Yet another thread about being soft on defense

lo country

I added "on defense" so that this thread could have some form of discussion before going off track!

In the OWH, Dirk had an interesting article about back-to-back TD's given up by teams. in 2009, Bo's D gave up NONE. Amazing. Especially, as Dirk noted, we had no offense. Actually a really good article on this stat.

Here is the scary part to me ref Bo's tenure:

"Back-to-back-to-back-to-back TD drives — something that happened only four times in four years to Kevin Cosgrove — has hit Bo’s defense three times in the past 12 games. The tougher the situation, the worse they play."

In 2009, Bo's D was lights out with an O that couldn't score if its life depended on it. The teams we faced, IMO, were much better. Watching the presser, I really hope Bo gets it figured out and really realizes a lot rests on him. IMO, this soul searching might lead him to the place of having to fire some folks.

It's Martinez' fault.

Sure it aint Beck's? Or Doc Sadler's?

Positive. It's Bo's.

Time to take the blinders off. We are not getting better, no matter how you spin it.

Thor... few here are as down on things as I... but even I think NU will get better on defense --- even over the next few weeks. As guys like Valentine, Gerry, Banderas, Gregory, and a slew of other newer athletes get some more experience they will improve some and that should be a modest improvement for the unit. Now the unit could get beat down and lose confidence and not really improve much (or at all). But there is at least as good a chance that there will be improvement. Great improvement? probably not. Some improvement? I think so.

It's Martinez' fault.

Sure it aint Beck's? Or Doc Sadler's?

Positive. It's Bo's.

Time to take the blinders off. We are not getting better, no matter how you spin it.

Thor... few here are as down on things as I... but even I think NU will get better on defense --- even over the next few weeks. As guys like Valentine, Gerry, Banderas, Gregory, and a slew of other newer athletes get some more experience they will improve some and that should be a modest improvement for the unit. Now the unit could get beat down and lose confidence and not really improve much (or at all). But there is at least as good a chance that there will be improvement. Great improvement? probably not. Some improvement? I think so.

I believe we have the athletes also. What I don't believe any longer is that we have someone that can teach them.

This is nothing different than what we have all discussed in the past, like this 2 gap sh#t. It may be different if we could see that they are trying something different. What we see week after week is just the definition of insanity.