you guys remember Bret Bielema?

MichiganMan

I doubt he gets fired in the next three years because of the huge amonut of money Arkansas would have to pay. Now if were to resign or take another job that is a different matter. I think he may win a conference game this year, maybe two but it will be tough.

Sure it can happen. One of those teams might slip. Maybe his team gels quickly. But if we are looking at it under a microscope, it's maybe one of the 2 Mississippi schools. And even that is a big maybe.

I doubt he gets fired in the next three years because of the huge amonut of money Arkansas would have to pay. Now if were to resign or take another job that is a different matter. I think he may win a conference game this year, maybe two but it will be tough.

Sure it can happen. One of those teams might slip. Maybe his team gels quickly. But if we are looking at it under a microscope, it's maybe one of the 2 Mississippi schools. And even that is a big maybe.

Yea those are the two I would circle as well, and maybe LSU because for some reason they always play close.

Maybe he will surprise someone but I am not sure he gets his first conference win next year either.

In which case he might not ever get it - at Arky at least.

He's a good coach. There is no denying that. I am sure he will get Kentucky or Vanderbilt on the schedule again. And the Mississippi schools are usually not good for very long. There is some hope for him. The question will be if he is retained long enough to get that win.

That's what I was getting at. But Bucky is probably right - the buyout might buy him more time.

Maybe he will surprise someone but I am not sure he gets his first conference win next year either.

In which case he might not ever get it - at Arky at least.

He's a good coach. There is no denying that. I am sure he will get Kentucky or Vanderbilt on the schedule again. And the Mississippi schools are usually not good for very long. There is some hope for him. The question will be if he is retained long enough to get that win.

That's what I was getting at. But Bucky is probably right - the buyout might buy him more time.

Wonder what Husker Nation would say if he were a candidate for say OC if or when Beck leaves.

Bielema falling flat on his face is a testament to how much stronger the SEC is than the Big Ten...or proof that karma does exist.
I think it's more instructive to see what happens when an entire team switches rather than one person.

The SEC is probably a little tougher, but Arkansas has very little talent. They are located in between Texas, A&M, LSU, and OU. It's hard to recruit there. Petrino did a LOT with what little talent he had. Bielema had a big talent deficiency from Wisconsin to Arky.

Just want to add that it doesn't change the fact that I think Bielema was a bad hire and that Wisconsin came away with a big coaching upgrade out of the whole deal. And no, please don't be the smartass that tells me how many Rose Bowls Bielema got to. I know.

Just want to add that it doesn't change the fact that I think Bielema was a bad hire and that Wisconsin came away with a big coaching upgrade out of the whole deal. And no, please don't be the smartass that tells me how many Rose Bowls Bielema got to. I know.

I agree with you. Although one of those Rose Bowls were a direct result of OSU and PSU being under sanctions.

I agree with you. Although one of those Rose Bowls were a direct result of OSU and PSU being under sanctions.

And getting to play Nebraska in the championship game.

Speaking with someone who has followed the Arkansas program for a long time, he expects decent things with Bielema, but feels it will take time. And I agree. I'd say it was actually an OK hire, but the program he took over was in the dumps. He's not going to turn them into world beaters or anything, but he'll do alright. And right now that's what Arkansas needs, someone that can just get them back on the right track.

My friend in Arkansas knows a great deal about their football program, so I feel pretty comfortable with my position when we agree.

Speaking with someone who has followed the Arkansas program for a long time, he expects decent things with Bielema, but feels it will take time. And I agree. I'd say it was actually an OK hire, but the program he took over was in the dumps. He's not going to turn them into world beaters or anything, but he'll do alright. And right now that's what Arkansas needs, someone that can just get them back on the right track.

My friend in Arkansas knows a great deal about their football program, so I feel pretty comfortable with my position when we agree.

His success was predicated off of Alvarez's recruits and was on his way down when they left. And Arkansas picks him up. I see no upside to having Alvarez as a coach.