Strength and Conditioning/Alabama 60 Minutes

gorp512

I know there has been some talk about strength and conditioning (or lack thereof) . Showtime' s 60 Minutes Sports did a great piece on Alabama and their S&T program. There are good facilities and training programs, but then there is Alabama. They are making machines over there. It is on demand and certainly worth a look.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/11/live_updates_alabamas_scott_co.html

I think a lot of poor performance on the field has to do with a lack of physicality during practice as during the Ozburn era. If you read any of TO's books post-1997, when he talks about the championship years, he told the players they had to be willing to pay the physical price during practice.

We were so soft during the Callahan era because much of the time the 2-deeps got most of the reps. I remember a TO quote while watching Billy C's practice in 07: "There sure is a lot of standing around."

I think this staff's practice regimen, while above Billy C's in terms of physicality, is still way easier than TO's.

I think a lot of poor performance on the field has to do with a lack of physicality during practice as during the Ozburn era. If you read any of TO's books post-1997, when he talks about the championship years, he told the players they had to be willing to pay the physical price during practice.

We were so soft during the Callahan era because much of the time the 2-deeps got most of the reps. I remember a TO quote while watching Billy C's practice in 07: "There sure is a lot of standing around."

I think this staff's practice regimen, while above Billy C's in terms of physicality, is still way easier than TO's.

Agreed. For all of the talk Pelini does about toughness and physicality, the talk isn't backed up by how he runs the practices and program.