Can I Get an Offensive Tackle Please?

And I disagree with the post above that the walk-ons playing was a sign of a recruiting problem. Those kids were recruited, first of all, and they beat out scholarship players to get on the field.

Spencer Long beating out a scholly guy is certainly not a sign of a recruiting problem. The guy is just flat out good. Him starting as a sophomore however...might be a sign. He wasn't exactly a dominant force 2 years ago. Add in the fact that Caputo and Choi were also able to beat out all of our scholly players...and there might have been a recruiting problem late in Cally's tenure, early in Bo's. It's not like any of those 3 in 2011 were dominant. None of them would have been starting on the OLs that we remember from back in the day. None of them would have sniffed the field on a Wisconsin or Stanford team. None of them would have started this year.

I do agree with you though - because a walk-on plays does not mean there is an issue with recruiting, and even when a average at best walk-on plays it does not mean there is a problem with recruiting...but when 3 average at best walk-ons are all playing relatively the same position...it's pretty hard to come to any other conclusion than there being a recruiting problem at the position.

(One that appears to have been fixed for the short term)

So walk-ons playing is only good if they're all-Americans. Got it. ;)

He was an All-American as a sophomore? Crap he was good.

And by the way, milt tenopir said choi would have been a multi-year starter in the 90's.

Yeah, ARod in front of him was just too much to overcome in 2011 or else he could have been a multi-year starter. Tough to beat out someone as powering at ARod. (do i need to add the sarcasm sign?)

Ha, touché. To his credit, he was splitting time with a guy that was a top recruit and supposedly had a lot of potential. I think that may have played a role in the coaches continuing to favor arod.

And to arod's credit, I think he developed into a pretty decent right tackle over the last couple of years.

I do take tenopir's statement with a grain of salt, but choi was a pretty decent player for us.

Ha, touché. To his credit, he was splitting time with a guy that was a top recruit and supposedly had a lot of potential. I think that may have played a role in the coaches continuing to favor arod.

And to arod's credit, I think he developed into a pretty decent right tackle over the last couple of years.

I do take tenopir's statement with a grain of salt, but choi was a pretty decent player for us.

Yeah Choi was good. If he could have had 1 more year in the program he would have been a solid OL for us. Just a little to raw to start. An NFL team should have taken a shot at him just based on potential. MIght have paid off.

Alex Lewis will be eligible?... for what? Probation? Parole?

Last I heard, the were discrepancies in the witness statements about what happened. That was a few months ago, and I'm not sure where the case is headed now.

Lewis apparently pled to a misdemeanor. Assuming he manages to avoid further problems, that should give us an experienced tackle for the next couple of seasons.

• Fire 1

Choi was an excellent run blocker but struggled pass blocking. So I think that it is plausible that he would have been able to start multiple years in the 90's.