Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

...and our defense gave up 28 plays of 10 yards or longer (good for dead last in the nation). That spanned far more than the last 5 minutes.

And they gave up a school record 35 first downs over the course of the game.

In spite of all that, we held them to 21 points until the team lost focus/melt down (last 5 minutes) whatever excuse we want to use. Fact is, if you dont look at the numbers (just for a second) and watch how the game unfolds it tells a different story than just strictly looking at the numbers, which i agree are unacceptable. The D did start to improve over the course of the game and the new players started to settle down as adjusments were made. It was the last 5 minutes that it all went haywire when we should have and could have closed the game out on offense THREE TIMES

I see both sides of the arguement it depends on how you look at it and if you have trust in the coaches/players to get better or not. This defense has monster potential. Weve always known the season depends on how fast they grow up. That hasnt changed.

ok go back to dissecting the numbers.

1 tackle for a loss.

I've never even heard of such a thing.

It's when the team on defense tackles the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage and they lose yardage instead of gain yardage.

as long as we dont hit him to hard, than its a penalty and doesnt count