WSJ article on how screwed up our health care system is

Frankly, what we had before was better than what we have now because it didn't put our entire system on the trajectory to collapse.

I think you have that backwards.

1. Force hospitals and other medical providers to publicize procedure costs. Competition there would work wonders.

Agreed! And maybe some sort of mechanism that rewards good outcomes?

2. Allow insurance companies to compete nationally instead of on a state-by-state basis (do you think BCBS's monopoly in Nebraska is good for affordability?)

Sure! Some type of insurance marketplace sounds good.

3. Tort reform, including loser pays laws, and aggressive caps on medical malpractice lawsuit awards.

Red herring. Malpractice insurance is expensive because there is a shocking amount of malpractice. The vast majority of patients with valid claims don't file a lawsuit.

4. Use the tax system to encourage high deductible plans over low deductible plans.

Why?

Red herring. Malpractice insurance is expensive because there is a shocking amount of malpractice. The vast majority of patients with valid claims don't file a lawsuit.

The CBO estimated in 2009 that comprehensive tort reform would save the healthcare system about $11 billion a year. We all agree (I assume) that healthcare costs in this country are out of control, why oppose this?

4. Use the tax system to encourage high deductible plans over low deductible plans.

Why?

Again, healthcare costs are far too high in this country. A big reason for that is people don't actually see the money leaving their pockets, so they don't act like a rational custodian of health care dollars when deciding whether to undergo Treatment X or Test Y. Breaking down the barrier between the patient and the expenses they incur (except for select preventative procedures) is a key to controlling healthcare spending.

Medicaid....

You said "insurance companies."

I'll just fold this into this post to reduce clutter. Medicaid is the fallback should some debilitating event occur while one is not covered and cannot be covered, that's all I meant by that. I'll also add that I'm not even talking about myself ---my employer insures me--- but young people indisputably get screwed by the law, and it's widely expected that they will resist joining in large numbers because of the math we just went over.

Health insurance should be for catastrophic illnesses. WAY too many people rush off to the doctor for every single little runny nose. I've personally seen that in our plan when we went to a high deductible plan. Sad thing is, our new health care plan won't allow us to have the high deductible plan anymore.

We also see this in how people live their lives. Many people would change how they live their lives if they actually had to financially pay for the consequences of their actions. Live healthier, and in general, your health care bills will be lower.

People really don't have a clue. Part of that is the health care system's fault and part of that is the patient's fault.

The CBO estimated in 2009 that comprehensive tort reform would save the healthcare system about $11 billion a year. We all agree (I assume) that healthcare costs in this country are out of control, why oppose this?

Because victims of malpractice deserve a remedy. $11 billion? How does that compare to total health care spending? :hmmph

Again, healthcare costs are far too high in this country. A big reason for that is people don't actually see the money leaving their pockets, so they don't act like a rational custodian of health care dollars when deciding whether to undergo Treatment X or Test Y. Breaking down the barrier between the patient and the expenses they incur (except for select preventative procedures) is a one key to controlling healthcare spending.

Maybe. Or it could lead to widespread adoption of really crappy insurance.

I'll just fold this into this post to reduce clutter. Medicaid is the fallback should some debilitating event occur while one is not covered and cannot be covered, that's all I meant by that. I'll also add that I'm not even talking about myself ---my employer insures me--- but young people indisputably get screwed by the law, and it's widely expected that they will resist joining in large numbers because of the math we just went over.

So your fallback is falling into poverty to get coverage? That's . . . something.

Because victims of malpractice deserve a remedy. $11 billion? How does that compare to total health care spending?

Maybe more people would file claims if lawyers didn't take such a large part of the pot at the end.

So your fallback is falling into poverty to get coverage? That's . . . something.

For <8 months? Sure. Tens of millions have already made that decision *without* the promise guaranteed insurance waiting for them should something happen. I'm not interested in whether foregoing insurance is a good or bad idea, but whether enough young people would think it's a good idea. The evidence suggests that they're going to forego insurance under ObamaCare, imperiling the entire racket.

Luke, man, you can just google Obamacare and learn all about it and what it's *supposed* to do. It's not inherently broken; however it is severely handicapped because the GOP doesn't understand basic logic. Like I said, it's step one towards a more comprehensive and effective plan. This isn't going to happen overnight.

• Fire 2

Luke, man, you can just google Obamacare and learn all about it and what it's *supposed* to do. It's not inherently broken; however it is severely handicapped because the GOP doesn't understand basic logic. Like I said, it's step one towards a more comprehensive and effective plan. This isn't going to happen overnight.

What, exactly, does the GOP have to do with ObamaCare. I don't seem to recall any Republicans voting for it.

What, exactly, does the GOP have to do with ObamaCare. I don't seem to recall any Republicans voting for it.

They definitely have voted against it. 40 times. I would think they least they could do is present an alternative. I won't even ask for a viable alternative... just any alternative would do.

They've also threatened to shut down the government if Obama doesn't defund it. Surely you can see how they are working to prevent it's successful implementation.

They definitely have voted against it. 40 times. I would think they least they could do is present an alternative. I won't even ask for a viable alternative... just any alternative would do.

They've also threatened to shut down the government if Obama doesn't defund it. Surely you can see how they are working to prevent it's successful implementation.

And what does any of that have to do with the law as passed?

Everything from refusing to make the necessary changes to Medicare and Medicaid and refusing to set up insurance systems, spreading disinformation and blatant lies about the way it works (your rates will all go up and we'll all be screwed! - that type of stuff), refusing to supply funding, you name it

Like I said it isn't just one neat little bill that gets passed and, oh, we're done! Obamacare is now in place! ...no there are tons of moving parts that can be attacked to make the machine go from Formula 1 car to 1983 Buick pretty quick

• Fire 4

Might I add that the GOP is insistent upon repealing it, what with their massive waste of time calling for 40-some repeal votes in the house or whatever the count is up to now. I know it's over 35. They'll refuse to cooperate in making the necessary improvements and adjustments that are going to need to be done going forward in the name of trying their damnedest to get rid of it altogether, all because of typical partisan bickering and blah blah blah

• Fire 3

Everything from refusing to make the necessary changes to Medicare and Medicaid and refusing to set up insurance systems, spreading disinformation and blatant lies about the way it works (your rates will all go up and we'll all be screwed! - that type of stuff), refusing to supply funding, you name it

Like I said it isn't just one neat little bill that gets passed and, oh, we're done! Obamacare is now in place! ...no there are tons of moving parts that can be attacked to make the machine go from Formula 1 car to 1983 Buick pretty quick

Ummm....my expenses are going up because of Obamacare.