Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

Given the youth, there is more reason for optimism then there ever was last year. Those guys were veterans, therefore the room for improvement wasn't much in comparison to the defense that we fielded this year. Bo should be able to expedite the growth of this group. I would expect a vastly different looking defense from the Wyoming game to the Northwestern game. If the offense can get their sh#t together, and get us through UCLA, I don't see a reason why we can't be 7-0 going into the Northwestern game.

At this point, it is absolutely paramount that our offense plays at a very high level. If they can buy this defense some time to grow, I think we can still meet our goals for the year. It's on the offense right now....

Where was the good body of work though? I saw individuals show good things at times throughout the game, but our D didn't play well as a unit all game in my eyes. I think we'll play a lot better come next week and hope we bring our A game come UCLA, but it doesn't mean I'm going to say our D played well for the first 3 quarters, THEN went crummy.

pretty sure no one said that. Ive said they started to settle down and play better, and the staff made some adjustments that helped. It certainly wasnt the CCG all over again where the adjustments didnt help, they clearly settled down and played better. If the offense gets a 4th and 1 the score ends 44-21 and we only give up 450-500 yrds and 21pts, and everyone would be saying our defense really got settled in and didnt look too bad for its first time out.

When you consider how many people were playing for the first time

VV

McMullen

Gregory

Gerry

Banderas

Maurice

Collins

Along with guys playing new positions or have very very limited experience at their respective positions

Santos

Moss

Curry

Cooper

Jackson

Green

Siesay

Thats the whole damn defense. As Benning said thats the facts, not an excuse, thats a fact. 4 guys with game experience at their positions and we expected....?

Very good points and one I have tried to make elsewhere.

Which falls in line with a quote from JP:

>> Communication among defenders, Papuchis said, was “good and bad.” Adjustments took longer than any game Papuchis said he’s coached as a defensive coordinator. The staff had to make multiple explanations.

“I only saw two offensive plays the whole game,” Papuchis said. “Usually, you make your corrections and kind of see what’s going with the game. I didn’t see any of our game. Because it was constantly going over and going over and going over. Our guys got it eventually.”

LINK

Which, you are going to have when you have this many players playing in their first college game as true freshmen and sophomores.

Well, 7-5 isnt outta the question. Best case scenario, 9-3, reg season, provided they get their act together.

Friendly wager. Set the line at 8.5. If I win, you don't come back to HB.

Theres already so much riding on the season, do you really want to put that kind of pressure on the team?

Q, if he took that bet, with that same line, would you sign a petition to fire pelini if under?

If it included a waiver for catastrophic injuries, yes.

Well, 7-5 isnt outta the question. Best case scenario, 9-3, reg season, provided they get their act together.

Theres already so much riding on the season, do you really want to put that kind of pressure on the team?

Q, if he took that bet, with that same line, would you sign a petition to fire pelini if under?

Just playing Devils Advocate by the way, in no way do I want him gone.

I'll take that bet all day. I would go as far to say if we go under i'll stop posting, and if we go over Matt Damon's gone.

AA why do you always defend the outcast?

Hedley

Wifi

and now Matt Damon. Dont get it?

I am not worried, the D looks decent with the new crew aboard. Notice Bo did not have the torch and noose for the refs in the game. Yes, he was not happy on some calls by the refs but he channled the fire elsewhere. Some better do some research on other teams D had given up 600 yards, even the so called elites had their butt whipped up. This is not a rare thing.

Next game.

GO BIG RED!!!

A&M gave up 509 yards to Rice last weekend.

Better than 602

Do some more research. Get ready for this weeks game.

Edit: look at past history, I should of said that first.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

Not sure where else to post this. Some extended highlights of the defense for those of us without BTN.

Some good stuff here and some good sets we saw in the second half. Anyone notice that once Smith ran for that long one up the middle we changed the way we defended the five wide set? Instead of our LB shifting with the RB, our outside DE (Either Moss or Gregory don't believe it was ever McMullen or Ankrah) shifted outside and they would guard the RB until he ran his drag pattern across to the MIKE? That really helped secure the middle of the field from a five wide set.

Are you accusing our coaching staff of making defensive adjustments?

Yes????

...and our defense gave up 28 plays of 10 yards or longer (good for dead last in the nation). That spanned far more than the last 5 minutes.

And they gave up a school record 35 first downs over the course of the game.

In spite of all that, we held them to 21 points until the team lost focus/melt down (last 5 minutes) whatever excuse we want to use. Fact is, if you dont look at the numbers (just for a second) and watch how the game unfolds it tells a different story than just strictly looking at the numbers, which i agree are unacceptable. The D did start to improve over the course of the game and the new players started to settle down as adjusments were made. It was the last 5 minutes that it all went haywire when we should have and could have closed the game out on offense THREE TIMES

I see both sides of the arguement it depends on how you look at it and if you have trust in the coaches/players to get better or not. This defense has monster potential. Weve always known the season depends on how fast they grow up. That hasnt changed.

ok go back to dissecting the numbers.

1 tackle for a loss.

I've never even heard of such a thing.

It's when the team on defense tackles the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage and they lose yardage instead of gain yardage.

• Fire 1