College Recruiting Process

GM_Tood

Anyone currently/recently gone through the NCAA recruiting process? My daughter is starting to get letters from various colleges with regards to the possibilities of playing volleyball for them.

I barely remember my recruiting process...since it was ~25yrs ago. I imagine alot has changed, and I wanted to get some feedback/tips/etc. We haven't created any online profiles/videos yet. No replies have been sent yet..though her club director thinks she should begin the relationships and to even reach out to schools that she has not heard from. The families that we know that have daugthers playing college vb were locked into the school of choice right away so they couldn't really offer much. And I have already done the "giyf" route with little luck.

She knows that vb isn't going to pay the bills in the future...but, a method to get her education paid for. So, right now, she isn't too concerned with who the schools are...but what type of education she can get yet still play the sport that she loves.

Like I said, any feedback/etc is appreciated, and if you would rather PM that works too.

Not sure if I should have thrown this in the Recruiting forums or not...

Tood, what level is she realistically looking at competing at?

She has received letters from D-I (Mo Valley/Mid-American/Atlantic Sun) to NAIA schools. Taking my parent hat off, I think she would have success at the small D-I schools. By no means does she or I expect her to play for any big time vb schools. The tallest she will get is close to 5'10". She still has a good chunk of her high school career to go as well.

She has received letters from D-I (Mo Valley/Mid-American/Atlantic Sun) to NAIA schools. Taking my parent hat off, I think she would have success at the small D-I schools. By no means does she or I expect her to play for any big time vb schools. She still has a good chunk of her high school career to go as well.

Other people will be able to give you more informed answers as far as details and logistics, but here's what I've got big-picture-wise for whatever it's worth:

If she's good enough for any bit of DI, I'd say encourage her to go that route, even if it meant less of a chance to play and contribute. I know it's true in football and I'm pretty sure in all sports that DI scholarships operate as a head-count whereas DII and lower scholarships are just a sum of money that can be split into chunks. That means it's rare to see full scholarships outside of DI - coaches will cut them up into halves or fourths really easily, whereas they aren't allowed to do that at Division I schools - it's either full ride or none at all.

So I would look for a place that has the best balance of quality/respected education, commitment to helping student athletes excel and honoring their scholarships. Hopefully she can find a place that works for her and also lets her enjoy something she loves doing for another 4-5 years.

She has received letters from D-I (Mo Valley/Mid-American/Atlantic Sun) to NAIA schools. Taking my parent hat off, I think she would have success at the small D-I schools. By no means does she or I expect her to play for any big time vb schools. She still has a good chunk of her high school career to go as well.

Other people will be able to give you more informed answers as far as details and logistics, but here's what I've got big-picture-wise for whatever it's worth:

If she's good enough for any bit of DI, I'd say encourage her to go that route, even if it meant less of a chance to play and contribute. I know it's true in football and I'm pretty sure in all sports that DI scholarships operate as a head-count whereas DII and lower scholarships are just a sum of money that can be split into chunks. That means it's rare to see full scholarships outside of DI - coaches will cut them up into halves or fourths really easily, whereas they aren't allowed to do that at Division I schools - it's either full ride or none at all.

So I would look for a place that has the best balance of quality/respected education, commitment to helping student athletes excel and honoring their scholarships. Hopefully she can find a place that works for her and also lets her enjoy something she loves doing for another 4-5 years.

I don't think that this is true. I've known numerous people in lower-tiered sports who have been on tuition + meal plan, or meal plan, or just tuition combinations.

I don't think that this is true. I've known numerous people in lower-tiered sports who have been on tuition + meal plan, or meal plan, or just tuition combinations.

It's not unprecedented, but usually the only schools that are able to or decide to do full scholarships at DII or NAIA are private schools with a lot of cash. A lot of the Division II conferences even have smaller scholarship restrictions than the NCAA allows to make an equal playing field for the schools without the budgets. For example, DII allows 36 "full" football scholarships - the NSIC, a 16-team conference of northern/midwest schools has a conference maximum of 28 or 30, I believe.

http://beta.active.com/football/articles/crunching-the-numbers-football-scholarships

Scholarship count: FBS programs are allowed 85 scholarships on its roster at any given time, and generally can sign up to 25 players per year.

Scholarship breakdown: All 85 scholarships are full rides. There are no partial scholarships given in FBSfootball.

Scholarship Count: Division II programs have 36 scholarships to be distributed, though some conferences don't allow their schools to have that many.

Scholarship Breakdown: Football scholarships at Division-II institutions can be divided among as many players as a program wishes. Most Division-II players are on partial scholarships.

^^^ Yeah, so per your quotes, other than in college football, scholarships CAN be split up, even for FBS schools.

Am I missing somewhere on there that it references non-football sports? It was news to me that FCS has partial scholarships, but the link is specifically in regards to football and I didn't see it make any statements for other sports, but I might have missed it.

One of the non-DI letters did state that (at this institution) she could get ~8k/yr for athletic and the rest could be made up via academic. The cost of tuition to this school is ~16k/yr. She would need to come up with ~8k/yr in acedemic if given the full amount of athletic scholarship. This specific institution stated that they target specific club atheletes with certain GPA as well.

^^^ Yeah, so per your quotes, other than in college football, scholarships CAN be split up, even for FBS schools.

Am I missing somewhere on there that it references non-football sports? It was news to me that FCS has partial scholarships, but the link is specifically in regards to football and I didn't see it make any statements for other sports, but I might have missed it.

Scholarship count: FBS programs are allowed 85 scholarships on its roster at any given time, and generally can sign up to 25 players per year.

Scholarship breakdown: All 85 scholarships are full rides. There are no partial scholarships given in FBSfootball.

I'm assuming that since it explicitly states that there are not partial scholarships for FBS football that there are partial scholarships for other sports at this level. I could be wrong, but my experiences suggest otherwise.

I'm assuming that since it explicitly states that there are not partial scholarships for FBS football that there are partial scholarships for other sports at this level. I could be wrong, but my experiences suggest otherwise.

I think it's only mentioning football because the article in general is only focused on football - it isn't making any statements about other sports one way or the other.

Just looked through the same site, and it's the same in volleyball, at least. Division 1 is head-count only.