Possibly too concerned with national image?

In reading the board and other media about the program, I started to wonder whether we have become too concerned with our image on a national stage? Is there such a thing?

I understand the concern with image and recruiting. National image could play an impact with that. However I also wonder whether we have started to worry more about what the talking heads at ESPN or whomever think and speak about.

The reason I ask is because I thought back to 1995 (I was starting elementary school so my perspective is limited). I do remember and have read about how criticized Tom was for playing Lawrence Phillips and Christian Peter but played them anyways. Going farther back, keeping Johnny Rodgers after his legal troubles. I'm not trying to bring Osborne into this at all. I am curious how the fans took the media coverage and the decisions? Obviously media has changed dramatically over the years but I wonder if those changes have caused the fans to be more swayed with every story, tweet or post.

Not trying to be critical of anyone or any group in particular, just curious whether I'm on an island in this curiosity or if others share a similar perspective. Thanks in advance.

A lot of people on here are adamant they don't care what the media or talking heads think. But they also spend a hell of a lot of time discussing what they think and say, posting quotes to support their beliefs, etc. It's pretty funny.

If we're constantly being mocked by national media that's probably not helping recruiting or our program as a whole.

A lot of people on here are adamant they don't care what the media or talking heads think. But they also spend a hell of a lot of time discussing what they think and say, posting quotes to support their beliefs, etc. It's pretty funny.

If we're constantly being mocked by national media that's probably not helping recruiting or our program as a whole.

This. If we are a laughing stock (which we are right now) is not good for anything, and bad for the enrollment of the student body in general.