For Better or Worse...NEB is Sticking with Tommy Armstrong

I agree guys. They need to start pounding the rock more -- and just see if it'll spring loose a few long runs. Let's see if Imani Cross can become a down hill running threat. The offensive line is going to have to step it up for that to occur -- and I know they're banged up and whatnot, so I'm asking a lot...but I'd like to see a down hill running presence from our group of running backs.

I would also add that the types of throws Beck is asking TA to make are not high percentage throws, which suggests they believe TA has the skills already to complete them...just probably not the confidence or vision (yet).

However, I don't see why Beck wouldn't call for more high percentage throws just to build confidence and get TA comfortable. A lot of the downfield stuff was off, and the outsides were available for quick slants, screens, etc., which would help with the problem of NW stacking the box.

That's a calculated risk and it's what our offense is based on, in my opinion. A quick slant doesn't force the defense to keep their safeties deep. And if Tommy has trouble making reads, he's just as likely to misdiagnose a short pass. We set up the run and then go for it deep. He can make these throws, too. If we don't get one, no big deal, we try to spring a big play another one. I don't think our offense is designed to play safe and get into 3rd and short situations, because Tommy isn't a guy that will read coverages and give us a consistent pick-apart-the-defense on a 3rd & 4 pass, and obviously we can't run all the time on 3rd & short. Our offense wants to hit the big play early and that's our best shot.

AA was hurt this week and that's why we didn't see the run more. EZ keeps talking about getting an understanding of what we're trying to do on offense and I think we should pay attention to him on this one. Offensive coordinators get the same criticisms thrown at them -- too simple, too complicated, calling the same plays over and over, going away from what's working -- and it's rarely valid. Beck has a pretty good system going on and at least when the backup QBs are in there, has been calling pretty solid games.