rutgers-Navy game.

that's fine, though. We're used to entire student sections that throw garbage on the field and get ejected from the game (see Colorado)

Better than these guys.

Nice. From a brief google search it seems like there have been many such incidents when tOSU has visited "Happy" Valley. I think I remember stories of harassment when NU played there in 02 or 03 as well.

Penn State seems to combine the rudeness of the Philladelphia/New York area with the agressive fan mentality found in Appalachia (WVU and VA Tech also have nice reputations as such) A perfect storm of sorts.

Maryland fans suck. Period.

Do they suck because they don't support their team?

Are they rude and obnoxious to others?

Do they really like their Slurpies?

They support their team.

Extremely rude. I worked on the sidelines when at Clemson and we were constantly the target of batteries, oranges and many other objects.